NYU 2Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am

ph5354a wrote:
joiedevivre18 wrote:
02889 wrote:Bumping the question -- has anyone negotiated merit or need aid with NYU, and if so, which schools did you use and for how much?

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) are in the position of having money at UVA or Penn and facing sticker at NYU. Do people in this situation ever get a bump in award, or do they just not attend NYU unless they're obsessed with New York?
+1 on this. Similar situation
The above discussion is more important, so if any 1Ls are reading this answer that first but...

Since the law preview appears to be useless, what are the study guides/prep books that could be helpful to read prior to classes? I'm not as gunnery as I sound, but my job is boring and I need to channel my excited energy towards something semi-productive. Any recommendations?

My two cents re: NYU at sticker would be that it entirely depends on where you want to practice. If you're dead set on New York, sticker might be worth it depending on how much $ you're turning down at Penn. If you're open to NYC, DC, or Philly, then it seems silly to give up money (and cheaper COL) to pay sticker at NYU, but you could probably justify it either way.
3) sticker at NYU v. Penn at 30K = Penn.
2) maybe read Getting to Maybe - nothing else.
1) My friend ED'd to NYU, got nothing, negotiated to 30K overall. Supposedly NYU/CLS don't negotiate with each other, but if they're willing to negotiate when you have no other options, who knows. I do think they care more about saying "look, I'm poor and am getting no family contribution and here's why," than saying "hey dude, UVA's giving me 75K. What do you got????"

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks, Jam.

Is it crazy to negotiate for a specific amount in an appeal? I.e. ask for $25 and hope they meet me in the middle at $20? Btw, I'm changing my approach and doing a more need-based appeal (since theoretically, Dean's Awards incorporate need and merit, right?). I have a few issues that I already addressed on Need Access that I am going to emphasize (lack of assistance from parents, misleading income amount on my tax returns, etc.) But I still spend the first paragraph talking about how much I love NYU, so hopefully they don't yank my award.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 pm

ph5354a wrote:Thanks, Jam.

Is it crazy to negotiate for a specific amount in an appeal? I.e. ask for $25 and hope they meet me in the middle at $20? Btw, I'm changing my approach and doing a more need-based appeal (since theoretically, Dean's Awards incorporate need and merit, right?). I have a few issues that I already addressed on Need Access that I am going to emphasize (lack of assistance from parents, misleading income amount on my tax returns, etc.) But I still spend the first paragraph talking about how much I love NYU, so hopefully they don't yank my award.
I wouldn't approach it in terms of needing x dollars. I'd just say that 'school x gave me $yy' but I'd rather come here. Is there anything you can do," or "my family hasn't the money to contribute and my savings are $zz, and although I know employment prospects are great, I'd feel a lot more comfortable not paying (total COA - scholarship)."

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Thanks, Jam.

I wouldn't approach it in terms of needing x dollars. I'd just say that 'school x gave me $yy' but I'd rather come here. Is there anything you can do," or "my family hasn't the money to contribute and my savings are $zz, and although I know employment prospects are great, I'd feel a lot more comfortable not paying (total COA - scholarship)."
Thanks again for the advice! That's essentially what I said in the letter. Ill keep everyone posted on what I hear back. I know you'll all be waiting on pins and needles.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Edited to reflect making my own goddamn decision instead of asking for TLS advice on every little thing :D :D

I made a decision thread if anyone has any thoughts/advice on my Cornell $$ vs. NYU $ conundrum!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206760

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Guessing this thread will slow down as you all start studying for finals --good luck!

Does anyone know about Spire Realty? I've been seeing their postings a lot lately. Are these 2 bedrooms legit (I realize some of them are converted)?

--LinkRemoved--

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:Guessing this thread will slow down as you all start studying for finals --good luck!

Does anyone know about Spire Realty? I've been seeing their postings a lot lately. Are these 2 bedrooms legit (I realize some of them are converted)?

--LinkRemoved--
extremely mixed reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/spire-group-new ... e%20realty

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Guessing this thread will slow down as you all start studying for finals --good luck!

--LinkRemoved--
Haha i saw that, looked them up right after I posted (probs should've done that before). Basically all either 1 or 5 stars.

Thanks again for all your help this cycle, Jam. You and the rest of the 1Ls on here have been so helpful.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 pm

ph5354a wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Haha i saw that, looked them up right after I posted (probs should've done that before). Basically all either 1 or 5 stars.

Thanks again for all your help this cycle, Jam. You and the rest of the 1Ls on here have been so helpful.
I thought you decided to go to Cornell because of like free housing or something (only skimmed that thread)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I thought you decided to go to Cornell because of like free housing or something (only skimmed that thread)?
Essentially undecided. It comes and goes. Don't trust anything I say.

Currently trying to find people in my life that think NYU is worth the extra $90k. ASW sure did a number on me.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm

fair enough. Good luck. Let me know if you need anything.

Augustus

New

Post by Augustus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 pm

I was wondering if any current students can offer their perspective on going to NYU @ sticker.

I appealed, and they said they could still give me nothing--does anyone ever appeal twice if they got rejected the first time?

You can look at my past posts (there aren't many) to see my other options in a thread I started. After school visits, I have narrowed down my choices to NYU (sticker) or Chicago ($30K, negotiated for more). If I went to NYU, I would be living with my girlfriend (who would be working), which would cut down significantly on living expenses as we both live frugally. I would not take out the full loan amount.

I'm looking to work in NYC at a big law firm for 3-5 years, then move in-house or into government. Am I crazy to do sticker at NYU? Do you know many people paying sticker?

(For the record, I have large scholarships to Cornell and Duke, but I do not want to live in Ithaca or Durham, believe I'll have better firms/exit options with Chi/NYU, and generally don't think I'd be happy at either.)

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Hey Augustus, I'm an 0L, but just a couple questions: did you negotiate with NYU before or after your Chicago offer, and do your total COAs in your other thread include the savings of living with your gf in NYC, or are those just total COA minus scholarships?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Augustus

New

Post by Augustus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

ph5354a wrote:Hey Augustus, I'm an 0L, but just a couple questions: did you negotiate with NYU before or after your Chicago offer, and do your total COAs in your other thread include the savings of living with your gf in NYC, or are those just total COA minus scholarships?
I used my Chicago offer and my Duke offer in negotiating. The COA in that thread was just minus scholarships.

Just doing some rough calculations off the student expense budget NYU posts, my total COA would probably $150-$180.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Augustus wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Hey Augustus, I'm an 0L, but just a couple questions: did you negotiate with NYU before or after your Chicago offer, and do your total COAs in your other thread include the savings of living with your gf in NYC, or are those just total COA minus scholarships?
I used my Chicago offer and my Duke offer in negotiating. The COA in that thread was just minus scholarships.

Just doing some rough calculations off the student expense budget NYU posts, my total COA would probably $150-$180.
Got it. It would be useful to do some more calculations looking at exactly how much the difference in rent would be from Chicago and NYC. Scholarship money at Chicago is amazing, but that gap may quickly close depending on how much you can save by living with your girlfriend. Just a thought. Like a lot of us trying to decide, you have amazing choices and can't go wrong.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Essentially undecided. It comes and goes. Don't trust anything I say.

Currently trying to find people in my life that think NYU is worth the extra $90k. ASW sure did a number on me.
90k is a lot of money. But Ithaca fucking sucks. tough choice man.
Can you think of any ways you can go to NYU and spend less? Maybe time to find a girl/boyfriend in NYC you can crash with for three years? bartending classes? pole dancing classes? lol jk. maybe not.

hinakas

New

Post by hinakas » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm really terrible at using the forum search. How difficult/competitive is it to get spots in clinics? Are people usually able to participate in the ones they want?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:49 pm

hinakas wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm really terrible at using the forum search. How difficult/competitive is it to get spots in clinics? Are people usually able to participate in the ones they want?
Getting "a" clinic is guaranteed basically. Certain clinics are probably more/less difficult

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:58 am

How (un)likely is it that a 1L could land a studio on campus?

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:13 am

risa wrote:How (un)likely is it that a 1L could land a studio on campus?
In campus housing? Pretty unlikely, I'd say. Probably easier to look at non-school housing in the area.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 am

risa wrote:How (un)likely is it that a 1L could land a studio on campus?
I know of a few 1Ls who did, but they were by far in the minority (those that did were mostly in D'Ag). If you're dead-set on a studio, your best option may be to look at off-campus listings, although it will be expensive in the neighborhoods closest to NYU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I could apply for one and just see what happens. I'm really stressed/overwhelmed by the apartment-finding process in NYC, but very set on living by myself. I'm afraid if I don't just live in student housing that my summer off will wind up being stressful and spent apartment hunting instead of relaxing and traveling like I planned to do between quitting my job and starting school!

Any recommendations for decent brokers? Not sure if they specialize by area, but I'm mostly interested in Brooklyn or possibly lower east side. I assume there is no way I can afford anything near the village if living alone. I saw someone mention Corcoran several pages back. Any other broker recommendations? Since it seems fairly likely I'll have to pay a broker fee no matter what, I'm tempted to just go that route first if it would mean a little less stress and more time to relax this summer, even if it's a heavier cost up front.

I assume NYU doesn't help us with finding off campus housing at all?

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 pm

risa wrote:
I assume NYU doesn't help us with finding off campus housing at all?

NYU actually helps a little, they have a deal with City Habitats for a reduced fee (though they are the most expensive so that might not make it reduced) and they have a page on the website with recommendations for brokers websites etc. also check out nofeerentals.com they have a few studios up there.

I spent the month of august looking for my apt it was stressful but worth it in the end.

Also join coases once you can (get you nyu net id and email) a lot of people are giving up looking for apts etc

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

More housing questions! Thanks for everyone's advice and wisdom so far.

Is any part of the NYC apartment hunt a cashless process where credit cards are an option, or should I plan (hope) to have like $12,000 in my bank account this summer to really make this possible? There's no way I'll be able to get a guarantor, so in the event that I have to pay first two month's rent, last two month's rent, another security deposit, and possibly a broker's fee on top, is there any way I can dump at least some of that on my visa?

Also, with no guarantor and only student loans for income, should I expect to get dozens of renters saying "haha, nope!" before one agrees?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:18 pm

02889 wrote: Also, with no guarantor and only student loans for income, should I expect to get dozens of renters saying "haha, nope!" before one agrees?
I'm sorry that I'm following you around the NYU threads answering all of your questions meant for 1L's :D but...I noticed this on the general NYU Off-Campus Housing website the other day that may help you. Once you're deposited, if you haven't already, it could be worth asking financial aid about.

"Some academic departments at NYU offer a guarantor, so be sure to speak to the head of your NYU department about what assistance they can offer. If you are at NYU on a grant/scholarship, speak to Financial Aid about assistance offered by scholarship/grant organizations."

http://www.nyu.edu/life/living-at-nyu/o ... tment.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”