NYU 2Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby Swimp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 am

ph5354a wrote:
Swimp wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I'm not sure if NetID is the same thing, or if you get that sooner and get the email address later --but it looks like people got NetIDs in April last year.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=164059&start=150


Actually, looks like it was February.


True --I skipped ahead too far. Have you asked about it yet? Seems like ED deposits should've gotten it by now based on last year.

ETA: "Beginning in February, all students who submit a tuition deposit will be assigned a Net ID and University ID. Please note that once the Office of Admissions has received and processed your Intention to Enroll form (which can take up to ten business days), it may take an additional 72 hours before you can obtain your NetID and University ID, and activate your NYUHome account."

http://www.law.nyu.edu/admittedstudents ... /index.htm

Maybe they're behind?


Well I haven't asked since I emailed back in...January, I guess (I was asking about something else--I just added a question about the home account at the end out of curiosity). I feel a little silly hassling the Admissions people about this, since it's not like there's anything for me to do with the account.

User avatar
dcg2120
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby dcg2120 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

bsinoff wrote:That being said I have been to NYC and spent like a day in San Fran but honestly don't have a great picture of either other than my friends who live in both places telling me that they live in the best city on earth. I'm not worried about money because I have settled on the fact that I am going to be in debt for the next 10+ years after going to school in either location, but what I am worried about is the environment. I live in denver and love rock climbing and snowboarding, I grew up surfing in florida and I really need an outdoors outlet.

0L here, but maybe I can help because I've been living in NYC. There's some nice hiking north of the city (Bear Mountain is very pleasant), although it's much gentler than the trails you are probably used to out West. The Catskills are nice, but very far for a day trip.

There's some outdoor bouldering in Central Park--I don't do much climbing but my friends who do seem satisfied, if not overjoyed, by the options. Check out: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/Nort ... tral_Park/.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am

My bad. This whole convo reminded me of a lengthy hassle I had to go through to get my NetID last year, which is why I had to wait till June

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 am

bsinoff wrote:Just got admitted (woot) literally was shaking when I got the call. I'm currently a WL at Berkeley and hold at Columbia (but unlikely to be admitted based on #s). Just in case I do get admitted I really have got to get my personal rankings straight because I may have a matter of days to decide on everything.

That being said I have been to NYC and spent like a day in San Fran but honestly don't have a great picture of either other than my friends who live in both places telling me that they live in the best city on earth. I'm not worried about money because I have settled on the fact that I am going to be in debt for the next 10+ years after going to school in either location, but what I am worried about is the environment. I live in denver and love rock climbing and snowboarding, I grew up surfing in florida and I really need an outdoors outlet.

Beyond that I am just wondering why people went NYU and if anyone had a Columbia vs. NYU or a Berkeley vs. NYU situation and why they chose NYU

Also, I lied... I am worried about money, how much are the dorms on average and does anyone live with their girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife? What is that like?

oohhhh please come rock climb with me.

Do you trad climb?

User avatar
izy223
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby izy223 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Swimp wrote:I'm not sure what second deposit you're talking about, but I gave them the deposit with my intention to enroll form in December. I don't think they need any more money from me before the first tuition payment.



It couldve been the intent to enroll i remember giving a deposit (or maybe accepting a scholly) before finalizing everything with NYU and withdrawing from everywhere else. though it was last year and i may be making that u.

I do know that I did have email in april because i used it to join coases and look for a summer apt

bsinoff
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby bsinoff » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bsinoff wrote:Just got admitted (woot) literally was shaking when I got the call. I'm currently a WL at Berkeley and hold at Columbia (but unlikely to be admitted based on #s). Just in case I do get admitted I really have got to get my personal rankings straight because I may have a matter of days to decide on everything.

That being said I have been to NYC and spent like a day in San Fran but honestly don't have a great picture of either other than my friends who live in both places telling me that they live in the best city on earth. I'm not worried about money because I have settled on the fact that I am going to be in debt for the next 10+ years after going to school in either location, but what I am worried about is the environment. I live in denver and love rock climbing and snowboarding, I grew up surfing in florida and I really need an outdoors outlet.

Beyond that I am just wondering why people went NYU and if anyone had a Columbia vs. NYU or a Berkeley vs. NYU situation and why they chose NYU

Also, I lied... I am worried about money, how much are the dorms on average and does anyone live with their girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife? What is that like?

oohhhh please come rock climb with me.

Do you trad climb?


Haven't as of yet, but not for lack of trying! I mainly boulder but I am super interested in learning to trad climb. I'm hoping to make it out there sometime during summer so I definitely would like to get a good outdoors picture of NYC. Keep in touch if you are interested in meeting up!

0L here, but maybe I can help because I've been living in NYC. There's some nice hiking north of the city (Bear Mountain is very pleasant), although it's much gentler than the trails you are probably used to out West. The Catskills are nice, but very far for a day trip.

There's some outdoor bouldering in Central Park--I don't do much climbing but my friends who do seem satisfied, if not overjoyed, by the options. Check out: --LinkRemoved-- ... tral_Park/.



That sounds great, honestly all I need to know is that there are options. I went to brooklyn boulders about a year ago and was blown away by how great that gym was so I know there is a good climbing population

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 pm

bsinoff wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
bsinoff wrote:Just got admitted (woot) literally was shaking when I got the call. I'm currently a WL at Berkeley and hold at Columbia (but unlikely to be admitted based on #s). Just in case I do get admitted I really have got to get my personal rankings straight because I may have a matter of days to decide on everything.

That being said I have been to NYC and spent like a day in San Fran but honestly don't have a great picture of either other than my friends who live in both places telling me that they live in the best city on earth. I'm not worried about money because I have settled on the fact that I am going to be in debt for the next 10+ years after going to school in either location, but what I am worried about is the environment. I live in denver and love rock climbing and snowboarding, I grew up surfing in florida and I really need an outdoors outlet.

Beyond that I am just wondering why people went NYU and if anyone had a Columbia vs. NYU or a Berkeley vs. NYU situation and why they chose NYU

Also, I lied... I am worried about money, how much are the dorms on average and does anyone live with their girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife? What is that like?

oohhhh please come rock climb with me.

Do you trad climb?


Haven't as of yet, but not for lack of trying! I mainly boulder but I am super interested in learning to trad climb. I'm hoping to make it out there sometime during summer so I definitely would like to get a good outdoors picture of NYC. Keep in touch if you are interested in meeting up!

0L here, but maybe I can help because I've been living in NYC. There's some nice hiking north of the city (Bear Mountain is very pleasant), although it's much gentler than the trails you are probably used to out West. The Catskills are nice, but very far for a day trip.

There's some outdoor bouldering in Central Park--I don't do much climbing but my friends who do seem satisfied, if not overjoyed, by the options. Check out: --LinkRemoved-- ... tral_Park/.



That sounds great, honestly all I need to know is that there are options. I went to brooklyn boulders about a year ago and was blown away by how great that gym was so I know there is a good climbing population

I met some dude on a climbing forum who said he would be willing to meet some people to teach us trad. I've been climbing with people at the Palladium and we're gonna try to do something in Spring/Summer.

At the very least, Rat Rock

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby maggielizer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 pm

bsinoff wrote:Just got admitted (woot) literally was shaking when I got the call. I'm currently a WL at Berkeley and hold at Columbia (but unlikely to be admitted based on #s). Just in case I do get admitted I really have got to get my personal rankings straight because I may have a matter of days to decide on everything.

That being said I have been to NYC and spent like a day in San Fran but honestly don't have a great picture of either other than my friends who live in both places telling me that they live in the best city on earth. I'm not worried about money because I have settled on the fact that I am going to be in debt for the next 10+ years after going to school in either location, but what I am worried about is the environment. I live in denver and love rock climbing and snowboarding, I grew up surfing in florida and I really need an outdoors outlet.

Beyond that I am just wondering why people went NYU and if anyone had a Columbia vs. NYU or a Berkeley vs. NYU situation and why they chose NYU.


Berkeley UG grad here. The Bay Area might actually be the best place in the world. Even though I’m leaving it behind to pursue East Coast dreams, it was a tough call.

I’m not especially outdoorsy, but Berkeley – and most of the surrounding area – is full of nature (and those who love it a bit too much – shine on, tree sitters…). Lots of hiking, biking, swimming, etc. Never been rock climbing, but I don’t think you’d have trouble finding the opportunity/rocks. And surfing’s not as big in Nor Cal as farther south, but there’s still plenty of opportunity.

Culturally, it retains a lot of its legendary hippie vibe, but because the campus and city are so
large and diverse, you won’t have a problem finding your niche, even if you’re (the horror!) a conservative. So no fear if you aren’t a fan of socialism, vegan cuisine or marijuana.

The food is phenomenal. If you end up choosing Boalt over NYU, I have a recommendation for your first meal in Berkeley. There’s a brightly colored food shack/hut called Brazil Café directly west of campus on University. (It is essential that you go to the hut and not the restaurant by the same name). Order a tri tip sandwich and a mango smoothie.

All this said, I’ve spent very little time in NYC and it may be even cooler.

bsinoff
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby bsinoff » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bsinoff wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
bsinoff wrote:Just got admitted (woot) literally was shaking when I got the call. I'm currently a WL at Berkeley and hold at Columbia (but unlikely to be admitted based on #s). Just in case I do get admitted I really have got to get my personal rankings straight because I may have a matter of days to decide on everything.

That being said I have been to NYC and spent like a day in San Fran but honestly don't have a great picture of either other than my friends who live in both places telling me that they live in the best city on earth. I'm not worried about money because I have settled on the fact that I am going to be in debt for the next 10+ years after going to school in either location, but what I am worried about is the environment. I live in denver and love rock climbing and snowboarding, I grew up surfing in florida and I really need an outdoors outlet.

Beyond that I am just wondering why people went NYU and if anyone had a Columbia vs. NYU or a Berkeley vs. NYU situation and why they chose NYU

Also, I lied... I am worried about money, how much are the dorms on average and does anyone live with their girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife? What is that like?

oohhhh please come rock climb with me.

Do you trad climb?


Haven't as of yet, but not for lack of trying! I mainly boulder but I am super interested in learning to trad climb. I'm hoping to make it out there sometime during summer so I definitely would like to get a good outdoors picture of NYC. Keep in touch if you are interested in meeting up!

0L here, but maybe I can help because I've been living in NYC. There's some nice hiking north of the city (Bear Mountain is very pleasant), although it's much gentler than the trails you are probably used to out West. The Catskills are nice, but very far for a day trip.

There's some outdoor bouldering in Central Park--I don't do much climbing but my friends who do seem satisfied, if not overjoyed, by the options. Check out: --LinkRemoved-- ... tral_Park/.



That sounds great, honestly all I need to know is that there are options. I went to brooklyn boulders about a year ago and was blown away by how great that gym was so I know there is a good climbing population

I met some dude on a climbing forum who said he would be willing to meet some people to teach us trad. I've been climbing with people at the Palladium and we're gonna try to do something in Spring/Summer.

At the very least, Rat Rock



Nice! I'm going to be in Denver at through the summer but I'm really jealous that you are going to get some free trad lessons. It sounds really cool, but trad always seems a little sketchy (I watched vertical limit as a kid and am definitely not interested in cutting someone loose because my cams popped out...)

The CEO of my company trad climbs and he said that he would take me out over the summer though. I'm not sure how serious he was, but i've got my fingers crossed that he will 'show me the ropes' (bad joke... i'm sorry)

bsinoff
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby bsinoff » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Berkeley UG grad here. The Bay Area might actually be the best place in the world. Even though I’m leaving it behind to pursue East Coast dreams, it was a tough call.

I’m not especially outdoorsy, but Berkeley – and most of the surrounding area – is full of nature (and those who love it a bit too much – shine on, tree sitters…). Lots of hiking, biking, swimming, etc. Never been rock climbing, but I don’t think you’d have trouble finding the opportunity/rocks. And surfing’s not as big in Nor Cal as farther south, but there’s still plenty of opportunity.

Culturally, it retains a lot of its legendary hippie vibe, but because the campus and city are so
large and diverse, you won’t have a problem finding your niche, even if you’re (the horror!) a conservative. So no fear if you aren’t a fan of socialism, vegan cuisine or marijuana.

The food is phenomenal. If you end up choosing Boalt over NYU, I have a recommendation for your first meal in Berkeley. There’s a brightly colored food shack/hut called Brazil Café directly west of campus on University. (It is essential that you go to the hut and not the restaurant by the same name). Order a tri tip sandwich and a mango smoothie.

All this said, I’ve spent very little time in NYC and it may be even cooler.[/quote]

That sounds really freakin good! I'm not in at Boalt yet, but honestly I have spent about 1-2 hours a day online looking at new york and how awesome NYU is. Also the people on this forum seem pretty cool and I think I would love to goto NYU!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 pm

bsinoff wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
bsinoff wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:oohhhh please come rock climb with me.

Do you trad climb?


Haven't as of yet, but not for lack of trying! I mainly boulder but I am super interested in learning to trad climb. I'm hoping to make it out there sometime during summer so I definitely would like to get a good outdoors picture of NYC. Keep in touch if you are interested in meeting up!

0L here, but maybe I can help because I've been living in NYC. There's some nice hiking north of the city (Bear Mountain is very pleasant), although it's much gentler than the trails you are probably used to out West. The Catskills are nice, but very far for a day trip.

There's some outdoor bouldering in Central Park--I don't do much climbing but my friends who do seem satisfied, if not overjoyed, by the options. Check out: --LinkRemoved-- ... tral_Park/.



That sounds great, honestly all I need to know is that there are options. I went to brooklyn boulders about a year ago and was blown away by how great that gym was so I know there is a good climbing population

I met some dude on a climbing forum who said he would be willing to meet some people to teach us trad. I've been climbing with people at the Palladium and we're gonna try to do something in Spring/Summer.

At the very least, Rat Rock



Nice! I'm going to be in Denver at through the summer but I'm really jealous that you are going to get some free trad lessons. It sounds really cool, but trad always seems a little sketchy (I watched vertical limit as a kid and am definitely not interested in cutting someone loose because my cams popped out...)

The CEO of my company trad climbs and he said that he would take me out over the summer though. I'm not sure how serious he was, but i've got my fingers crossed that he will 'show me the ropes' (bad joke... i'm sorry)

I've been a bit worried by the idea, but with how great climbing technology has gotten, it's really not much to be worried about. I think my biggest negative with trad is actually that you can't climb as hard as you can in sport.

BTW, definitely more jealous of you. Boulder/Rifle is the holy grail.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Since not many people have started negotiating yet, I thought I would ask this here instead. I got $15,000 per year which I'm really happy about, but I want to try negotiate (not going to play hardball) just to see if I can get anything more.

I don't have any comparable offers yet (i applied late to UVA and Penn so im expecting to be YP'ed) but I did get into CLS. Is it worth it to send a "hey, I love you guys, but I'm trying to decide between you and Columbia and any increase will guarantee that I choose you" type of letter? I know I'm not in the best negotiating position, but I feel like having a CLS acceptance is something and I want to try to use that to my advantage. Is there any chance they'll take that, or should I not even waste my time unless I have another T6 offer?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:16 pm

ph5354a wrote:Since not many people have started negotiating yet, I thought I would ask this here instead. I got $15,000 per year which I'm really happy about, but I want to try negotiate (not going to play hardball) just to see if I can get anything more.

I don't have any comparable offers yet (i applied late to UVA and Penn so im expecting to be YP'ed) but I did get into CLS. Is it worth it to send a "hey, I love you guys, but I'm trying to decide between you and Columbia and any increase will guarantee that I choose you" type of letter? I know I'm not in the best negotiating position, but I feel like having a CLS acceptance is something and I want to try to use that to my advantage. Is there any chance they'll take that, or should I not even waste my time unless I have another T6 offer?

they generally don't negotiate with each other, especially when you have 37.5-45K already. But of course it's worth going for.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby 02889 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Since not many people have started negotiating yet, I thought I would ask this here instead. I got $15,000 per year which I'm really happy about, but I want to try negotiate (not going to play hardball) just to see if I can get anything more.

I don't have any comparable offers yet (i applied late to UVA and Penn so im expecting to be YP'ed) but I did get into CLS. Is it worth it to send a "hey, I love you guys, but I'm trying to decide between you and Columbia and any increase will guarantee that I choose you" type of letter? I know I'm not in the best negotiating position, but I feel like having a CLS acceptance is something and I want to try to use that to my advantage. Is there any chance they'll take that, or should I not even waste my time unless I have another T6 offer?

they generally don't negotiate with each other, especially when you have 37.5-45K already. But of course it's worth going for.

Any idea whether NYU generally reconsiders its offers based on need-based offers from other schools? I'm expecting nothing for merit (I'm basically under both medians, not sure why they accepted me at all), but Penn gave me a decent need-based grant that I'm hoping NYU will consider.

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby mh013 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am

2 things:

1. If I got a big goose-egg for financial aid, but other big scholarships ($105k at UVA, for example), do I have any shot at negotiating up to at least something?

2. Can anyone explain the 1L curriculum? It seems unorthodox...is conlaw optional? And what is this "Legislation and the regulatory state" business?

Thanks!

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 am

mh013 wrote:2 things:

1. If I got a big goose-egg for financial aid, but other big scholarships ($105k at UVA, for example), do I have any shot at negotiating up to at least something?

2. Can anyone explain the 1L curriculum? It seems unorthodox...is conlaw optional? And what is this "Legislation and the regulatory state" business?

Thanks!


The 1L curriculum is fairly straightforward.

1st Semester:
Civil Procedure (5 Credits)
Contracts (4 Credits)
Criminal Law or Torts (4 Credits)
Lawyering (2.5 Credits)

2nd Semester:
LRS (4 Credits)
Criminal Law or Torts (Whichever you weren't assigned first semester) (4 Credits)
Elective - Choices are Intl Law, Property, Con Law, Corporations (4 Credits)
Lawyering (2.5 Credits)

You must take Conlaw at some point before graduating.

LRS focuses primarily on statutory interpretation and canon of interpretation usage over the first half of the course, while the second half of the course focuses more on the law/rulemaking bodies and the procedures they use. It's basically Administrative Law with a heavy dose of statutory interpretation.

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby Swimp » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am

I was looking at info on housing, and found this bit confusing.

We encourage you to submit the Housing Application & License for Entering Students as soon as possible before the May 15, 2013 deadline, after you have submitted your intent to enroll. While applications may be submitted after May 15, priority in the assignment process is given to applicants who apply by this date.

The 2013-14 Entering Student Housing Application will be available on March 15, 2013 on the Residence Services Web Site.


Am I going crazy, or is that contradictory? They recommend you submit the application before 3/15, and then say that the application won't be available until 3/15. At first I thought maybe they were advising current students who wanted to continue living in NYU housing to submit before 3/15, but the application they refer to is "for Entering Students."

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am

Swimp wrote:I was looking at info on housing, and found this bit confusing.

We encourage you to submit the Housing Application & License for Entering Students as soon as possible before the May 15, 2013 deadline, after you have submitted your intent to enroll. While applications may be submitted after May 15, priority in the assignment process is given to applicants who apply by this date.

The 2013-14 Entering Student Housing Application will be available on March 15, 2013 on the Residence Services Web Site.


Am I going crazy, or is that contradictory? They recommend you submit the application before 3/15, and then say that the application won't be available until 3/15. At first I thought maybe they were advising current students who wanted to continue living in NYU housing to submit before 3/15, but the application they refer to is "for Entering Students."


May 15 dude, not March.

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby Swimp » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

ph5354a wrote:
Swimp wrote:I was looking at info on housing, and found this bit confusing.

We encourage you to submit the Housing Application & License for Entering Students as soon as possible before the May 15, 2013 deadline, after you have submitted your intent to enroll. While applications may be submitted after May 15, priority in the assignment process is given to applicants who apply by this date.

The 2013-14 Entering Student Housing Application will be available on March 15, 2013 on the Residence Services Web Site.


Am I going crazy, or is that contradictory? They recommend you submit the application before 3/15, and then say that the application won't be available until 3/15. At first I thought maybe they were advising current students who wanted to continue living in NYU housing to submit before 3/15, but the application they refer to is "for Entering Students."


May 15 dude, not March.


Well that settles it, I'm going crazy.

(thanks)

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Current 1Ls --did any of you do the law preview program? Is that worth it with or without the scholarship?

http://www.lawpreview.com/scholarships

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby 02889 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Bumping the question -- has anyone negotiated merit or need aid with NYU, and if so, which schools did you use and for how much?

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) are in the position of having money at UVA or Penn and facing sticker at NYU. Do people in this situation ever get a bump in award, or do they just not attend NYU unless they're obsessed with New York?

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:03 pm

ph5354a wrote:Current 1Ls --did any of you do the law preview program? Is that worth it with or without the scholarship?

http://www.lawpreview.com/scholarships


Yes. No. No. I had a scholarship and it was a complete waste of time. Take into account I was super into the idea of taking the course cuz I thought, like most, that it might be a leg up. It'd probably be more useful to read a contracts supplement or something substantive.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
mh013 wrote:2 things:

1. If I got a big goose-egg for financial aid, but other big scholarships ($105k at UVA, for example), do I have any shot at negotiating up to at least something?

2. Can anyone explain the 1L curriculum? It seems unorthodox...is conlaw optional? And what is this "Legislation and the regulatory state" business?

Thanks!


The 1L curriculum is fairly straightforward.

1st Semester:
Civil Procedure (5 Credits)
Contracts (4 Credits)
Criminal Law or Torts (4 Credits)
Lawyering (2.5 Credits)

2nd Semester:
LRS (4 Credits)
Criminal Law or Torts (Whichever you weren't assigned first semester) (4 Credits)
Elective - Choices are Intl Law, Property, Con Law, Corporations (4 Credits)
Lawyering (2.5 Credits)

You must take Conlaw at some point before graduating.

LRS focuses primarily on statutory interpretation and canon of interpretation usage over the first half of the course, while the second half of the course focuses more on the law/rulemaking bodies and the procedures they use. It's basically Administrative Law with a heavy dose of statutory interpretation.

and Property must be taken in the first 2 years

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby joiedevivre18 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 am

02889 wrote:Bumping the question -- has anyone negotiated merit or need aid with NYU, and if so, which schools did you use and for how much?

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) are in the position of having money at UVA or Penn and facing sticker at NYU. Do people in this situation ever get a bump in award, or do they just not attend NYU unless they're obsessed with New York?


+1 on this. Similar situation

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 am

joiedevivre18 wrote:
02889 wrote:Bumping the question -- has anyone negotiated merit or need aid with NYU, and if so, which schools did you use and for how much?

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) are in the position of having money at UVA or Penn and facing sticker at NYU. Do people in this situation ever get a bump in award, or do they just not attend NYU unless they're obsessed with New York?


+1 on this. Similar situation


The above discussion is more important, so if any 1Ls are reading this answer that first but...

Since the law preview appears to be useless, what are the study guides/prep books that could be helpful to read prior to classes? I'm not as gunnery as I sound, but my job is boring and I need to channel my excited energy towards something semi-productive. Any recommendations?

My two cents re: NYU at sticker would be that it entirely depends on where you want to practice. If you're dead set on New York, sticker might be worth it depending on how much $ you're turning down at Penn. If you're open to NYC, DC, or Philly, then it seems silly to give up money (and cheaper COL) to pay sticker at NYU, but you could probably justify it either way.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests