NYU 2Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU 1Ls (rising 2Ls) taking questions

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 pm

sinfiery wrote:How long will I need my laptops battery to last if I want to generally use it all day in class? Or are there plugs available for pretty much everyone in class? What about for exams?

Thanks!

eta:
arism87 wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:Do all 1Ls have access to an outlet during in class exams?

Buying laptop now and trying to see if it's necessary to pay the premium for 6 vs 3.5 hrs of battery power.
Yes, you'll always have an outlet (in exams and also in class).

awesome
plug ins available at every seat

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:11 pm

thanks

ZoeBarnes

New

Post by ZoeBarnes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks, Kaiser, JamMasterJ, ssteiner, and Old Man2015! Your answers helped me to calm down quite a bit! :)

beautyistruth

Bronze

Re: NYU rising 2Ls taking questions

Post by beautyistruth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:50 pm

What's the heating/cooling like in Mercer? At my UG school-run apartments, the rooms were heated to 70+ degrees in the middle of winter and there was virtually no need to wear sweats to sleep in the winter. What's the temperature situation like in the NYU apartments?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm

beautyistruth wrote:What's the heating/cooling like in Mercer? At my UG school-run apartments, the rooms were heated to 70+ degrees in the middle of winter and there was virtually no need to wear sweats to sleep in the winter. What's the temperature situation like in the NYU apartments?
There are thermostats in each room, but heating and A/C are central. This means that at some point in the fall they'll switch the building from cooling to heating, and at some point in the spring they'll change it back. You can still control the temperature within a range of a few degrees or turn the heating/cooling on or off entirely. It can be a little uncomfortable for a few days on either side of the transition, but in general I've had no problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:35 pm

OldMan2015 wrote:
beautyistruth wrote:What's the heating/cooling like in Mercer? At my UG school-run apartments, the rooms were heated to 70+ degrees in the middle of winter and there was virtually no need to wear sweats to sleep in the winter. What's the temperature situation like in the NYU apartments?
There are thermostats in each room, but heating and A/C are central. This means that at some point in the fall they'll switch the building from cooling to heating, and at some point in the spring they'll change it back. You can still control the temperature within a range of a few degrees or turn the heating/cooling on or off entirely. It can be a little uncomfortable for a few days on either side of the transition, but in general I've had no problems.
I'd advise you to bring a fan if you have one for those transition days that OldMan mentioned. Overall, I agree that temperatures are comfortable.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:14 am

I know this is going to vary a great deal depending on various factors including schedule and personal study habits, but on average, how many books would you guess you need to fit in your bag at once? (and how big are the books?!) I'm trying to gauge how large of a bag I need to buy for carrying my laptop, books, etc. around during the school year. I'd rather not carry a huge backpack every day if that's not necessary, though I have one I could use for finals or any other time I needed to carry more than normal.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 am

risa wrote:I know this is going to vary a great deal depending on various factors including schedule and personal study habits, but on average, how many books would you guess you need to fit in your bag at once? (and how big are the books?!) I'm trying to gauge how large of a bag I need to buy for carrying my laptop, books, etc. around during the school year. I'd rather not carry a huge backpack every day if that's not necessary, though I have one I could use for finals or any other time I needed to carry more than normal.
You pretty much covered it with that first bit. You're not going to have more than two doctrinal classes in a day your first year, other than weirdly scheduled make-up classes. There will also typically be breaks of a few hours between classes. That means you could get away with a bag that fits one book and a laptop, but it's often more convenient to carry two books at a time so you don't have to go home in between. The textbooks are pretty large and heavy too, probably more so than the average undergrad textbook.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 am

If you live in D'Ag, 1
Anywhere else: 2 - you'd really need a backpack with good back support in this case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

Would it be weird to have a stuffed animal social group/club in law school?

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Just a few Q's:

1) When and how do we get our schedules and section assignment?

2) How does one go about getting assigned a locker on campus?

3) Does anyone here have experience with digitizing your legal casebooks? From what I've heard publishers in the legal education market are very behind on offering ebooks, and I'd vastly prefer electronic copies to hauling around hardcopies. I've read about people having the bindings cut off their books and mass-scanning the pages either themselves or via Kinkos to make their own ebooks. Anyone done this?

4) What's the outside-of-school socialization like for 1L's? Mostly based around Bar Review nights and in D'ag and Mercer? What about for people living outside of student housing?

5) What are you favorite bars or spots around campus to chill at for social purposes and why?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Just a few Q's:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote: 1) When and how do we get our schedules and section assignment?
About a week before orientation IIRC.
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:3) Does anyone here have experience with digitizing your legal casebooks? From what I've heard publishers in the legal education market are very behind on offering ebooks, and I'd vastly prefer electronic copies to hauling around hardcopies. I've read about people having the bindings cut off their books and mass-scanning the pages either themselves or via Kinkos to make their own ebooks. Anyone done this?
A lot of people do cut their books at Kinko's or wherever to make them smaller and easier to carry, but I haven't heard of anyone digitizing them. Last semester my con law textbook actually came with a digital edition, but I never used it because I preferred to have the paper version.
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:4) What's the outside-of-school socialization like for 1L's? Mostly based around Bar Review nights and in D'ag and Mercer? What about for people living outside of student housing?
It's just like starting a new job or (for you kids) attending a new school. Everyone gets to know most everyone within their section pretty quickly; people make friends and hang out. Most people are moving from out of town, and very few know each other coming in. Sections grow close because they see so much of each other and are all going through the same experience.

A lot of people do go to Bar Review, especially early on, but I would say more people don't, at least regularly. Many people live in the dorms, so it's often more convenient for them to socialize with each other, but off-campus kids can and do get in on that too if they want.
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:5) What are you favorite bars or spots around campus to chill at for social purposes and why?
Wherever your friends like to go. There are literally dozens of bars/restaurants/hangout spots within two blocks of campus, and all of them have different vibes.
Last edited by Anciano on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Just a few Q's:

1) When and how do we get our schedules and section assignment?

2) How does one go about getting assigned a locker on campus?

3) Does anyone here have experience with digitizing your legal casebooks? From what I've heard publishers in the legal education market are very behind on offering ebooks, and I'd vastly prefer electronic copies to hauling around hardcopies. I've read about people having the bindings cut off their books and mass-scanning the pages either themselves or via Kinkos to make their own ebooks. Anyone done this?

4) What's the outside-of-school socialization like for 1L's? Mostly based around Bar Review nights and in D'ag and Mercer? What about for people living outside of student housing?

5) What are you favorite bars or spots around campus to chill at for social purposes and why?
1) not sure - pretty soon I would imagine. Probably better to ask admissions - I think the school year starts a little later this year.

2) automatic if you're a commuter. You can trade and shit if you'd rather be in the other building (Vandy is better for 1Ls b/c most of your classes are there)

3) IDK. I know some people have the bindings cut and bound into smaller sections so it's like 5 200 page paperbacks rather than 1 1000 page monstrosity. I don't think I'd like reading casebooks your way - highlighting is impossible and reading on the computer for that long gets tough. In fact, a lot of times we got assigned cases that were online, people printed them out rather than reading online.

4) I'm a commuter. It's pretty easy to get hooked up - you become tight with your section, especially your lawyering group, fairly quickly via orientation and flag football and stuff. Assuming at least 1/2 of them live on campus, you should be kept abreast of parties and stuff. The biggest bitch is coming back to school from 20+ minutes away after you've already been there that day. YMMV.

5) triona's is obviously legendary. Shitty cheap drinks and way too loud but who cares, it's home. Off the Wagon, Wicked Willies (karaoke), Fat Black Pussy Cat, etc. The general theme is loud music and cheap drinks and tons of friends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:5) triona's is obviously legendary. Shitty cheap drinks and way too loud but who cares, it's home. Off the Wagon, Wicked Willies (karaoke), Fat Black Pussy Cat, etc. The general theme is loud music and cheap drinks and tons of friends.
Just to be clear, all of these places are objectively terrible bars, but we all go anyway because everyone else does (and they're cheap).

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 pm

OldMan2015 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:5) triona's is obviously legendary. Shitty cheap drinks and way too loud but who cares, it's home. Off the Wagon, Wicked Willies (karaoke), Fat Black Pussy Cat, etc. The general theme is loud music and cheap drinks and tons of friends.
Just to be clear, all of these places are objectively terrible bars, but we all go anyway because everyone else does (and they're cheap).
yup

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:25 am

JamMasterJ wrote: 2) automatic if you're a commuter. You can trade and shit if you'd rather be in the other building (Vandy is better for 1Ls b/c most of your classes are there)

3) IDK. I know some people have the bindings cut and bound into smaller sections so it's like 5 200 page paperbacks rather than 1 1000 page monstrosity. I don't think I'd like reading casebooks your way - highlighting is impossible and reading on the computer for that long gets tough. In fact, a lot of times we got assigned cases that were online, people printed them out rather than reading online.
2) Is anyone not living in NYU-owned housing considered a commuter?

3) Highlighting is very possible. In undergrad I did this often with ebooks and PDFs on an iPad; it's a breeze--as many different colors as you want, and you can then organize, view, and excise your highlights based on color--plus I love all the other tools digital reading offers: easily search through entire books or documents for words or phrases (this is killer imho), easily copy/paste important text into notes, two simple taps for definitions and wikipedia info on words, not having to carry around and care for physical books, etc. Frankly it'd be frustrating to no end for me to go back to just reading physical books.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:27 am

scifiguy wrote:Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

Are...are you headed to NYU?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 am

OldMan2015 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how frequently would you say the average NYU Law student, particularly 1Ls, go out to bars? I imagine it will vary greatly over the course of the semester.

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:30 am

sinfiery wrote:

He's a troll... look at his post history. He's posted the exact same question on the Penn and Harvard threads and has a long history of trolling posts.

Don't feed the troll. Just move along.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:31 am

I though you retired

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 am

sinfiery wrote:

No, but it's on my shortlist of schools I'd be interested in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

americanman

New

Post by americanman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 am

Last edited by americanman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:05 am

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:2) Is anyone not living in NYU-owned housing considered a commuter?
Yes, for locker purposes.
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:3) Highlighting is very possible. In undergrad I did this often with ebooks and PDFs on an iPad; it's a breeze--as many different colors as you want, and you can then organize, view, and excise your highlights based on color--plus I love all the other tools digital reading offers: easily search through entire books or documents for words or phrases (this is killer imho), easily copy/paste important text into notes, two simple taps for definitions and wikipedia info on words, not having to carry around and care for physical books, etc. Frankly it'd be frustrating to no end for me to go back to just reading physical books.
If that works best for you, feel free to digitize all your books and use those versions instead. The only caveat-- and it's a major one-- is that some professors won't let you have any digital devices in the classroom. Half of my first-year doctrinal classes were like that, though I think other sections had fewer. Lawyering is always device-free, though you don't really need your "textbook" in that class.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:17 am

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
OldMan2015 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how frequently would you say the average NYU Law student, particularly 1Ls, go out to bars? I imagine it will vary greatly over the course of the semester.
You said it. It also varies greatly from person to person. Most of us are serious about school, so not that many people go out on weeknights, Thursdays and special occasions aside. Once exam season starts, weekends are often out too, though some people keep going out sometimes just to blow off steam.

(As an aside, you seem really concerned about the exact mechanics of how and where people socialize. I wouldn't worry so much about fitting in with what "the average NYU Law student" does. Just do what comes naturally to you. I have some friends who almost never go out, and others who are out practically every night it's possible. Few people will judge you for either. Of course I understand that you want to be involved in the social life of the school, but there are lots of ways to do that, and many don't involve drinking.)
Last edited by Anciano on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:23 am

americanman wrote:wait...Jammaster....FLAG FOOTBALL??

as a former gym class hero i would love to hear more details about this please.
In the fall there's a NYU law 7-on-7 flag football league. Games are on Friday afternoons way out on the East River, which is about a 20-30 minute walk from campus. It's really informal and a lot of fun-- most teams' pregame routines involved pregaming. Unfortunately last year was a little screwed up because of weather and Sandy, and our team ended up playing maybe two games. Hopefully there won't be another hurricane.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”