NYU 2Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beautyistruth

Bronze

Re: NYU rising 2Ls taking questions

Post by beautyistruth » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the advice about getting an RA position! I am also very interested in getting an RA position.

Regarding these positions, are they paid, and how much? Also, if you go to a professor's office hours to ask to be taken on as an RA, is there a graceful way to find out whether that position will be paid, or is it something you should not bring up and just leave to the professor's discretion?

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 pm

What does "E&E" mean? This may be super obvious, so forgive my ignorance please!

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:34 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Thanks for the advice about getting an RA position! I am also very interested in getting an RA position.

Regarding these positions, are they paid, and how much? Also, if you go to a professor's office hours to ask to be taken on as an RA, is there a graceful way to find out whether that position will be paid, or is it something you should not bring up and just leave to the professor's discretion?
These positions are paid for by the school -$12 an hour.
kola141 wrote:What does "E&E" mean? This may be super obvious, so forgive my ignorance please!
Examples & Explanations. It's a series of supplements.

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Can someone weigh in on whether or not it's worth the extra expense to buy 1L books as opposed to renting them? Prevailing consensus in the group seems to be that renting makes the most sense, and that planning to sell back is a bad idea since new editions will be required for later years.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 pm

kola141 wrote:Can someone weigh in on whether or not it's worth the extra expense to buy 1L books as opposed to renting them? Prevailing consensus in the group seems to be that renting makes the most sense, and that planning to sell back is a bad idea since new editions will be required for later years.
there is no legitimate reason for keeping them

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 am

kola141 wrote:Can someone weigh in on whether or not it's worth the extra expense to buy 1L books as opposed to renting them? Prevailing consensus in the group seems to be that renting makes the most sense, and that planning to sell back is a bad idea since new editions will be required for later years.
The only reason not to is if it's actually cheaper to buy. If you can buy used and then sell back, you'll almost certainly pay less. New editions aren't all that frequent, depending on the book. Though it is irritating when they do come out.

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:06 pm

If I rent a book, am I not allowed to make any markings/highlights in it? This may make or break my decision to rent. Thanks!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 pm

kola141 wrote:If I rent a book, am I not allowed to make any markings/highlights in it? This may make or break my decision to rent. Thanks!
Never did it but I'm 99% certain you can mark it up. Otherwise no one would ever do it.

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:02 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
kola141 wrote:If I rent a book, am I not allowed to make any markings/highlights in it? This may make or break my decision to rent. Thanks!
Never did it but I'm 99% certain you can mark it up. Otherwise no one would ever do it.
Figured it out! From the terms and agreements section of the order form: "Highlighting and writing in rented textbooks is permitted and acceptable."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

To all you who have 'been there, done that', what exactly is "Registration" during orientation? It's listed at from noon to five pm on the first day. Is this something were you stop by any time during then to pick up registration materials, or are we actually supposed to be there doing something for five hours?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:To all you who have 'been there, done that', what exactly is "Registration" during orientation? It's listed at from noon to five pm on the first day. Is this something were you stop by any time during then to pick up registration materials, or are we actually supposed to be there doing something for five hours?
The first one.

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Do you suggest bringing a private printer to keep in my apartment for 1L year, or is it convenient to just use the university printing services/the library? I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring mine. I found it helpful to have in college but I feel like for law school I'll have fewer assignments that need to be printed out and turned in.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

kola141 wrote:Do you suggest bringing a private printer to keep in my apartment for 1L year, or is it convenient to just use the university printing services/the library? I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring mine. I found it helpful to have in college but I feel like for law school I'll have fewer assignments that need to be printed out and turned in.
You will have to print things fairly regularly, maybe once a week or so depending on how you study, but there are plenty of printers in the library and in the residence halls. (Fair warning, though: IT isn't perfect, so printing will stop working for a few hours at least once or twice a semester.) I lived in Mercer, didn't have a printer, and had no issues at all. One of my friends did bring a printer for his room in Mercer and found it convenient to not have to take the elevators to print things. It's definitely not necessary or even very useful, but if you already have one I guess it might come in handy at times.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Transfer here with a stupid question. How do we access the write-on competition? Where on the internetz is it?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:25 pm

wiz wrote:Transfer here with a stupid question. How do we access the write-on competition? Where on the internetz is it?
Try this. (It's locking me out because I'm not a transfer student, which is probably a good sign for you.)

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Should I bring a suit/formal wear/ties or anything like that? (I'm male, if that's not obvious yet.) It occurred to me that this could be necessary, though for Fall Semester of 1L year maybe I don't need that stuff.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

OldMan2015 wrote:
wiz wrote:Transfer here with a stupid question. How do we access the write-on competition? Where on the internetz is it?
Try this. (It's locking me out because I'm not a transfer student, which is probably a good sign for you.)
Got it. Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 pm

kola141 wrote:Should I bring a suit/formal wear/ties or anything like that? (I'm male, if that's not obvious yet.) It occurred to me that this could be necessary, though for Fall Semester of 1L year maybe I don't need that stuff.
It can't hurt to bring but I didn't need any particularly nice clothing until spring semester.

americanman

New

Post by americanman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am

ssteiner wrote:
kola141 wrote:Should I bring a suit/formal wear/ties or anything like that? (I'm male, if that's not obvious yet.) It occurred to me that this could be necessary, though for Fall Semester of 1L year maybe I don't need that stuff.
It can't hurt to bring but I didn't need any particularly nice clothing until spring semester.
what about fall ball?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:31 am

americanman wrote:
ssteiner wrote:
what about fall ball?
It's a Halloween party. Some people do dress up, but almost everyone is in costume.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:13 pm

kola141 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Figured it out! From the terms and agreements section of the order form: "Highlighting and writing in rented textbooks is permitted and acceptable."
I was pleasantly surprised when I asked in the bookstore and they said you could highlight (though she said "in moderation" ... I'm not sure who makes the call at the end of the semester about whether you highlighted too much for a rental). I think I'm probably just going to buy them, though, because I want to get the big ones cut so that I don't have to lug the full books around all the time. a 2L suggested that to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Not sure if this has been asked but how difficult would it be to purchase a unit that is located in UWS? If accepted to NYU/Columbia we'd like to purchase a place but I have no idea how likely or reasonable it is to assume we could. I'm sure a great deal depends on the down payment, credit, etc.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Sinatra wrote:Not sure if this has been asked but how difficult would it be to purchase a unit that is located in UWS? If accepted to NYU/Columbia we'd like to purchase a place but I have no idea how likely or reasonable it is to assume we could. I'm sure a great deal depends on the down payment, credit, etc.
down payment req is generally 1/5th of the cost. So for something around 1 million, you need 200K.

So look at this: http://streeteasy.com/nyc/sale/821296-c ... e-new-york

for more info on what your costs are going to be, such as monthly taxes/maintenance fees (depending on the type of unit they may be bundled together). I'm sure there are also fees for brokers on both ends, as well as some sort of credit requirement.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Sinatra wrote:Not sure if this has been asked but how difficult would it be to purchase a unit that is located in UWS? If accepted to NYU/Columbia we'd like to purchase a place but I have no idea how likely or reasonable it is to assume we could. I'm sure a great deal depends on the down payment, credit, etc.
down payment req is generally 1/5th of the cost. So for something around 1 million, you need 200K.

for more info on what your costs are going to be, such as monthly taxes/maintenance fees (depending on the type of unit they may be bundled together). I'm sure there are also fees for brokers on both ends, as well as some sort of credit requirement.
tyft. Although that is definitely more expensive that what I can afford lol. I was looking at some sponsor units that were around 250k, meaning I'd need about 37,500 for a down payment. I would hope to pay it off within seven years (big assumption of making biglaw salary after graduation) and turn around and sell it to make that money back.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Sinatra wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

tyft. Although that is definitely more expensive that what I can afford lol. I was looking at some sponsor units that were around 250k, meaning I'd need about 37,500 for a down payment. I would hope to pay it off within seven years (big assumption of making biglaw salary after graduation) and turn around and sell it to make that money back.
What the hell can you buy on the UWS for $250k?

Honestly I wouldn't do it while in law school. You don't know for sure what your income will be after school. Maintenance/common charges plus mortgage means that buying is usually more expensive than renting in NYC. Plus most co-ops, at least, are probably reluctant to sell to someone without significant income. All this depends to some extent on whether you have an SO who can prop up your financials. But buying in NYC is a luxury, not something your average person does, particularly your average grad student.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”