NYU 2Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 pm

ph5354a wrote:
02889 wrote: Also, with no guarantor and only student loans for income, should I expect to get dozens of renters saying "haha, nope!" before one agrees?
I'm sorry that I'm following you around the NYU threads answering all of your questions meant for 1L's :D but...I noticed this on the general NYU Off-Campus Housing website the other day that may help you. Once you're deposited, if you haven't already, it could be worth asking financial aid about.

"Some academic departments at NYU offer a guarantor, so be sure to speak to the head of your NYU department about what assistance they can offer. If you are at NYU on a grant/scholarship, speak to Financial Aid about assistance offered by scholarship/grant organizations."

http://www.nyu.edu/life/living-at-nyu/o ... tment.html
interesting - I've never heard this.
02889 - if php's idea doesn't come through, expect to need a lot of cash on hand, a lot of rejections, or a roommate with reasonably wealthy parents. Another option you might be interested in is looking on Coases for someone who's gonna be out of town for the first month, so you can use a bit of your student loan disbursement to get in the door.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
02889 wrote: Also, with no guarantor and only student loans for income, should I expect to get dozens of renters saying "haha, nope!" before one agrees?
I'm sorry that I'm following you around the NYU threads answering all of your questions meant for 1L's :D but...I noticed this on the general NYU Off-Campus Housing website the other day that may help you. Once you're deposited, if you haven't already, it could be worth asking financial aid about.

"Some academic departments at NYU offer a guarantor, so be sure to speak to the head of your NYU department about what assistance they can offer. If you are at NYU on a grant/scholarship, speak to Financial Aid about assistance offered by scholarship/grant organizations."

http://www.nyu.edu/life/living-at-nyu/o ... tment.html
interesting - I've never heard this.
02889 - if php's idea doesn't come through, expect to need a lot of cash on hand, a lot of rejections, or a roommate with reasonably wealthy parents. Another option you might be interested in is looking on Coases for someone who's gonna be out of town for the first month, so you can use a bit of your student loan disbursement to get in the door.
Thank you both! I'll be sure to check to see what resources NYU offers. ph, I totally appreciate your stalking because it's really helpful. :D It's tough hearing that I'll need a huge amount of cash on hand, though! Am I right in thinking that if I'm paying the first two months and last two months rent up front, then when I do get my loan disbursement I can "reimburse" myself with the loan money that would have been intended for rent during those months since it's already been paid?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm

right-ish.
Remember, the loan is intended to cover 9 months, so it's not covering your deposit or those two back end months. There are other ways of increasing your loan amount, and then when you get summer funding etc with "free" rent those two months, you can pay yourself back then.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 pm

NYU students,

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Did any of you commute your 1L?

How did you find being off-campus with regards to studying, study groups, friends, and on-campus activities?

I'm down to two options, living on-campus and living in Jersey City (Newport) and commuting by PATH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Tekrul wrote:Did any of you commute your 1L?

How did you find being off-campus with regards to studying, study groups, friends, and on-campus activities?

I'm down to two options, living on-campus and living in Jersey City (Newport) and commuting by PATH.
I live off campus - same distance as where you're looking, but in MH. The biggest problem you have against you is the fact that the PATH is tough late at night. Other than that, I feel as connected as I would otherwise be. Things are generally easy to plan out well in advance, and I don't think you get stuck in the "oh, let's do this thing in 15 minutes" and be too far away to make it. Law students are far less impulsive that way than UGs

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Cool, the far less impulsive thing is kinda exactly what I needed to hear. If I was missing out on impromptu get togethers and study sessions, I'd resent that I lived off campus.

Do you find yourself sticking around after classes and working in the library? Or can you get along just as well without the library books, provided one owns the case books, hornbooks, and other supplementary materials? Are there just certain prohibitively expensive books we need to sit there and copy for days?

On a similar note, do you find study groups meet during the week often, meaning I'd have to hang around campus without a place to stay until the group meets? In addition, I'd have to bring ALL the materials for my class and group with me? If I forget something at either place or have to make two trips in one day, I'd probably just drop dead from the frustration.

I'm trying to get a real good picture of this because I get really stressed living with others but don't know if commuting 1L will outweigh that.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Tekrul wrote:Cool, the far less impulsive thing is kinda exactly what I needed to hear. If I was missing out on impromptu get togethers and study sessions, I'd resent that I lived off campus.

Do you find yourself sticking around after classes and working in the library? Or can you get along just as well without the library books, provided one owns the case books, hornbooks, and other supplementary materials? Are there just certain prohibitively expensive books we need to sit there and copy for days?

On a similar note, do you find study groups meet during the week often, meaning I'd have to hang around campus without a place to stay until the group meets? In addition, I'd have to bring ALL the materials for my class and group with me? If I forget something at either place or have to make two trips in one day, I'd probably just drop dead from the frustration.

I'm trying to get a real good picture of this because I get really stressed living with others but don't know if commuting 1L will outweigh that.
You own all the books you would need.

As far as study groups, I'm in one and we meet in a large block between classes. You're likely to have a couple 2-3 hour blocks during school in your week, so that's not hard to schedule.
For the most part, we review outlines/class notes etc, so you don't really need anything besides your computer - but others may run their groups differently.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Awesome, you've been a tremendous resource.

Thanks and gl on your exams!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey All,
Thanks so much for answering questions. Do you know the process for secondary journals? Does it involve write-on at all?

And does NYU require any moot court/oral argument participation?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:Hey All,
Thanks so much for answering questions. Do you know the process for secondary journals? Does it involve write-on at all?
I'm a 1L, so I'm not completely sure about this, but I believe that you do still have to participate in the journal writing competition for secondary journals. Part of each person's entry is a ranking of journals in preference order.
bob loblaw11 wrote:And does NYU require any moot court/oral argument participation?
Moot court isn't required, but everyone does an oral argument (in front of an external practitioner or real judge) the spring of their first year.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Tagging, don't mind me.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

3L here, but live in Jersey City now (Exchange Place, not Newport, though). I lived on-campus in a dorm as a 1L, but I don't think it made an enormous difference.

The PATH becomes less frequent late at night (11 pm is a major cut-off), so if you like going out late, that might be a problem. It's not actually unreliable--it follows the schedule very closely late at night, but the schedule is about one train every half hour.

As a 1L, I did virtually of my studying at school, in unused classrooms or study rooms, which I think is the right strategy because it keeps you focused. (I do the same now, though of course less.) I also almost always studied with other people from my section, even if we weren't actually talking much/holding study group. Having the commute home creates a nice barrier and also encourages you to leave. There's little value to staying up late at night studying anyway; when I was a 1L, I made certain to stop studying by 11 every night.

I can see how living far away from campus could make socializing harder, but a very large portion of the class lives away from campus. People don't really socialize in the dorms the way you might have in undergrad. You'll meet your classmates through your section and your Lawyering group, and later through student organizations, jobs and other mutual connections. I don't think living on campus was a major advantage as a 1L except for the convenience of being able to leave the dorm at 8:58 for a 9:00 am class.

On journals: All journals (and Moot Court, which unlike at all other schools is treated as a journal--you can only do a journal or Moot Court, not both, and Moot Court publishes a casebook every year that is essentially a student journal of Moot Court problems) go through the writing competition.* Realistically, I don't know anyone who lost out on their top choice except Law Review, though some secondary journals (Annual Survey, JILP and Moot Court) do turn a few people away every year. Depending on the journal, some consider grades while others do not. Everyone who applies gets a position on some journal, unlike at some other law schools.

As above, there's a oral argument program in Lawyering spring semester of 1L. Otherwise, there's no speaking requirement.

*One exception: There's a new patent law journal that isn't officially recognized yet and exists independently of the journal system (and does not use the writing competition). Unclear when it will get official recognition, if at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Thank you all, this is really really helpful.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 pm

BenJ wrote:

3L here, but live in Jersey City now (Exchange Place, not Newport, though). I lived on-campus in a dorm as a 1L, but I don't think it made an enormous difference.

The PATH becomes less frequent late at night (11 pm is a major cut-off), so if you like going out late, that might be a problem. It's not actually unreliable--it follows the schedule very closely late at night, but the schedule is about one train every half hour.

As a 1L, I did virtually of my studying at school, in unused classrooms or study rooms, which I think is the right strategy because it keeps you focused. (I do the same now, though of course less.) I also almost always studied with other people from my section, even if we weren't actually talking much/holding study group. Having the commute home creates a nice barrier and also encourages you to leave. There's little value to staying up late at night studying anyway; when I was a 1L, I made certain to stop studying by 11 every night.

I can see how living far away from campus could make socializing harder, but a very large portion of the class lives away from campus. People don't really socialize in the dorms the way you might have in undergrad. You'll meet your classmates through your section and your Lawyering group, and later through student organizations, jobs and other mutual connections. I don't think living on campus was a major advantage as a 1L except for the convenience of being able to leave the dorm at 8:58 for a 9:00 am class.

On journals: All journals (and Moot Court, which unlike at all other schools is treated as a journal--you can only do a journal or Moot Court, not both, and Moot Court publishes a casebook every year that is essentially a student journal of Moot Court problems) go through the writing competition.* Realistically, I don't know anyone who lost out on their top choice except Law Review, though some secondary journals (Annual Survey, JILP and Moot Court) do turn a few people away every year. Depending on the journal, some consider grades while others do not. Everyone who applies gets a position on some journal, unlike at some other law schools.

As above, there's a oral argument program in Lawyering spring semester of 1L. Otherwise, there's no speaking requirement.

*One exception: There's a new patent law journal that isn't officially recognized yet and exists independently of the journal system (and does not use the writing competition). Unclear when it will get official recognition, if at all.
One caveat - Moot Court takes the brief you write for the Oral Argument as well as a personal statement, rather than the journal submission, so if you're appying to MC only, you don't need to do the rest of the competition.

As far as the rest of the comp: you order each of the journals you want to do, write personal statements for each, and submit a Bluebooking exercise and a writing sample to all of the journals.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for more info on the commuting vs living on-campus thing.

I'm leaning on living off-campus now.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 pm

So I've heard horror stories of NYU UG.

People getting de-enrolled left and right. Having to schedule months in advance to see your academic advisor. Classes filling up instantly. Having to take a year off because the classes you need for your major are full and you can't graduate on time. Online course registration often blocking you due to prerequisites you have in fact completed. Overall failing of administration.

These all came from anecdotes I picked up. I know these are true as I've lived through them with the people, but are the problems prevalent across the University, aka the law school?

This came up because my SO is dealing with one of the above mentioned issues right now and I'm worried that the administrative problems cross over.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Tekrul wrote:So I've heard horror stories of NYU UG.

People getting de-enrolled left and right. Having to schedule months in advance to see your academic advisor. Classes filling up instantly. Having to take a year off because the classes you need for your major are full and you can't graduate on time. Online course registration often blocking you due to prerequisites you have in fact completed. Overall failing of administration.

These all came from anecdotes I picked up. I know these are true as I've lived through them with the people, but are the problems prevalent across the University, aka the law school?

This came up because my SO is dealing with one of the above mentioned issues right now and I'm worried that the administrative problems cross over.
Not even a little bit.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 am

Schwing, sweet. I was irrationally worried for a minute.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 pm

One of the things on the checklist on NYU's website for entering students is submitting a "final, offical undergrad transcript." Is this meant to apply only to undergrad students who didn't have all their grades when they applied? Or do I also need to do this if I've been out of school for a while? I guess the transcript sent with my app came from LSAC, not directly from the school.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm

I believe this is meant to include everyone even if you've been out of school for awhile. Call your UG and have them send that in to this address:

Office of J.D. Admissions
139 MacDougal Street, Suite C-20
New York, New York 10012

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 am

Apologies if this has already been asked.

How hard is it to get into student housing, especially into the apartment and price range you want? I'd be completely happy paying $6000 ish and $7000 ish/semester apartments but I'd really balk at going for the $12000/semester apartments.

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 am

beautyistruth wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked.

How hard is it to get into student housing, especially into the apartment and price range you want? I'd be completely happy paying $6000 ish and $7000 ish/semester apartments but I'd really balk at going for the $12000/semester apartments.
I got my first or second choice, so you should be okay.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 am

Does anyone remember when exactly loans are disbursed? Is it like right around orientation (Aug. 21) or first day of classes (Aug. 28)?

And can anyone give some insight into what that period is like? Is it insane to consider moving some time in the first week of classes, or is there still enough free time for that to be reasonable (though obviously not preferable)?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 pm

02889 wrote:Does anyone remember when exactly loans are disbursed? Is it like right around orientation (Aug. 21) or first day of classes (Aug. 28)?

And can anyone give some insight into what that period is like? Is it insane to consider moving some time in the first week of classes, or is there still enough free time for that to be reasonable (though obviously not preferable)?
probably right between the two. Make sure you have direct deposit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”