Sigh.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Did Lonnie get pwned?

Yes
10
59%
I am a fish
7
41%
 
Total votes: 17

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:51 am

Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby mattviphky » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:55 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.

--ImageRemoved--

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:59 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.


Thanks! Just came on here simply to see others experiences- Do you feel the school is preparing u for the bar? Is there a large alumni connection and internships? Any advice as a student in their last yr @SIU?

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 am

coldshoulder wrote:Quit feeding the troll guys.

Even though you got a 146 on your LSAT, this trolling is 178.

146 the first try- 154 second- give me all my pts lame!

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:18 am

Lonnie wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.


Thanks! Just came on here simply to see others experiences- Do you feel the school is preparing u for the bar? Is there a large alumni connection and internships? Any advice as a student in their last yr @SIU?


The school is definitely preparing me for the bar. They offer classes in subjects that are tested on the bar exam. The only reason our bar passage rate isn't higher is because some of us actually fail the bar on purpose. I plan on doing this myself. Career services tells us that employers are more skeptical of grads that pass the bar on the first try because it looks like we may have cheated. Ethics is a big part of being a lawyer so you don't want to attract suspicion. This is a great secret we learn here that you might not learn at other so called elite law schools.

There is a huge alumni base and they have been really helpful in helping us land internships and giving us tips for our career. Just last week I had coffee at a local Starbucks with a recent grad. It was awesome because he was able to use his employee discount on the coffee so I got a white mocha for like 2.50. He told me that your law school doesn't really matter when it comes to getting a job, it's all about how hard you work. Too many law schools and people on this site focus on your first job out of law school. But there are tons of grads that don't have a job right away but with the right combination of elbow grease and networking they land on their feet.

If I could give you some advice as a 3l student it would be just stop deliberating and send in your deposit to SIU right away. Don't listen to anyone on this site and definitely don't waste your time researching about the school. The statistics about this school are all wrong. The best thing to do is to only talk to people who go here. Even better actually would be to see if you can find some successful lawyers who graduated from here. The more years ago they graduated the more informed and helpful there advice will be.

Good luck with your cycle! Let me know if you have any more questions.

User avatar
atcushman
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby atcushman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 am

atcushman wrote:
Lonnie wrote:@rinkrat19 @IAFG @vanwinkle Looks like I found someone who is attending/has attended the schools in question on my post... Since That's what I asked for. All other opinions and/or statements are irrelevant. So If you don't have any of the input that I am looking for kindly leave my post be.
:roll:


I hope what i think is about to happen actually happens


it happened

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:31 am

..
Last edited by Lonnie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:33 am

Thanks so much!!
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Lonnie wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.


Thanks! Just came on here simply to see others experiences- Do you feel the school is preparing u for the bar? Is there a large alumni connection and internships? Any advice as a student in their last yr @SIU?


The school is definitely preparing me for the bar. They offer classes in subjects that are tested on the bar exam. The only reason our bar passage rate isn't higher is because some of us actually fail the bar on purpose. I plan on doing this myself. Career services tells us that employers are more skeptical of grads that pass the bar on the first try because it looks like we may have cheated. Ethics is a big part of being a lawyer so you don't want to attract suspicion. This is a great secret we learn here that you might not learn at other so called elite law schools.

There is a huge alumni base and they have been really helpful in helping us land internships and giving us tips for our career. Just last week I had coffee at a local Starbucks with a recent grad. It was awesome because he was able to use his employee discount on the coffee so I got a white mocha for like 2.50. He told me that your law school doesn't really matter when it comes to getting a job, it's all about how hard you work. Too many law schools and people on this site focus on your first job out of law school. But there are tons of grads that don't have a job right away but with the right combination of elbow grease and networking they land on their feet.

If I could give you some advice as a 3l student it would be just stop deliberating and send in your deposit to SIU right away. Don't listen to anyone on this site and definitely don't waste your time researching about the school. The statistics about this school are all wrong. The best thing to do is to only talk to people who go here. Even better actually would be to see if you can find some successful lawyers who graduated from here. The more years ago they graduated the more informed and helpful there advice will be.

Good luck with your cycle! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Last edited by Lonnie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:33 am

Lonnie wrote:Thanks so much!! After having to read all this trash from people who didnt attend, I feel better reading your post! That's all I needed an insider's pt of view! :) good Luck with everything.


No problem brother. Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and will definitely be making a quality life decision no matter which one of these schools you choose.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby bjsesq » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 am

This is so fucking meta.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15059
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby suralin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:32 am

Lonnie wrote:Thanks so much!! After having to read all this trash from people who didnt attend, I feel better reading your post! That's all I needed an insider's pt of view! :) good Luck with everything.

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Lonnie wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.


Thanks! Just came on here simply to see others experiences- Do you feel the school is preparing u for the bar? Is there a large alumni connection and internships? Any advice as a student in their last yr @SIU?


The school is definitely preparing me for the bar. They offer classes in subjects that are tested on the bar exam. The only reason our bar passage rate isn't higher is because some of us actually fail the bar on purpose. I plan on doing this myself. Career services tells us that employers are more skeptical of grads that pass the bar on the first try because it looks like we may have cheated. Ethics is a big part of being a lawyer so you don't want to attract suspicion. This is a great secret we learn here that you might not learn at other so called elite law schools.

There is a huge alumni base and they have been really helpful in helping us land internships and giving us tips for our career. Just last week I had coffee at a local Starbucks with a recent grad. It was awesome because he was able to use his employee discount on the coffee so I got a white mocha for like 2.50. He told me that your law school doesn't really matter when it comes to getting a job, it's all about how hard you work. Too many law schools and people on this site focus on your first job out of law school. But there are tons of grads that don't have a job right away but with the right combination of elbow grease and networking they land on their feet.

If I could give you some advice as a 3l student it would be just stop deliberating and send in your deposit to SIU right away. Don't listen to anyone on this site and definitely don't waste your time researching about the school. The statistics about this school are all wrong. The best thing to do is to only talk to people who go here. Even better actually would be to see if you can find some successful lawyers who graduated from here. The more years ago they graduated the more informed and helpful there advice will be.

Good luck with your cycle! Let me know if you have any more questions.


Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/MDbuhhRthqU

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby stratocophic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Lonnie wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Lonnie, don't listen to these jerks. I am a current 3l at SIU law, let me know if you have any specific questions.


Thanks! Just came on here simply to see others experiences- Do you feel the school is preparing u for the bar? Is there a large alumni connection and internships? Any advice as a student in their last yr @SIU?


The school is definitely preparing me for the bar. They offer classes in subjects that are tested on the bar exam. The only reason our bar passage rate isn't higher is because some of us actually fail the bar on purpose. I plan on doing this myself. Career services tells us that employers are more skeptical of grads that pass the bar on the first try because it looks like we may have cheated. Ethics is a big part of being a lawyer so you don't want to attract suspicion. This is a great secret we learn here that you might not learn at other so called elite law schools.

There is a huge alumni base and they have been really helpful in helping us land internships and giving us tips for our career. Just last week I had coffee at a local Starbucks with a recent grad. It was awesome because he was able to use his employee discount on the coffee so I got a white mocha for like 2.50. He told me that your law school doesn't really matter when it comes to getting a job, it's all about how hard you work. Too many law schools and people on this site focus on your first job out of law school. But there are tons of grads that don't have a job right away but with the right combination of elbow grease and networking they land on their feet.

If I could give you some advice as a 3l student it would be just stop deliberating and send in your deposit to SIU right away. Don't listen to anyone on this site and definitely don't waste your time researching about the school. The statistics about this school are all wrong. The best thing to do is to only talk to people who go here. Even better actually would be to see if you can find some successful lawyers who graduated from here. The more years ago they graduated the more informed and helpful there advice will be.

Good luck with your cycle! Let me know if you have any more questions.
180 but you're definitely going to hell for dis here post

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 am

Hi OP,

I know you are looking for graduates of the two schools, and that's a good idea. You should talk to people who are at these schools and people who have graduated from them to see what their experiences have been, see what the schools are like, find out what students and grads are doing with their degrees, etc.

But you shouldn't rely solely on random one-off anecdotes when there is a mountain of concrete, tangible data slapping you in the face. Please be sure to check out these LST reports before making a decision:

rinkrat19 wrote:
dr123 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=siu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nccu

yikes @ NCCU
If you dig deeper, almost all of the "firm" jobs from both schools are in firms of <10 people. (Read: unemployed classmates banding together to try and start their own firms with no book of business or startup capital.) Double yikes.


FWIW, SIU is a better choice since you're from downstate Illinois and their job prospects are a little better, but the prospects from both schools are terrible. Retake or don't go are the best options. You don't need to be a graduate of one of these schools to figure that out.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:01 am

I posted that real advice without reading pages 3 and 4. Now all I've got to say is...

romothesavior wrote:Ludo killin it lately


...and the dude took it hook, like, and sinker.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 am

Some other things to consider:

You probably should attend these schools at sticker. Paying full price will make you hungrier since you have all those loans to pay back.

Since you've won three cases already, I can tell you will be top of your class. Most of your professors have never won a case at all, so you might even be schooling them!

Remember, everyone on this site is your competition. Don't believe a word they say, since if you don't go to law school that's one less person they have to compete with. It would be like Lebron not going pro because Melo told him college ball is better. What a dumb idea that would have been, right?

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby nebula666 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hi OP,

I know you are looking for graduates of the two schools, and that's a good idea. You should talk to people who are at these schools and people who have graduated from them to see what their experiences have been, see what the schools are like, find out what students and grads are doing with their degrees, etc.

But you shouldn't rely solely on random one-off anecdotes when there is a mountain of concrete, tangible data slapping you in the face. Please be sure to check out these LST reports before making a decision:

rinkrat19 wrote:
dr123 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=siu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nccu

yikes @ NCCU
If you dig deeper, almost all of the "firm" jobs from both schools are in firms of <10 people. (Read: unemployed classmates banding together to try and start their own firms with no book of business or startup capital.) Double yikes.


Uhh, did the people who put together the LST reports go to SIU or NCCU? If not, they aren't qualified to talk about those schools.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:59 pm

I keep thinking that no more good can come of this thread. I am pleasantly surprised with the continuation of derp. solid advice and reasonable discussion.

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:I posted that real advice without reading pages 3 and 4. Now all I've got to say is...

romothesavior wrote:Ludo killin it lately


...and the dude took it hook, like, and sinker.


Actually I didn't i stopped after he talked about not passing the bar on purpose... It was just 2am in the morning.. and without reading the rest of his post.. i thought he was being polite. There was no way i would think about failing the bar. And there was no way one person was going to make a decision for me. There is no one on this site that has to care about me getting into these schools or others. its 3pm where I am now.. I'm wide awake.. so we can get this started again.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby goldeneye » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Lonnie, we're only saying these things to help you. We've seen and experienced people be crushed by endless amounts of debt after graduating from schools where getting gainful employment is difficult. Do your own research and you'll find even the statistics these schools proffer make it difficult to pay off loans.

And that story about Starbucks is true for lots of grads.

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 pm

goldeneye wrote:Lonnie, we're only saying these things to help you. We've seen and experienced people be crushed by endless amounts of debt after graduating from schools where getting gainful employment is difficult. Do your own research and you'll find even the statistics these schools proffer make it difficult to pay off loans.

And that story about Starbucks is true for lots of grads.



It may or may not be true.... But I came on her simply for opinions of those who went to the school.. and I get a ton of of message from assholes, who instead of saying things politely were down right rude. So I didn’t care to hear anything after. Don't you think If I had the opp to go to a better school I would? If a person doesn't know how to respond on a forum, but instead tries to make another persons day sour, then Yea you get a response like the ones I gave. I heard/read all your thoughts. I appreciate two. The rude people can go royally F themselves.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Lonnie wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Lonnie, we're only saying these things to help you. We've seen and experienced people be crushed by endless amounts of debt after graduating from schools where getting gainful employment is difficult. Do your own research and you'll find even the statistics these schools proffer make it difficult to pay off loans.

And that story about Starbucks is true for lots of grads.



It may or may not be true.... But I came on her simply for opinions of those who went to the school.. and I get a ton of of message from assholes, who instead of saying things politely were down right rude. So I didn’t care to hear anything after. Don't you think If I had the opp to go to a better school I would? If a person doesn't know how to respond on a forum, but instead tries to make another persons day sour, then Yea you get a response like the ones I gave. I heard/read all your thoughts. I appreciate two. The rude people can go royally F themselves.


Why can't you go to a better school?

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15059
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby suralin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Lonnie wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Lonnie, we're only saying these things to help you. We've seen and experienced people be crushed by endless amounts of debt after graduating from schools where getting gainful employment is difficult. Do your own research and you'll find even the statistics these schools proffer make it difficult to pay off loans.

And that story about Starbucks is true for lots of grads.



It may or may not be true.... But I came on her simply for opinions of those who went to the school.. and I get a ton of of message from assholes, who instead of saying things politely were down right rude. So I didn’t care to hear anything after. Don't you think If I had the opp to go to a better school I would? If a person doesn't know how to respond on a forum, but instead tries to make another persons day sour, then Yea you get a response like the ones I gave. I heard/read all your thoughts. I appreciate two. The rude people can go royally F themselves.


Why can't you go to a better school?


^ This may seem facetious, but really, if you haven't invested at least a substantial amount of time into studying for the LSAT you could easily have opportunities to go to better schools, which would then lead to less debt and a higher (chance of high) income. Check out the LSAT Prep section of the forum; there are plenty of posters who have raised their first score by 10-15 points--even an increase of 3 points is equivalent to tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of higher earnings over your lifetime.

Also--particularly for somebody entering the legal field--you should strive to distinguish between a message's tone and content. Regardless of how rude or polite somebody is being, you should evaluate the substance of their message independently; that is, if what they're saying is in fact true, then insofar as you care about being well-informed, their being rude is immaterial.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Which is better

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:49 pm

LOL. Did you think that renaming your thread would get people to stop telling you to retake?

Lonnie
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Which is better

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:LOL. Did you think that renaming your thread would get people to stop telling you to retake?


No Child molester!

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Which is better

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Lonnie wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:LOL. Did you think that renaming your thread would get people to stop telling you to retake?


No Child molester!


lolwut




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests