Sigh.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Did Lonnie get pwned?

Yes
59%
I am a fish
41%

Total votes: 17

Lonnie

Sigh.

Postby Lonnie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 pm

User has been banned
Last edited by Lonnie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rinkrat19

Re: SIU law vs NCCU law

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Oh boy.

They're both pretty terrible schools. Not because the quality of the education is measurably worse than anywhere else, but because they give you terrible odds at getting a decent job that pays a living wage.

It's a marginally less awful decision to go to the school that gives you less debt, where you have ties.

(The correct answer is, of course, to retake the LSAT until you can get into a school worth attending.)

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 pm

I should have stated.....I only want opinions of those that actually attended the schools!! Not people that just browsed the net- the options are what's listed- Thanks

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Lonnie wrote:I should have stated.....I only want opinions of those that actually attended the schools!! Not people that just browsed the net- the options are what's listed- Thanks

In this case, "people that [sic] just browsed the net" = people who have looked at the actual employment data for the schools.

This site is called "top-law-schools.com." I would be sincerely surprised if anyone here attended either.

If, however, you change your mind and seek advice on how to increase your LSAT score in order to get into a good school, this site is an awesome resource that has saved a lot of people from financial and career suicide.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm

I seriously doubt you will find a grad of either school, let alone both, on TLS. They're probably too busy drinking away their regrets to come here and explain what a terrible idea it is to follow in their footsteps.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm

I had to look up both of these schools just to find out what they were. Neither of them are commendable in any way that I can tell.

OP, what are your stats (GPA/LSAT)? It's entirely possible you could get into better schools and don't realize it.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Carbondale is a booming city?

NCtoVAtoNC

Postby NCtoVAtoNC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

I have not been on this forum for quite some time, but it appears that I have returned at an opportune time. I cannot speak for SIU, but I am a current 3L at NCCU.

To start, as many here would advise, if you're not going T14 (or even T1), you will have quite the uphill climb. In North Carolina, you will be competing against Duke, WF, and UNC students. Not to mention, you will have Campbell, Elon, and even Charlotte Law students competing with you for whatever jobs/internships are left. To give you an idea of your (mostly) in-state job/intern prospects: NC District Court and Superior Court judges do not have law clerks. If you want to clerk, you'll have to target the Business Courts, COA, or Supreme Court. Students from schools like NCCU and Campbell can and do receive clerkship offers, but these students are going to be top 5-10%, law review, etc.

Now, there are definitely outliers within a school like NCCU. I have personally known graduates who have received offers to work for the IRS, as AUSAs, with another federal agency, and in-house corporate. However, it is highly unlikely you will be working in a major market. You will be in North Carolina, or somewhere else geographically near.

As a current student of NCCU, this is what I will advise: Unless you receive a full scholarship to the school, and do not receive admission from a T1 school, do not go. Even at in-state tuition rates, the employment prospects make it difficult to justify the 9-10K (over 22K as an out-of-state student) a year for the next 3 years. I have enjoyed my time at the school. I have been largely satisfied with the quality of the professors. The administrative staff could use some improvement. I can only speak anecdotally as compared to other schools, but there is a legit 20-25% attrition rate and, no matter what you are told, there is a "C" curve (enjoy explaining that to an employer who is not familiar with the school). The school does have a solid reputation amongst the local legal community.

Full disclosure: I am on a full scholarship. I am a little bit older than your traditional law student and one reason I chose NCCU (other than the scholarship) was because my wife works in the area. I also do not have to worry about paying rent or for many other living expenses. I have interned with a federal agency and a Fortune 50 corporation. And just like most students at my school with the same or similar stats, I am still looking for a job post-graduation. The full scholarship just makes it easier to go through the process.

I do not know your station in life, or your interests, backgrounds, etc. However, unless you seriously want to remain in the NC area, receive a full scholarship, have prior legal connections, or are financially capable of taking a lower paying job, reconsider. My personal example is not typical.

NCtoVAtoNC

Postby NCtoVAtoNC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Also, the 2012 class had ~60% bar pass rate for NC. The school has traditionally had about a 75-85% passage rate, so this past year might say more about the 2012 class, but it is something to consider.

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm

@ NCtoVAtoNC Thank U so much for your input!!! It helped a lot. I seen the last yr bar passing rate and wondered what happened. That is scary. I'm older then the typical law school, but I have not been offered a full scholarship. I haven't received my letter yet, just my SIU packet today. They also have to compete with the big Illinois schools... You made really good points.. Thanks again.

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:31 pm

@rinkrat19 @IAFG @vanwinkle Looks like I found someone who is attending/has attended the schools in question on my post... Since That's what I asked for. All other opinions and/or statements are irrelevant. So If you don't have any of the input that I am looking for kindly leave my post be.
:roll:

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Lonnie wrote:@rinkrat19 @IAFG @vanwinkle Looks like I found someone who is attending/has attended the schools in question on my post... Since That's what I asked for. All other opinions and/or statements are irrelevant. So If you don't have any of the input that I am looking for kindly leave my post be.

I hope what i think is about to happen actually happens

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 pm

I do not attend either one of these schools, but I go to another NC school and spent my 1L summer at an organization with many NCCU grads, all of whom were fine attorneys. I have had extended discussions with one of the grads who worked for a small firm before lateraling over and he said that you really cannot expect to get firm offers unless you have previous connections or are at the absolute top of your class. He said past the top 10%, firms really are not really an option (unless you solo right out of school). However, if you are targeting DA positions, Legal Aid, government or non-profit work you will find many NCCU grads and a chance for a job. Given these prospects I would be hesitant to recommend unless you are going for very cheap.

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 pm

@ YankeesFan Thanks!! :)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Lonnie wrote:@rinkrat19 @IAFG @vanwinkle Looks like I found someone who is attending/has attended the schools in question on my post... Since That's what I asked for. All other opinions and/or statements are irrelevant. So If you don't have any of the input that I am looking for kindly leave my post be.

You really want me to leave your post alone? I'm not sure that means what you think it means.

Attention, TLS: I'm leaving this thread alone now!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:20 am

I considered SIU, and I'm from a city where many of the attorneys are SIU grads. However, if you have no desire to live in Central/Southern Illinois, then don't go to there. If you feel compelled to go to SIU, then at least try to retake to a 161. A 161+ gets you a full ride there, and cost of living isn't too high in Carbondale.

I think the best route for you to take is to study HARD for the lsat, retake, and then apply for a much better school in the region of the country where you actually want to live. Many of the people on this site studied hard, and took the lsat two or three times, which is why they are at TOP-law-schools. You really won't regret it if you put in the time and energy into retaking. I go to a good school now (UIUC, so ok, not a GREAT school, but really good for me), but some of the people I've met that only took the lsat once regret not at least trying to retake it. You'll never know if you don't try, dude.

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 am

mattviphky wrote:I considered SIU, and I'm from a city where many of the attorneys are SIU grads. However, if you have no desire to live in Central/Southern Illinois, then don't go to there. If you feel compelled to go to SIU, then at least try to retake to a 161. A 161+ gets you a full ride there, and cost of living isn't too high in Carbondale.

I think the best route for you to take is to study HARD for the lsat, retake, and then apply for a much better school in the region of the country where you actually want to live. Many of the people on this site studied hard, and took the lsat two or three times, which is why they are at TOP-law-schools. You really won't regret it if you put in the time and energy into retaking. I go to a good school now (UIUC, so ok, not a GREAT school, but really good for me), but some of the people I've met that only took the lsat once regret not at least trying to retake it. You'll never know if you don't try, dude.

I wouldnt want to live in Southern Illy I'm from Mid IL though so I would move north afterwards..I actually took the Lsat 2x. and bc of my age.. I dont want to retake. I got a 146 first time and 154 last time... So i'm working with what I have.. I applied to really good Ohio schools and I'm sure I will get a nod from at least one.. But I dont want to live in Ohio :? So it's between IL/NC. And no disrespect but those that are at top law schools that have comments.. Idc too much about. I'm ok with the schools I applied to...Everyone wont be able to get into a TOP LS and that's fine.. But I do appreciate your input :) and thank U for remaining on topic

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 am

Lonnie wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I considered SIU, and I'm from a city where many of the attorneys are SIU grads. However, if you have no desire to live in Central/Southern Illinois, then don't go to there. If you feel compelled to go to SIU, then at least try to retake to a 161. A 161+ gets you a full ride there, and cost of living isn't too high in Carbondale.

I wouldnt want to live in Southern Illy I'm from Mid IL though so I would move north afterwards..I actually took the Lsat 2x. and bc of my age.. I dont want to retake. I got a 146 first time and 154 last time... So i'm working with what I have.. I applied to really good Ohio schools and I'm sure I will get a nod from at least one.. But I dont want to live in Ohio :? So it's between IL/NC. And no disrespect but those that are at top law schools that have comments.. Idc too much about. I'm ok with the schools I applied to...Everyone wont be able to get into a TOP LS and that's fine.. But I do appreciate your input :) and thank U for remaining on topic

Whereabouts in mid Illinois? You can PM me if you want to keep that discrete.
But to stay on topic, you should still definitely retake. When I applied to SIU, they said they would take any LSAT score you have until you start school. So even if you study for June, they would still take your June score for scholarship purposes. I think that is actually a pretty cool deal, because you aren't going to be applying for any schools that late in the game. So even if you buckle down, study hard, retake in Feb or June, and even end up with just a 158, that score will increase your scholarship amount. They have a set scale for handing out scholarships. Like 155 gets a certain amount, 157 a bit more, 159 a bit more, and then a 161 is a full ride. So at least try to improve your score, because at this point, it's about improving scholarship money and not getting into Harvard.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 am

Lonnie wrote:

If you would prefer a 50% chance of finding a job to a 35% chance, go to SIU. However, since you have denounced and rejected the opinions of those who seem to care more about your best interest than do you, I guess my opinion doesn't matter.

Nobody on this forum is going to tell you that going to either of these schools, even for free, is a good idea, unless you have a job already lined up. But if you are forcing me to answer a question of terrible versus horrendous, go with terrible (SIU).

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am

@nebula666- u were right- Your opinion doesn't matter- and NO ONE forced u to answer a dog-on thing! Graduates only... dang- you all supose to attend the top schools and don't understand that?? I don't need your negative comments-

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 am

atcushman wrote:

I hope what i think is about to happen actually happens

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 am

Lonnie wrote:@nebula666- u were right- Your opinion doesn't matter- and NO ONE forced u to answer a dog-on thing! Graduates only... dang- you all supose to attend the top schools and don't understand that?? I don't need your negative comments-

You and my mother-in-law have something in common. You both think punctuation marks are decorative word confetti.

Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:11 am

IAFG wrote:
Lonnie wrote:@nebula666- u were right- Your opinion doesn't matter- and NO ONE forced u to answer a dog-on thing! Graduates only... dang- you all supose to attend the top schools and don't understand that?? I don't need your negative comments-

You and my mother-in-law have something in common. You both think punctuation marks are decorative word confetti.

Damn you haven't found you something to do yet?! Stop stalking this post-

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 am

Lonnie wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I hear SIU has a Cyber Stalking Law Clinic. Should be right up your ally.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 am

Lonnie wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Aww, you're sweet to ask. I am trying to nurse my newborn to sleep, so no, I really don't have anything else to do.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”