Stanford 1L taking questions for a bit

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ttime97

Re: Stanford 1L taking questions for a bit

Postby ttime97 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Someone in this thread asked about negotiating need based aid (vs. H and Y packages) but it ended up being passed over - I was wondering if any of the students have done it and if so what did it entail?

ThinkNegative

Postby ThinkNegative » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:20 am

Just call Dean Deal, tell her your concerns and request in a respectful and reasonable way (including other offers and why you might need to give another offer serious consideration), and see what she says. Very straight shooter, and she already knows you because she's jefe of both admissions and financial aid. So if she can help, she will. Good luck!

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 am

Yukos wrote:Glad to see some more SLS students in here, I've been busy with finals. I just want to say I read GTM right before starting and it was a big help (even though I didn't understand any of the doctrinal stuff). It really helped me figure out what profs wanted to see.

Meh, I didn't find it that helpful. Basically, all I remember is that you need to throw out both sides' arguments, basic lawyering skills that you'll figure out by reading a practice test (which, btw, I found to be the absolute best way to study for tests). Save the time. Go to the beach.

hwannabe1234 wrote:If I send my intent to enroll at other school and withdraw my spot from stanford, could I still visit ASW and get cost reimbursement for the airfare?

THANKS!

If you want to start your career as a lawyer by being an unethical POS, while not technically breaking the rules, sure!

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Yukos wrote:Glad to see some more SLS students in here, I've been busy with finals. I just want to say I read GTM right before starting and it was a big help (even though I didn't understand any of the doctrinal stuff). It really helped me figure out what profs wanted to see.

Meh, I didn't find it that helpful. Basically, all I remember is that you need to throw out both sides' arguments, basic lawyering skills that you'll figure out by reading a practice test (which, btw, I found to be the absolute best way to study for tests). Save the time. Go to the beach.

To each their own. I read GTM on the beach so those two aren't mutually exclusive.

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:26 pm

I would like to know what the Stanford Law Journal competition is like. When is it held? How long does it take? Does everyone participate?

Trustbuster

Postby Trustbuster » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:17 pm

The only competition is for law review. That's held in either May or June of your 1L year (you choose which period you want to do it in). I forget how long it is, but its a two-part process (an essay and an article edit). Not everyone participates. As for journals, early on during your 1L-year they hand you a sheet of paper asking you to rank your journal preferences. You likely will get your top pick.

LSAT9986

Postby LSAT9986 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:28 am

Does anyone know what the odds are of living in Munger for all 3 years? Is this possible/likely?

jimbeam21

Postby jimbeam21 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:45 am

How's the gym situation at SLS? How close are the facilities to SLS/Munger/Escondido? Are there squat racks? Are they crowded in the mornings?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm

LSAT9986 wrote:Does anyone know what the odds are of living in Munger for all 3 years? Is this possible/likely?

I believe if you get a yearlong lease, you can renew it every year. There are definitely some 3Ls in Munger but I don't know how many want to stay but can't.

jimbeam21 wrote:How's the gym situation at SLS? How close are the facilities to SLS/Munger/Escondido? Are there squat racks? Are they crowded in the mornings?

There are people who can answer this much better than me but if no one responds in the next couple days I'll tell you what I know.

Wiggly

Postby Wiggly » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:00 pm

jimbeam21 wrote:How's the gym situation at SLS? How close are the facilities to SLS/Munger/Escondido? Are there squat racks? Are they crowded in the mornings?

The gyms are not all that close to SLS/Munger: the main complex is probably a 10 minute walk (old arrillaga); the new complex is maybe an 8 minute walk. There is also a mini-gym in tressider (half-way between SLS and new arrillaga), but its a POS. A couple people I know bike to the gym to not waste time.

Regarding squat racks: I don't do them. They used to be crowded, but after new arrillaga opened up, i think you're fine. But I'm not guaranteeing that since I haven't been in the AM in a while.

Overall: we have a number of gym rats, and they dont seem too disturbed by the gym situation.

Yukos wrote:To each their own. I read GTM on the beach so those two aren't mutually exclusive.

Probably the best of both worlds. And you're right, better to have skimmed it than to have wished you had when those straight Ps roll in come January

jimbeam21

Postby jimbeam21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
The gyms are not all that close to SLS/Munger: the main complex is probably a 10 minute walk (old arrillaga); the new complex is maybe an 8 minute walk. There is also a mini-gym in tressider (half-way between SLS and new arrillaga), but its a POS. A couple people I know bike to the gym to not waste time.

Regarding squat racks: I don't do them. They used to be crowded, but after new arrillaga opened up, i think you're fine. But I'm not guaranteeing that since I haven't been in the AM in a while.

Thanks! The new fitness center looks awesome. A pool, basketball courts, and a BOULDERING WALL?! Sure beats the hell out of Harvard Law's crappy gym.

The more I think about Stanford the more ecstatic I become. Not just for the school, but for California in general. I can only imagine how awesome it is to have the Sierras nearby for some hiking/skiing, or to some of the nearby beaches for a weekend surf trip to let off some steam after studying.

El_Bee_Oh

Postby El_Bee_Oh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Do you know anyone that applied to the business school during their 1L year? Any idea on if being enrolled at the law school helps with admissions?

WinterIsHere

Postby WinterIsHere » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 pm

El_Bee_Oh wrote:Do you know anyone that applied to the business school during their 1L year? Any idea on if being enrolled at the law school helps with admissions?

People do it. There's sort of an assumption that it's easier to get in once you're in law school, but my sense from hearing others do it is that does not at all reflect reality. You still have to take the admissions test and be an appropriately qualified candidate, so it's far from guaranteed. Same goes for other dual degree programs.

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:07 am

How realistic is it for students at SLS to get a 1L SA if they want one? (Ignoring the fact that they may not even be appealing due to lower financial aid, etc.)

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm

DrStudMuffin wrote:How realistic is it for students at SLS to get a 1L SA if they want one? (Ignoring the fact that they may not even be appealing due to lower financial aid, etc.)

32.5% of the Class of 2015 got a 1L SA. Dunno what is for us now, maybe higher? https://www.law.stanford.edu/careers/pr ... employment

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 am

HankBashir wrote:
DrStudMuffin wrote:How realistic is it for students at SLS to get a 1L SA if they want one? (Ignoring the fact that they may not even be appealing due to lower financial aid, etc.)

32.5% of the Class of 2015 got a 1L SA. Dunno what is for us now, maybe higher? https://www.law.stanford.edu/careers/pr ... employment

My guess is higher. Our class is killing it with 1L SAs. Especially for people who really targeted firm work, I think it had to be a pretty high percentage.

rehbands

Postby rehbands » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 am

Last edited by rehbands on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm

General law school question but kind of specific to Stanford: did you guys find the estimated cost of attendance to be accurate? The loans this year for financial aid come out to be about $82k. What did you make extra allowances for? Thanks!

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:04 am

thewaves wrote:General law school question but kind of specific to Stanford: did you guys find the estimated cost of attendance to be accurate? The loans this year for financial aid come out to be about $82k. What did you make extra allowances for? Thanks!

You definitely don't need to take full loans, but how much less you can live on depends on you. Wish I could be more specific but it really depends on where you live, how much you cook, how much you go out, whether you have a car on campus, etc.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:14 am

Would SLS students perform better or worse in lsat today without much prep before the test than they performed when applying? It seems reasonable to think that law students at a top school will have a much improved and thorough knowledge of arguments/reasoning theory as well as of limits to their own knowledge than they did prior to starting the law school but want to confirm.

banks

Postby banks » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm wondering if one of you could discuss a typical 1L day or week.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:56 pm

jmjm wrote:Would SLS students perform better or worse in lsat today without much prep before the test than they performed when applying? It seems reasonable to think that law students at a top school will have a much improved and thorough knowledge of arguments/reasoning theory as well as of limits to their own knowledge than they did prior to starting the law school but want to confirm.

Weird question. I haven't looked at an LSAT question since I took the test like two years ago, but if I had to guess I've gotten much worse at games and probably held study at reasoning--any improvement from thinking like a lawyer being offset by forgetting the specific tricks of LSAT.

zazmo2

Postby zazmo2 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm

How is SLS for PI-focused students? Would you say there's a solid community of PI students, or are they more scattered/rare? How is the PI career services office?

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Any stanford campus events where one could meet with current LS students and ask them general questions?
It may vary from individual to individual, but typically how many hours per day one must study to do reasonably well at sls? What would be the percentage of engineer/stem types in sls body?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”