Are bottom of the class students treated as pariahs?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ndirish2010

Re: Are bottom of the class students treated as pariahs?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 pm

I agree that outside the T14, it is pretty easy to tell grades. Law review and Dean's Awards/Dean's List being publicly posted makes it obvious, and then also in the LR office people are far more open about it.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Yeah, but conversely, I think outside the T14 there are more write-on opportunities for LR? At least at my school (lower T1), there's certainly a correlation between LR and grades, but it's not exact, because LR was 95% write-on. And we didn't publish Dean's List or have CALI awards or anything like that. I knew small groups of people at my school who seemed to discuss/find out people's grades, but generally speaking, it wasn't talked about and no one cared. (Although maybe that was just my class... apparently the #1 and #2 student in the class below mine made sure everyone knew who they were!)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:12 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I agree that outside the T14, it is pretty easy to tell grades. Law review and Dean's Awards/Dean's List being publicly posted makes it obvious, and then also in the LR office people are far more open about it.

Aren't LR and Deans List typically given to the top 10-15% of the class, even outside of the T14? The bottom 85% doesn't know where in that 85% everyone else is, it just knows they're all in that group together.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:No

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”