Canadian Biglaw Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jredelman15

Bronze

Canadian Biglaw

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 pm

How hard is it to get biglaw in Canada from US school? For argument sake lets use schools from 30-60.

LawyerGirl2014

New

Re: Canadian Biglaw

Post by LawyerGirl2014 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:31 am

I can't speak from experience, however, I have researched your question quite a bit as I'm intrested in practicing in Canada. Due to the articling requirements and NCA ( accreditation for foreign lawyers) it is difficult to do BigLaw in Canada at a Canadian firm. Canadian law students must complete an articling requirement, which is essentially a paid internship before they can take the bar. This usually last 10 months plus the NCA process can take time since sometimes you're required to take courses at a Canadian law school. Even if these requirements are completed many firms are reluctant to hire US trained lawyers without you having some kind of tie to the area or "Canadian Experience." The most feasible option for a US educated lawyers is to work for a US firm with a Canadian office. Another option, if you intend on residing in Canada is to attend law school in Canada. Hopefully someone else with more experience can offer more advice, but I hope this has helped.

7ED

Bronze

Re: Canadian Biglaw

Post by 7ED » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Depends on what stage of your career you are at - due to government regulations the process is tailored to the individual. So if you are fresh out of law school... its not going to be easy.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”