Employment During Year Off

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
superpippo

Employment During Year Off

Postby superpippo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

After speaking with many people, including those who post on TLS, I'm strongly considering taking the year off and re-taking the LSAT to try to make the T-14.

However, my concern with taking a year off has always been that finding substantive employment during that year will be difficult because I will be moving to a big city, where the job market is competitive/over-saturated. As I'll be in law school for 3 years, I'm looking to do something meaningful outside of the field of law, possibly for a company that I could apply for later as an in-house counsel.

Recently, I've noticed some fairly prominent start-ups will be recruiting for positions I could compete for at my undergrad's OCI. My main question is, however, how I can spin the fact that I will likely be attending law school the next year? Given that I have legal work on my resume and a foreign law course on my study abroad CV, it seems like this topic would likely come up. How should I approach things: ignore it, be candid, etc.?

I'm hoping some current graduates/law students could give me some advice on how you approached employers/handled working at companies, knowing that you are on a 1-year-off plan.

TheThriller

Re: Employment During Year Off

Postby TheThriller » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Also super interested in this

joedf

Postby joedf » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm no expert, but I'm roughly in the middle of the situation you described, so here's my experience.

I think a more focused position would've been more beneficial, but I needed money, so I started working as a legal assistant at a law firm. The pay's fairly solid (in southern CA), I get benefits, and some good exposure... but at the end of the day, it is an assistant job. Law schools won't necessarily count it as a leg up in admissions, nor do I expect them to. These jobs will be fairly easy to come by since the turnover is high, and almost nobody expects you to stay a long time, just be up front about leaving.

I did intern at a foreign embassy in DC over the summer, which I consider much more valuable. The thing is, that was unpaid.

There are probably several excellent, likely seasonal internships you can apply for. If IP Law's up your alley, why not the US Patent Office? DC has tons of great things in almost all areas, and you can likely get an internship at a firm in your desired field, in your area. Interns aren't expected to stay.

The problem, again, is that these are all probably unpaid (minus perhaps a small stipend for transportation, etc., I got one like that). Paid jobs won't be substantial, and will be very difficult, because why train someone and give them significant responsibility when they plan to leave just as they've started to get a solid grasp on their job and the material? And you recognize this, from your post, too. That said, it's worth a shot. Networking's probably going to be your greatest ally if this is what you want, as a recent grad. Just don't expect anything too crazy.

Hope that's some help, again, no expert, just what I went through in my own job hunt.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 pm

superpippo wrote:After speaking with many people, including those who post on TLS, I'm strongly considering taking the year off and re-taking the LSAT to try to make the T-14.

However, my concern with taking a year off has always been that finding substantive employment during that year will be difficult because I will be moving to a big city, where the job market is competitive/over-saturated. As I'll be in law school for 3 years, I'm looking to do something meaningful outside of the field of law, possibly for a company that I could apply for later as an in-house counsel.

Recently, I've noticed some fairly prominent start-ups will be recruiting for positions I could compete for at my undergrad's OCI. My main question is, however, how I can spin the fact that I will likely be attending law school the next year? Given that I have legal work on my resume and a foreign law course on my study abroad CV, it seems like this topic would likely come up. How should I approach things: ignore it, be candid, etc.?

I'm hoping some current graduates/law students could give me some advice on how you approached employers/handled working at companies, knowing that you are on a 1-year-off plan.

I'm about to be in the same position. If I can't find a substantial job, I'm going to volunteer my ass off.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:22 am

superpippo wrote:After speaking with many people, including those who post on TLS, I'm strongly considering taking the year off and re-taking the LSAT to try to make the T-14.

I was in the same position last year and i took a job at a start up, I can tell you one thing Career Services (at least at NYU) are gems when in comes to positioning your resume to appeal to law firms.

They took all of my experience, found that i have "strong communication skills" and helped me write my cover letter to that effect. They positioned my as a client generator. (Now while i know this to be true ... lol)

I asked about my lack of legal experiance and they answered " some people come in with no jobs, some have been an assistant to a Justice on the ILC, all that matters is how you play up your skills and your grades."

I wouldnt worry about it, enjoy your year off

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:40 am

Go be a substitute teacher and make like $100 a day. I don't know why more people don't suggest this. This is the best of both worlds: You make good money and have a lot of breaks for holidays to study for the LSAT. Plus, you can leave easily and not really be qutting a real job. You don't want to be like me where you end up being out of school longer than you planned because of not being able to study due to full time work.

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:32 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Go be a substitute teacher and make like $100 a day. I don't know why more people don't suggest this. This is the best of both worlds: You make good money and have a lot of breaks for holidays to study for the LSAT. Plus, you can leave easily and not really be qutting a real job. You don't want to be like me where you end up being out of school longer than you planned because of not being able to study due to full time work.

Yea that does seem to be a good option, again the worry would be that I wouldn't make enough as a sub to be fully self-sufficient in an expensive city. I will actually look into this though.

However, I would like to redirect the conversation to the contents of my original post. The post is not really asking what I should do, it's asking how I can do what I want to do. There is potential for me to work for a really cool company that would be great to in-house for in the long term. Regardless of that fact, it would be a good job, especially for networking. So I'm asking you or anyone else on the board if they could offer some advice about how to spin/address/or ignore the fact that I will likely be attending law school a year or two after joining the company during the interview process. I just don't know what the strategy is in that situation. I can't decide if they would view it negatively or favorably.

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:35 pm

izy223 wrote:

I was in the same position last year and i took a job at a start up, I can tell you one thing Career Services (at least at NYU) are gems when in comes to positioning your resume to appeal to law firms.

They took all of my experience, found that i have "strong communication skills" and helped me write my cover letter to that effect. They positioned my as a client generator. (Now while i know this to be true ... lol)

I asked about my lack of legal experiance and they answered " some people come in with no jobs, some have been an assistant to a Justice on the ILC, all that matters is how you play up your skills and your grades."

Was this like a legal start-up that you interned for? I guess I should have clarified further that the job I want is for a tech company, non-legal. That's why I'm thinking the law school thing will be more of an issue.

I do want to enjoy my summer, however I will enjoy it a lot more if I can make enough money to not live with my parents.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:09 pm

superpippo wrote:
izy223 wrote:

Was this like a legal start-up that you interned for? I guess I should have clarified further that the job I want is for a tech company, non-legal. That's why I'm thinking the law school thing will be more of an issue.

I do want to enjoy my summer, however I will enjoy it a lot more if I can make enough money to not live with my parents.

Nope it was a tech start up. Literally took the job bec it was the only paid position i could find for only 8 months (graduated in January)

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:36 am

This isn't necessarily career-oriented, but what about working as a Kaplan pre-college tutor.

I remember seeing that they hire people (even college students) to tutor elementary thru I think middle or high school kids.

Or maybe an SAT tutor (depending on our SAT score).

Those jobs may provide flexibility of hours that a traditional 9-5 won't.

On the other hand, you may want to look into start-ups (more of a "real" career path possibly):

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... tters.html

But that work may potentially be very time-consuming (possibly detracting from your LSAT prep) - I am not sure. It just sounds like start-ups require more time on the job (as a burgeoning company) than working for an established big company with a more stable infrastructure and position in industry. You may want to look into the hours of work for a start-up. Also, many go under and don't make it in industry, so that's a risk as well (you may be out of a job).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”