Will My Acne Hurt Interview Chances?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HBBJohnStamos

Re: Will My Acne Hurt Interview Chances?

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Uncle.Joe wrote:Davis Polk is out

The only useful post in this thread. Thank you.

ETA: besides the acid and french fries comments.

*goes to CTB*
*orders 193 mediterranean pizza bagels*

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:37 pm

I actually have specific experience on this point. Had acne in college, but went away when I started using proactiv.

Had 3 callback interviews. 2 in a cluster, and then one a month later. I stopped using proactiv for a while, and started breaking out right before the 3rd interview, with worse acne than when i was 17. That was the only job I got.

Point is, TLS overplays how superficial interviewers are. If you're smart, driven, and have a good personality, you're not going to be dinged simply because you've got a few zits here or there.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:I actually have specific experience on this point. Had acne in college, but went away when I started using proactiv.

Had 3 callback interviews. 2 in a cluster, and then one a month later. I stopped using proactiv for a while, and started breaking out right before the 3rd interview, with worse acne than when i was 17. That was the only job I got.

Point is, TLS overplays how superficial interviewers are. If you're smart, driven, and have a good personality, you're not going to be dinged simply because you've got a few zits here or there.

That's interesting. I guess when I have big acne breakouts mine can be really bad (when I'm off antibiotics). My freshmen acne was the worst. It just looked terrible, because of "bigger" lumps (basically like cysts). So I have some scarring from that.

I don't get those bigger cystic types of acne anymore, but do still get minor zit flareups. A lot does depend on whetehr or not I'm on meds or not. If off meds for 3+ months, then I have had occassionally a "big" flareup with really bad acne. If on meds, then I get minor zits here and there (but still noticeable, since I'm pale skinned).

Here's a question (my last one):

Would you ever consider wearing make-up as a male for an interview in these situations? I am completely clueless about it, but had recently thought of it in a kind of half serious conversation wtih my roommate. We were sort of joking around, but then we were like, "Hey, maybe that WOULD be a good idea."

But then we started thinking maybe the interviewer could tell I was wearing it and it might be weird? Can a male apply make-up in such a way where it's not detectable? I'm occassionally been unsure if females were wearing make up or not.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:15 am

scifiguy wrote:
Sgtpeppernyc wrote:I actually have specific experience on this point. Had acne in college, but went away when I started using proactiv.

That's interesting. I guess when I have big acne breakouts mine can be really bad (when I'm off antibiotics). My freshmen acne was the worst. It just looked terrible, because of "bigger" lumps (basically like cysts). So I have some scarring from that.

I don't get those bigger cystic types of acne anymore, but do still get minor zit flareups. A lot does depend on whetehr or not I'm on meds or not. If off meds for 3+ months, then I have had occassionally a "big" flareup with really bad acne. If on meds, then I get minor zits here and there (but still noticeable, since I'm pale skinned).

Here's a question (my last one):

Would you ever consider wearing make-up as a male for an interview in these situations? I am completely clueless about it, but had recently thought of it in a kind of half serious conversation wtih my roommate. We were sort of joking around, but then we were like, "Hey, maybe that WOULD be a good idea."

But then we started thinking maybe the interviewer could tell I was wearing it and it might be weird? Can a male apply make-up in such a way where it's not detectable? I'm occassionally been unsure if females were wearing make up or not.

Very high risk... you will also be doing callback interviews, and you do not seem able to put make up on your own. Plus, sure girls might wear make up and you do not notice it, but when they put enough make up to hide acne, then you sure notice it.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 am

Callbacks might be a different game. Screeners is an area where acne will hurt you more.
A bored OCI interviewer will see 20 students, and will select 4-5 of them. Unless you are a grade superstar, then he will not make a large distinction based on GPA. He might try to figure whether you are right for their market, but that is also not a big distinguishing factor. Thus, interview skills in particular, but also appearance, becomes extremely important at this stage. God, I think even timing during the day play a role, morning vs. afternoon etc...

In callbacks, the decision becomes less subjective. There is a committee meeting... they might say in that meeting that they find you awkward, but no one is going to raise the point along the lines of, "listen, we are not taking this guy cause he has too much acne."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”