Law School in the Future...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ohz

Law School in the Future...

Postby Ohz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:25 am

...Very far off, but a definite nonetheless.

Hi all, I’ve been browsing the forum a couple weeks now and thought I’d pop in and ask a few questions. Thank you for any information and/or answers in advance.

I suppose I was one of those kids who said he wanted to grow up to be a lawyer when he was little, but only recently have I realized that I actually do. I’ve done a small amount of research regarding the process of applying and being accepted into law school, but a few questions have popped up along the way.

A little bit of a bio on my current position:
I dropped out of high school due to lack of interest and significant lack of performance. I then attended my local community college and my performance was subpar; looking back on those years now, I wish I’d put in a little more effort to earn more As instead of Bs. I received my AA with a 3.46 GPA.

Now I am active duty US Navy. I am in training to become a Chinese Linguist; the Chinese classes I am taking are earning me undergrad credits. In the first six months of the program, I earned 15 credits with a 3.8 GPA. The second term is looking even more promising. I will graduate early summer of next year and move to Hawaii to perform my job for about 4 years.

In those 4 years, I will attend the University of Hawaii to finish my BA, as well as study for the LSAT religiously (my goal is above 170; no reason not to with 4 years of study time). If I am unable to finish the degree while enlisted, I’ll stay in Hawaii a few months after my enlistment is up and finish it.

At the end of it all, I’d like to move back home to Colorado and attend CU Boulder Law. If I qualify for higher ranked universities, I’ll apply.

My questions:
1) Counting all those darned Bs I received, I’m expecting something at or slightly above 3.6 for my LSAC GPA. Without considering my LSAT score, how will this GPA fare in the law school market?

2) I read somewhere that all undergraduate credits were counted toward the LSAC GPA, including high school. Is this to say Honors and AP classes, or does this mean they’ll want to see all of my high school grades? I suppose what I’m asking better phrased is: Are high school credits considered undergrad credits?

3) I’ll have spent a long time learning Chinese, and an even longer time using it daily for work. Is there any kind of job I could do after law school that ties both law and use of the language?

Thank you again in advance.

Lacepiece23

Re: Law School in the Future...

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Ohz wrote:...Very far off, but a definite nonetheless.

Hi all, I’ve been browsing the forum a couple weeks now and thought I’d pop in and ask a few questions. Thank you for any information and/or answers in advance.

I suppose I was one of those kids who said he wanted to grow up to be a lawyer when he was little, but only recently have I realized that I actually do. I’ve done a small amount of research regarding the process of applying and being accepted into law school, but a few questions have popped up along the way.

A little bit of a bio on my current position:
I dropped out of high school due to lack of interest and significant lack of performance. I then attended my local community college and my performance was subpar; looking back on those years now, I wish I’d put in a little more effort to earn more As instead of Bs. I received my AA with a 3.46 GPA.

Now I am active duty US Navy. I am in training to become a Chinese Linguist; the Chinese classes I am taking are earning me undergrad credits. In the first six months of the program, I earned 15 credits with a 3.8 GPA. The second term is looking even more promising. I will graduate early summer of next year and move to Hawaii to perform my job for about 4 years.

In those 4 years, I will attend the University of Hawaii to finish my BA, as well as study for the LSAT religiously (my goal is above 170; no reason not to with 4 years of study time). If I am unable to finish the degree while enlisted, I’ll stay in Hawaii a few months after my enlistment is up and finish it.

At the end of it all, I’d like to move back home to Colorado and attend CU Boulder Law. If I qualify for higher ranked universities, I’ll apply.

My questions:
1) Counting all those darned Bs I received, I’m expecting something at or slightly above 3.6 for my LSAC GPA. Without considering my LSAT score, how will this GPA fare in the law school market?

2) I read somewhere that all undergraduate credits were counted toward the LSAC GPA, including high school. Is this to say Honors and AP classes, or does this mean they’ll want to see all of my high school grades? I suppose what I’m asking better phrased is: Are high school credits considered undergrad credits?

3) I’ll have spent a long time learning Chinese, and an even longer time using it daily for work. Is there any kind of job I could do after law school that ties both law and use of the language?

Only read the part about the high school credits. I had some count. I got a C in a stats class in high school, but it was a CHS class and counted as college credit on my lsac gpa. Completely tanked my gpa.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:26 pm

(1) This is similar to my GPA. WIth a 170, you will get some T14 offers, especially with military experience.

(2) Are these on your undergraduate transcript? Anything that is will count.

(3) Yes. There are lots of firms with offices in China, or that do business with Chinese companies. I know some people who spent part of their 2L SA in China for their firms. Any language skills are assets, but if you target international firms, they may be a big one.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm

AP classes don't count as undergrad classes. Neither do regular high school classes.

Given that you're talking about applying at least 4 YEARS from now, here's the only thing you need to know right now: do not study for the LSAT for 4 years. There's only so much test material out there for practice. You should take 1 year max, and maybe more like 6 months. So forget about the LSAT for now. Just do well in your classes and see what interests you in a few years.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Ohz wrote:My questions:

1) It is, unfortunately, rather useless to evaluate either a GPA or a LSAT score alone. It's the combination of the two that informs where you would be best applying to. You should look at Law School Predictor. It will let you put in your GPA guess with various LSAT scores so you can see how it changes things.

2) Only certain classes are. They will not want to see all of your high school grades. If the class provided you with credit toward your undergraduate degree, it will count. So just taking an AP class won't count, but taking an AP class and scoring high enough on the test that your UG counted it in your transcript will count.

3) There are plenty of jobs that will value this skill and let you use both. There are several biglaw firms with offices in Hong Kong that would value a true fluency in both languages. I'd imagine that there are other positions that would offer you the ability to use your skills (ie immigration practice) but I'm less familiar with those. Your ability to try to find the kind of job that will really focus on both law and your language skills will depend on what kind of school you can get into, how good your grades at that school are, and where you are interested in working.

Ohz

Postby Ohz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks!

Swimp wrote:Given that you're talking about applying at least 4 YEARS from now, here's the only thing you need to know right now: do not study for the LSAT for 4 years. There's only so much test material out there for practice. You should take 1 year max, and maybe more like 6 months. So forget about the LSAT for now. Just do well in your classes and see what interests you in a few years.

I was wary that there wasn't likely enough practice resources available to study for that long; was also concerned that 4 years studying the same thing would be just too much. Hopefully though, in those 4 years, the economy improves and employment statistics follow suit.

Lincoln wrote:(3) Yes. There are lots of firms with offices in China, or that do business with Chinese companies. I know some people who spent part of their 2L SA in China for their firms. Any language skills are assets, but if you target international firms, they may be a big one.

Cool beans. I wouldn't want all that work and education to go to waste.

paratactical wrote:3) There are plenty of jobs that will value this skill and let you use both. There are several biglaw firms with offices in Hong Kong that would value a true fluency in both languages. I'd imagine that there are other positions that would offer you the ability to use your skills (ie immigration practice) but I'm less familiar with those. Your ability to try to find the kind of job that will really focus on both law and your language skills will depend on what kind of school you can get into, how good your grades at that school are, and where you are interested in working.

What kind of schools are you talking about here? Any specifics that you know of that are interested in such skills? Or are you referring to the T14, more or less?

Thanks again all! Really!

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 pm

The true international firms -- Freshfields, Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Allen Overy, etc. -- as well as the U.S. firms with major Asian practices that come to mind are very selective and generally choose people from top schools who also have some international and/or language background.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 pm

As for LSAT prep, second the comment that you should only start prepping for the LSAT a year out. It is possible to prep for the LSAT though without actually prepping for the LSAT, that is, hone the skills that the LSAT tests without actually doing real LSAT problems (note: don't do fake LSAT problems, ever).

You can buy books of logic puzzles, which are not the same as LSAT logic games, but require the same way of thinking. This will give you a bit of a head start once you begin your year of prep using real logic games. Also, try taking a philosophy or logic course (if you think this will harm your GPA, don't take it for credit, or take it after your BA is awarded). If your reading speed is an issue, work on reading and understanding dense passages similar to those that appear on the LSAT. None of this is meant to substitute for real LSAT prep, it is just to improve your abilities a little before you begin your year of real LSAT prep.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”