JD/MBA and Advantages of Applying as a 2L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jagpaw

JD/MBA and Advantages of Applying as a 2L?

Postby jagpaw » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Last edited by jagpaw on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarrySanders

Re: JD/MBA and Advantages of Applying as a 2L?

Postby BarrySanders » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:19 pm

I am doing a different JD/Masters, and I applied to my M.S. program in my 2L year. I think that applying during 2L has some advantages.

First, it allows you to take an extra year to decide if you really want to commit to the longer time and extra money for the second degree. In my case the money wasn't too big of deal (big scholly for law school, master's program way cheaper than law school), but for an MBA it will be like an extra year of law school tuition.

Second, while I don't think that as a JD/MBA candidate with only one year of law school you would be at a disadvantage for a SA position after your second year (because you will be competing primarily with rising 2Ls for these spots), doing two straight years of law school first can give you big time advantages over your rising 2L competition. What I mean, is that during your 2L year you can take classes with small section size, seminars, clinics, etc. to boost your GPA (usually these are not on the curve) and make your application more competitive. Similarly, during interviews you will be able to talk about two legal related internships rather than one as well as moot court / journal experiences. If you consider the fact that your competition for jobs will primarily be rising 2Ls, who are talking about what they hope to do and what classes they are planning on taking, you can really craft a 2L year that sets yourself apart. For example, while your OCI competitors are talking about their interests in an area such as tax, you can point to your awesome paper you wrote for a tax-related clinic and how much you enjoyed your tax class in your second year.

This plan has worked for me so far. I'm a current 3L at a T30. I improved my class standing about 20% during 2L, worked in industry during 2L summer, and landed a D.C. big law SA position for next summer in a practice area related to my M.S.

Good Luck.

jagpaw

Re: JD/MBA and Advantages of Applying as a 2L?

Postby jagpaw » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 pm

cool man thx, I appreciate the advice. definitely sounds like a solid strategy

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”