public interest/biglaw both experiences?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tekumamba

public interest/biglaw both experiences?

Postby tekumamba » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm

hey all i'm applying this cycle. I was just wondering if it's a possibility to try your hand at both PI and biglaw (if youre super lucky) and get summer work in both across the summers. how did you guys decide which you wanted to do long-term? is it possible to work in biglaw and switch to public interest work later, and vice versa, or is that career suicide?

thanks for any info!

BlaqBella

Re: public interest/biglaw both experiences?

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:39 pm

It is highly advised to first do BIGLAW then branch out seeing how most offers for BIGLAW are made straight out of law school.

There could be exceptions to this rule (ie lateral hires with years of experience in a niche field/expertise).

As for your summers, you can spend it however you like. One of my friend did a split between interning in PI for a month and the other month was spent in BIGLAW.

vanwinkle

Re: public interest/biglaw both experiences?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Regarding law school, you'll very likely do PI work your 1L summer, since there are virtually no 1L SA spots in BigLaw anymore, and the few that are out there are highly competitive.

This is good for your situation. It means it's fairly normal to do PI/gov't work your 1L summer and then go do BigLaw 2L summer. Plus there are opportunities for doing PI clinics for credit during your 2L and 3L years, and other pro bono opportunities while you're in law school. You can get enough work in both, if you really want.

As for permanent employment, what many people do is go to BigLaw for a few years and then lateral as an experienced attorney into a PI/gov't position.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”