Postdoc + evening law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jp973156

Postdoc + evening law school

Postby jp973156 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm starting a neuroscience postdoc at UPenn in January, and I am considering transitioning into patent law. I am applying for a fellowship with UPenn's center for technology transfer to make sure I enjoy working with patentable material in practice rather than just theory, but I'm optimistic about career prospects and the practice seems fascinating and challenging. That said, my tentative goal is to get into Temple's evening law program so that I can continue working in my field while I pursue my law degree. My advisor does not know about this option yet, although I do plan on disclosing this to him. If this plan fails, I'll likely apply to full-time day programs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the feasibility of evening law school while doing a postdoctoral fellowship? If you are not familiar with the postdoc work schedule, it can be slightly erratic at times; my only concern is that the job doesn't entail a predictable day-to-day work plan, which could make consistent work performance in law school difficult.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated here; and especially personal experience or stories similar to my own. Thank you!

nygrrrl

Re: Postdoc + evening law school

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 pm

First of all, WOW. Congrats on all of your options/etc.
Second of all, YAY for Tech Transfer! Only question there is, what kind of fellowship/how would that work with your postdoc commitments: what would the program entail (especially in terms of time commitments?)

I ask because I'm well aware of the postdoc scheduling (an immediate family member has BT,DT) and I'm in a PT law program while working FT... not sure how I'd balance those with a fellowship but more power to you. Currently taking a Tech Transfer class (legal side - research, licensing, writing agreements, etc) and think that's a huge, under-appreciated employment area for the future.

Best of luck!

jp973156

Postby jp973156 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 pm

nygrrrl wrote:First of all, WOW. Congrats on all of your options/etc.
Second of all, YAY for Tech Transfer! Only question there is, what kind of fellowship/how would that work with your postdoc commitments: what would the program entail (especially in terms of time commitments?)

The CTT fellowship is 6-8 hours a week. You basically get sent a project each week (which is something a professor in your area; e.g. for me life sciences) and have to search for prior art, and figure out if the product is patentable or marketable; it's basic discovery, I believe. The fellowship is designed for current grad students/postdocs, so the commitment isn't crazy. Adding law school on top of it... yeah that seems like it can get a bit wild.

I ask because I'm well aware of the postdoc scheduling (an immediate family member has BT,DT) and I'm in a PT law program while working FT... not sure how I'd balance those with a fellowship but more power to you. Currently taking a Tech Transfer class (legal side - research, licensing, writing agreements, etc) and think that's a huge, under-appreciated employment area for the future.

At most I'd have to do the fellowship for a semester (presuming I can get into law school next year. If I don't, then no biggie). The fellowship is all done remotely, which is nice (aside from occasional meetings, which are usually at night -- that could interfere).

What sort of strategies do you employ for time management? That sounds awesome that you are pulling off all of that at once - fantastic :)

Best of luck!

You too!

Agent

Postby Agent » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:45 am

I understand your situation. Shoot me a PM to chat. I probably won't look at this thread again.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”