Senior Year Grades and Financial Aid Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Chickensoup

Bronze

Senior Year Grades and Financial Aid

Post by Chickensoup » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 am

If you are a K-JD, do law schools see your senior year grades when considering your financial aid package or do they just see the LSDAS GPA you applied with when you got in?

I am wondering b/c I already got into my dream school and it would be nice to take it easy a little in my last semester (I'm graduating this December) without having to worry about how it would affect my financial aid package.

Credit to shntn for this thread idea.

P.S. I posted this here, since this is where most of the people who have been through the financial aid process are.

Platinum

Re: Senior Year Grades and Financial Aid

Post by 2014 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:08 pm

They only see what you give them, they can't like go to your UG and hijack your transcripts.

Financial aid packages are determined in the spring so if you haven't updated them with your grades by then, they will go with what they have.

Now eventually they will see your full transcript because they require it before matriculation, but no one has ever reported losing their seat or scholarship based on a final transcript.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 pm

2014 wrote:They only see what you give them, they can't like go to your UG and hijack your transcripts.

Financial aid packages are determined in the spring so if you haven't updated them with your grades by then, they will go with what they have.

Now eventually they will see your full transcript because they require it before matriculation, but no one has ever reported losing their seat or scholarship based on a final transcript.
I don't plan on sending them my fall grades. You don't think they'll ask before they make scholarship decisions?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
2014 wrote:They only see what you give them, they can't like go to your UG and hijack your transcripts.

I don't plan on sending them my fall grades. You don't think they'll ask before they make scholarship decisions?
No. They'll make a decision based on what they've received from you (transcript submitted to LSAC). If your GPA improves, you can then send them revised transcripts and try to negotiate a bigger scholly. If not, send your final transcript in the summer

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 pm

dingbat wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

No. They'll make a decision based on what they've received from you (transcript submitted to LSAC). If your GPA improves, you can then send them revised transcripts and try to negotiate a bigger scholly. If not, send your final transcript in the summer
Sweet. Not gonna sweat it over a few B's then haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 am

Chickensoup wrote:Sweet. Not gonna sweat it over a few B's then haha.
As a side note, I've heard that some employers care about your UG GPA, but this is purely hearsay right now

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:35 pm

dingbat wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:Sweet. Not gonna sweat it over a few B's then haha.
As a side note, I've heard that some employers care about your UG GPA, but this is purely hearsay right now
Which ones?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”