Migraines and law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AllDangle

Migraines and law school

Postby AllDangle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 pm

I will be a 1L at a T14 next fall. I suffer from debilitating migraines which occur once every 3-4 months likes clock work. I'm usually laid up in a dark room unable to do anything for 5 hours or so, and I also get very nauseous. I have medication which treats them once they hit, but every preventative I have tried has failed. In undergrad I gave a note from my doctor to my professors which said I suffer from occasional migraines and am unable to function when they occur. How should I approach law school with this? Should I talk to professors once the semester starts? My main concern is getting one on the day of an exam and not being allowed to make up the exam.

cranberry

Re: Migraines and law school

Postby cranberry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm

if you have documentation of your condition from a doctor you should be fine. maybe give a heads up to the dean of students at the beginning of the year... i wouldn't notify professors until you actually started having problems. my school at least is pretty flexible with medical stuff.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 pm

I am a 2L with the same problem, and it hasn't been an issue with school so far. Some professors will want you to email them in advance if you are not coming to class, but I have yet to encounter a professor who was not completely understanding. They all understand that people get sick, and it's probably not worth bothering them about it unless it becomes a problem where you are missing a lot of class.

Luckily for me, it hasn't come up during exams (yet). I would suggest giving student services or the dean of students a heads-up, because this is something that might look like just an excuse if you tell them last-minute. As long as you have a note, you should be able to make up the exam. However, they will probably require you to call in on the day of the test if you get sick, and might want a note from your doctor for that specific date as opposed to a blanket note (they usually want professional documentation of the particular incident, not something you could use as a get-out-of-jail-free card). Worst case, you might have to have someone drive you to the school's health center so they can document it. This sort of thing is generally covered in some sort of written policy - check the school's website for academic rules, exam procedures, etc.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 am

It may vary from school to school, but I know someone people who've missed exams before and were able to make it up. Just have to prove that you were legitimately sick by going to the doctor and having something to turn in to the registrar to justify a makeup.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 am

Talk to whoever handles disabilities at your school and they will talk to your professors. It should be a painless process. They can tell you what happens if they hit at exam time. Are they aggravated by stress?

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 am

dextermorgan wrote:Talk to whoever handles disabilities at your school and they will talk to your professors. It should be a painless process. They can tell you what happens if they hit at exam time. Are they aggravated by stress?

So far I have not been able to nail down a trigger. I am sure it isn't stress though seeing as I get them like clockwork every 3-4 months.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 am

AllDangle wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Talk to whoever handles disabilities at your school and they will talk to your professors. It should be a painless process. They can tell you what happens if they hit at exam time. Are they aggravated by stress?

So far I have not been able to nail down a trigger. I am sure it isn't stress though seeing as I get them like clockwork every 3-4 months.

Well at least that part is good, but yeah the person who handles disabilities would be the one to talk to. I would go ahead and call them (assuming you are an admitted student) to discuss the issue.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:09 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
AllDangle wrote:

Well at least that part is good, but yeah the person who handles disabilities would be the one to talk to. I would go ahead and call them (assuming you are an admitted student) to discuss the issue.

I was planning on holding off until talking with them until ASW or when I move there two weeks prior to the semester starting.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 pm

AllDangle wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
AllDangle wrote:

I was planning on holding off until talking with them until ASW or when I move there two weeks prior to the semester starting.

Are you ED? They won't (can't) rescind your acceptance. Personally I would want to know upfront.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”