Thomas Jefferson School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDO

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law

Postby JDO » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 am

How about the downtown area- East Village? I drove around, and read about it online- an area that used to be real bad until the city intervened. What is your take on it?

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:42 pm

You mean the area where Petco Park is at, right? Now it's a great place to go for school or entertainment. I would not live there though.

JDO

Postby JDO » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm

shepdawg wrote:You mean the area where Petco Park is at, right? Now it's a great place to go for school or entertainment. I would not live there though.

Yea TJ School of Law is building a new facility there and securing housing there as well. I am most likely going to attend TJ and I would (or think I would) enjoy living downtown near the law school.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:36 pm

I think living near the new campus would be great, but it will be kind of expensive, I would think. Any of you who don't live here yet, I would look into how the move is going to go. There are lots of places that would be prime for the current campus that might become a bit of a hassle for the new one. Most leases are a year here. They aren't far apart, just if they secure housing near the new building I would find out if they are starting that soon. I can't imagine the move being done by Jan. any way though. I just goat all my info today and I am still thinking about going.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:41 pm

TJ is down on 12th isn't it? i would live down there. rent won't be too bad and you still get the downtown lifestyle.

koehn2

Postby koehn2 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Birdman wrote:In with a half tuition scholarship. I plan on being a prosecutor in California so I think the school would be a good fit for me. Anyone else thinking of attending or know of any good apartments in San Diego?

I got half tuition too! I am visiting in a week, and then I can better assess if it would be a good school for me or not. The faculty seems legit, but I am nervous about their bar passage rates. I will have to ask about that while I am there! Hopefully they will clear that up or at least present some steps to fix it.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:45 pm

koehn2 wrote:
Birdman wrote:In with a half tuition scholarship. I plan on being a prosecutor in California so I think the school would be a good fit for me. Anyone else thinking of attending or know of any good apartments in San Diego?

I got half tuition too! I am visiting in a week, and then I can better assess if it would be a good school for me or not. The faculty seems legit, but I am nervous about their bar passage rates. I will have to ask about that while I am there! Hopefully they will clear that up or at least present some steps to fix it.

Let us know what you think and find out.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:45 pm

koehn2 wrote:

The school seemed shady when I was there. However, the students seemed pretty nice. They didn't really care about class, and they weren't afraid to have no answer when they were called upon in class. Most of the students did not prepare for the class I sat in. It would be easy to get top 1% there.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 pm

shepdawg wrote:
koehn2 wrote:

The school seemed shady when I was there. However, the students seemed pretty nice. They didn't really care about class, and they weren't afraid to have no answer when they were called upon in class. Most of the students did not prepare for the class I sat in. It would be easy to get top 1% there.

class prep / participation =/= how easy it is to get good grades.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:35 am

I've been researching the school's grading policies and curve and I was able to find the info in their student handbook. It looks like they recently adjusted their grading curve so its not as harsh as it was. The curve is, for anyone interested,

First-year classes (approximate mean: 2.7)
A+ 4.2-4.3 - 4%
A 3.9-4.1 - 8%
A- 3.6-3.8 - 8%
B+ 3.2-3.5 - 8%
B 2.9-3.1 - 12%
B- 2.6-2.8 - 20%
C+ 2.2-2.5 - 12%
C 1.9-2.1 - 8%
C- 1.5-1.8 - 12%
D+ and below 1.4 & below - 8%

Upper-level classes (approximate mean: 3.0)
A+ 4.2-4.3 – 4%
A 3.9-4.1 – 12%
A- 3.6-3.8 – 8%
B+ 3.2-3.5 – 12%
B 2.9-3.1 – 12%
B- 2.6-2.8 – 24%
C+ 2.2-2.5 – 20%
C and below 2.1 and below – 8%

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:50 am

I don't intend to be mean, but I would caution people from attending Thomas Jefferson without a scholarship. I personally know a 2008 grad who has been job searching for over a year and a half. This situation isn't uncommon amongst some of his friends either. He was around median, but with probably less than average interview skills. This is just a warning centered around practicality, not the elitism that can pervade this site.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:48 pm

JOThompson wrote:I don't intend to be mean, but I would caution people from attending Thomas Jefferson without a scholarship. I personally know a 2008 grad who has been job searching for over a year and a half. This situation isn't uncommon amongst some of his friends either. He was around median, but with probably less than average interview skills. This is just a warning centered around practicality, not the elitism that can pervade this site.

That being said, a lot of median grade, below-average interview skills, graduates are likely in similar positions at most schools outside of the top 20-30 schools, right?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”