Would I suck at law school if I'm not good at RC? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
roranoa

Silver

Would I suck at law school if I'm not good at RC?

Post by roranoa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38 pm

This question is somewhat related to the "lsat score:law school grades" issue.

I'm worried that I might fall back at my studies at law school (if I get into one that is) due to my sub par RC ability.

What do you guys think? (My lsat score is 165-168 range. Taken twice)

cinephile

Gold

Re: Would I suck at law school if I'm not good at RC?

Post by cinephile » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 am

If you're missing for being a slow reader, law school will be unpleasant. There's a lot to read and if you're spending more time than the average person reading, you'll be more exhausted and burnt out. Or maybe you'll be clever and just skip reading and find a good outline to use in class.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

Wormfather wrote:
roranoa wrote:This question is somewhat related to the "lsat score:law school grades" issue.

I'm worried that I might fall back at my studies at law school (if I get into one that is) due to my sub par RC ability.

Unless every question you got wrong was from RC. I think you will be fine.

Also depends on the following: Are you a slow reader or are you getting tripped up on the questions?

Disclaimer: 0L Advice
I'm a relatively slow reader. My heart races (literally) when I force myself to read faster.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 am

roranoa wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
roranoa wrote:This question is somewhat related to the "lsat score:law school grades" issue.

Unless every question you got wrong was from RC. I think you will be fine.

Also depends on the following: Are you a slow reader or are you getting tripped up on the questions?

Disclaimer: 0L Advice
I'm a relatively slow reader. My heart races (literally) when I force myself to read faster.
The RC portion of the LSAT seemed harder than most of the readings in LS.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 am

-1 LG, -2 LR, -9 RC checking in. I'll let you know when I get my grades in February.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 am

InGoodFaith wrote:-1 LG, -2 LR, -9 RC checking in. I'll let you know when I get my grades in February.
Well, how is it during your semester? Is the reading terribly hard? Or hard enough to burn you out? How do you feel about your semester so far?

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:44 am

Was really good at games and LR, and lost all my points on RC (or almost all). Couldn't get better at it no matter how much I practiced. I'm at the top of my class now, although, in fairness, I rarely did any readings all year. If you can decipher the rule from Wikipedia and the lectures, there's not a huge reason to read.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 am

There are work-arounds for any "shortcoming" that may be out there. As you see above, where there is a will there is a way.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:05 am

roranoa wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:-1 LG, -2 LR, -9 RC checking in. I'll let you know when I get my grades in February.
Well, how is it during your semester? Is the reading terribly hard? Or hard enough to burn you out? How do you feel about your semester so far?
It was a struggle at first because I was reading the entirety of the cases and every subsequent note. Now that we're further along in the semester, however, I know how to skim a case and pull out the couple of relevant things that my professor wants to hear. Not sure about others, but my professors also tend to go over notes that they believe are important, so no use worrying about that before class. I've cut down the reading load a ton this way and its been really helpful for me. The exams aren't a lot of reading though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am

Similar boat to Ingoodfaith and I haven't found the reading to be difficult. I actually focus on this shit 100% better than I did on the horrid liberal arts stuff from under grad.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 am

I did horribly in PT on RC and am actually a faster reader, and it hurt me my first few weeks in school. I slowed down, and took time to process it, and now I find it easy. I can read over a non-civ pro case once and get it instantly, but still be able to read 15+ pages an hour. You just have to train yourself to know what to look for (and for me to book brief too)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

You only have to do reading during your first year, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:56 am

Wormfather wrote:There was another thread recently where some students said that slow reading only adds a few hours to your study time each week. Someone went as far as saying that being a slower at typing is worse than being a slow reader.
fml :(

ETA: Can you link me to this thread, worm?

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:04 pm

You're doing fairly well on the LSAT as a whole, so you should be ok. You do get better at reading in law school do to the fact that you are forced to do so much of it. I"m not sure what else to say.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”