University of Tennessee Law Student taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
inlawschool123

University of Tennessee Law Student taking Questions

Postby inlawschool123 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 am

If anyone has questions about anything regarding UT feel free to post.

rad lulz

Re: University of Tennessee Law Student taking Questions

Postby rad lulz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Should the Vols fire Derek Dooley?

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:Should the Vols fire Derek Dooley?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm

What are employment numbers looking like, particularly in Knoxville and Chattanooga? I'm really interested in UTK, since I've lived in Tennessee in the past and would like to return.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:Should the Vols fire Derek Dooley?

dammit scooped.

inlawschool123

Postby inlawschool123 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 am

Employment numbers are pretty decent from what I have seen. If you are looking to remain in Tennessee and are from here, the school is an EXCELLENT value. You will get a great legal education and deal with very welcoming and helpful professors. If you are not from the state, there does seem to be a bit of an in state bias. A lot of "why knoxville" or "why Chattanooga" followed by rejections if you are not from or have STRONG ties to the area. From what I have seen though, the students who are doing well seem to be finding work and everyone I know really enjoys studying at UT.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:25 am

Who is the real UT? Texas or Tennessee

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am

inlawschool123 wrote:Employment numbers are pretty decent from what I have seen. If you are looking to remain in Tennessee and are from here, the school is an EXCELLENT value. You will get a great legal education and deal with very welcoming and helpful professors. If you are not from the state, there does seem to be a bit of an in state bias. A lot of "why knoxville" or "why Chattanooga" followed by rejections if you are not from or have STRONG ties to the area. From what I have seen though, the students who are doing well seem to be finding work and everyone I know really enjoys studying at UT.

Good to hear...like I said, I'm not in-state as of now (in Ohio) but would like to go back. I wouldn't have any problem selling the reasons that I want to stay there.

Stupe

Postby Stupe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm

-Are UT grads getting big jerbs in Nashville or does Vandy have it on lock? Where do most grads get jobs?

-You don't have to answer this, but what were your stats and did you get any scholarship? I've heard that out-of-staters are actually getting more $$$ than in-staters.

-Is your class diverse or is it all good ol' southern boys?

-Will Gruden be the next coach?

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 pm

dr123 wrote:Who is the real UT? Texas or Tennessee

Texas all the way. Texas has the better football program and is a much better university, academically. Therefore, Texas is the real UT. Hook 'em!

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Not at UT-K but I do have friends/family who attended fairly recently. From what I know, evaluation of UT-K employment outcomes really just depend on what you consider an acceptable outcome. Given the low-cost of the school there are a range of outcomes that aren't necessarily insane. If you think a 30-40% shot at a firm job making greater than $45k is an acceptable outcome or if you are planning on hanging a shingle immediately after law school, then UT-K is a decent choice. If you are hoping to start off with six-figures then it definitely isn't the right place.

inlawschool123

Postby inlawschool123 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:35 pm

From what I have seen, the people near the top of the class have landed six figure jobs in Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte and Atlanta. The majority of others who are finding jobs will most likely start around 70 in private practice and I am not too familiar with the public sector. I disagree with the above poster in regard to needing to "hang a shingle" to find a job from UT. The only slight bias I have seen is that in staters have an advantage in regard to job searching in Tennessee. Firms seem to be worried people leaving so are reluctant to hire people who are not from or have strong ties to the city where their office is.

anitadonielle

Postby anitadonielle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 pm

How is the atmosphere on campus and between the students? Do people who are not from Knoxville have a hard time fitting in and enjoying Knoxville or is it a breeze?

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:

Texas all the way. Texas has the better football program and is a much better university, academically. Therefore, Texas is the real UT. Hook 'em!

The University of Tennessee was founded in 1794. The University of Texas was founded in 1883. It's a no-brainer, really.

inlawschool123

Postby inlawschool123 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Anita,

I think it is very easy for out of staters to enjoy Knoxville and fit in. The people at the school (students and staff) are VERY friendly and accomodating. People are for the most part helpful of one another and I would say the school is as non competitive as law school can be. (of course with a forced curve there is always some competition.) The only real disadvantage to out of staters is the job search within the state. It is not impossible to find work in the state but without ties you may be forced into looking elsewhere either big cities or where you are from. With that being said, from my experience, you will receive an excellent legal education for an affordable price if attending UT. (also the weather in the fall and spring is BEAUTIFUL!)

anitadonielle

Postby anitadonielle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

inlawschool123 wrote:Anita,

I think it is very easy for out of staters to enjoy Knoxville and fit in. The people at the school (students and staff) are VERY friendly and accomodating. People are for the most part helpful of one another and I would say the school is as non competitive as law school can be. (of course with a forced curve there is always some competition.) The only real disadvantage to out of staters is the job search within the state. It is not impossible to find work in the state but without ties you may be forced into looking elsewhere either big cities or where you are from. With that being said, from my experience, you will receive an excellent legal education for an affordable price if attending UT. (also the weather in the fall and spring is BEAUTIFUL!)

Thanks for answering! I'm excited to go there. Which places are the best to stay at? I know it is early to think about that but I want a plan ahead of time lol

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 pm

inlawschool123 wrote:From what I have seen, the people near the top of the class have landed six figure jobs in Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte and Atlanta. The majority of others who are finding jobs will most likely start around 70 in private practice and I am not too familiar with the public sector. I disagree with the above poster in regard to needing to "hang a shingle" to find a job from UT. The only slight bias I have seen is that in staters have an advantage in regard to job searching in Tennessee. Firms seem to be worried people leaving so are reluctant to hire people who are not from or have strong ties to the city where their office is.

This seems a little optimistic?

On LST, only 13% of the class is confirmed to be making more than $65k

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... &show=sals

inlawschool123

Postby inlawschool123 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:28 am

Although I cannot verify and am only speaking from observations, even your numbers show that the mean salary is 66k. (I am and was only refering to the private sector). But that does not mean I am right or that this is official. Just trying to give some guidance.

wearefoxsports

Postby wearefoxsports » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:47 am

How is the social life down there for law students? Are decent amount of your classmates going out and doing things together?

Also, if I were to go to UT, I would be looking forward to taking advantage of its large alumni network in the state of Tennessee. How much interactions do you have with the alumni? One person I know is practicing law in TN and only went to UT as an undergrad (not law school). He told me even he could get hold of the alumni directory, go to the alumni banquets, and build connections with UT law alumni there. Is it even possible?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:44 am

inlawschool123 wrote:Although I cannot verify and am only speaking from observations, even your numbers show that the mean salary is 66k. (I am and was only refering to the private sector). But that does not mean I am right or that this is official. Just trying to give some guidance.

No, the numbers say the median of the 51% of students who provided a salary is $52,000. Realistically we can basically treat $52,000 as the 75th percentile or, at best, maybe the 65th percentile since the people who don't respond to salary surveys are disproportionately the ones making little or no money.

$70,000/year jobs are hard to come by from most law schools, especially because of the bimodal salary distribution for entry-level legal jobs - basically you're likely to make either around $40,000 or more than $100,000 (or, for many, many recent graduates, $0).

I am not trying to attack UT-K. For someone from TN who wants to stay there, it could be a good choice since it is fairly cheap although I would caution against paying full price. It can still entail major risk as the LST link posted above shows. I just want to make sure people have the correct info when making the very serious decision of whether and where to go to law school, and a $70,000/year job in the private sector is not a realistic assumption out of UT-K.

Beastinthecourtroom

Postby Beastinthecourtroom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:12 pm

kapachino wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:

The University of Tennessee was founded in 1794. The University of Texas was founded in 1883. It's a no-brainer, really.

inlawschool123

Postby inlawschool123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Like I said before, I am in no way giving specific numbers that are official all of this is coming from observation and talking to people. There are many people that are starting around 70k in the private sector but most are in the upper portion of the class (top third). And it is important to remember that in the tough economy, many people are certainly taking jobs that pay less. Before commiting to a school if this is something you are worried about certainly talk to the career centers for specific information or find truly reliable sources, I am just speaking from what I am observing.

As to the alumni base, there are many opportunites at UT to meet with alumni. They remain very involved in the organizations here (everything from meeting with students to judging the competitions held at the law school.) In my experience, most alum are very open to talking with students about career advice and are always willing to talk about anything law related with current students.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:05 am

Beastinthecourtroom wrote:
kapachino wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:

That's funny, because if you asked people in the northeast, midwest, or west coast what school is being referred to when you say UT Law, or even just UT, I suspect most if not all the people would say Texas.

Princeton's football team had the famous winged helmet before Michigan did. They still have it now. According to your logic, the winged helmet belongs to Princeton football more so than it belongs to Michigan football. And that is just silly. Never mind that everyone associates the winged helmet with Michigan football more so than Princeton football.

Prestige of a school or program > date of origin

Therefore UT=Texas

My entire post is made in jest, sort of.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Have you taken any classes with professor Ted Brown yet? If not, you need too. I had him for undergrad and he's the best professor I've had at the university. UT is on my list, but more of a safety since I really do not want to live here my whole life.

sienna.ann

Postby sienna.ann » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm coming from out of state and was wondering where most law students live? Any specific apartment complexes I should look up? Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”