How will this disability affect me in law school/job? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PhilEconCS

New

How will this disability affect me in law school/job?

Post by PhilEconCS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Due to having extremely sensitive eyes, I use a laptop with a Kindle-like screen (no backlight and the display is in black and white). I can't use a computer with a regular screen for very long so I rely on my "special laptop" (lol) for everything. I've been able to get through college like this with few problems. I'm planning on applying to law school and understanding that law school and the legal profession are reading and word-processing intensive, I'd like some perspective on if this would present any significant problems. For example, are law firms accommodating if I request that I have to use my specific kind of laptop? Are there any exams that lawyers will have to take that are computer-based?

Thanks!

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: How will this disability affect me in law school/job?

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 pm

PhilEconCS wrote:Due to having extremely sensitive eyes, I use a laptop with a Kindle-like screen (no backlight and the display is in black and white). I can't use a computer with a regular screen for very long so I rely on my "special laptop" (lol) for everything. I've been able to get through college like this with few problems. I'm planning on applying to law school and understanding that law school and the legal profession are reading and word-processing intensive, I'd like some perspective on if this would present any significant problems. For example, are law firms accommodating if I request that I have to use my specific kind of laptop? Are there any exams that lawyers will have to take that are computer-based?

Thanks!
If the only difference with your computer is that it has a special screen I doubt it would be a problem for law school. I am sure most schools could easily make any accommodations. I can't speak for employers but if your laptop can run your normal run of the mill programs I doubt it would be an issue.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes you will have to take exams on a computer. No, there will not be a problem.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't see it affecting you at all so long as your laptop is good at translating websites, etc. For example, we use a website to distribute resources, etc and like most modern websites its got dynamic labels, etc. Do you have any problems reading for extremely long periods?

For work, I think its something that could be accommodated but how does it deal with scans of stuff (non-text searchable), etc? I could see that being a problem as people email stuff around all the time, including clients.

Technically, you can handwrite almost any law school's exams and the bar. No one does though.

PhilEconCS

New

Post by PhilEconCS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 pm

Yup, it's just a regular laptop with a special screen. It can basically do everything a regular laptop can and run all the same programs (definitely can open files and go on websites). I don't have problems with reading for long periods of time, it's only the glow from the screen that regular comps have that has that weird effect on me.

Alright, I guess I was just being overly worrisome! Thanks for the reassurance and it looks like the only real consequence of this is that my hand might be very sore from writing. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PhilEconCS

New

Post by PhilEconCS » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:41 am

One more thing - could someone elaborate on the kind of exam taken that was computer based? For example, the setup (did you have to go to a testing center/computer lab) and how long the exam was?

edit: just looked on the websites of a few state bar examinations and it looks like they let you use your own laptop... this is turning out better than I expected!

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 am

Tom Joad wrote: I can't speak for employers but if your laptop can run your normal run of the mill programs I doubt it would be an issue.
You can speak for employers, it's called the Americans with Disabilities Act.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 pm

PhilEconCS wrote:One more thing - could someone elaborate on the kind of exam taken that was computer based? For example, the setup (did you have to go to a testing center/computer lab) and how long the exam was?

edit: just looked on the websites of a few state bar examinations and it looks like they let you use your own laptop... this is turning out better than I expected!
as you probably know, law school exams work the same way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”