Tort midterm, issue spotting

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Tort midterm, issue spotting

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:48 pm

had an ungraded torts midterm this week. wrote 6 pages in 1 hour. there were four main claims to identify, and I found them. There were considerations to evaluate for each claim (obviously) and I got most of them. I spotted all the possible issues in the hypo, except one which is not a crucial one. The prof. gave us a model answer, which was like 20 pages long. He said there is no way to produce this under the time given, but this addresses everything possible. Since the the final is 100% of grade (this is ungraded) I'm trying to figure out how I did on the midterm. Obviously I already see ways I could improve (create subheadings).

so on torts issue spotting, what % of class would you estimate hits all the main claims for a hypo, has proper law application, and gives some of the factors to consider in applying but not all?

Gorki

Re: Tort midterm, issue spotting

Postby Gorki » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:had an ungraded torts midterm this week. wrote 6 pages in 1 hour. there were four main claims to identify, and I found them. There were considerations to evaluate for each claim (obviously) and I got most of them. I spotted all the possible issues in the hypo, except one which is not a crucial one. The prof. gave us a model answer, which was like 20 pages long. He said there is no way to produce this under the time given, but this addresses everything possible. Since the the final is 100% of grade (this is ungraded) I'm trying to figure out how I did on the midterm. Obviously I already see ways I could improve (create subheadings).

so on torts issue spotting, what % of class would you estimate hits all the main claims for a hypo, has proper law application, and gives some of the factors to consider in applying but not all?

In my class:

Below median: Varies a lot, goes from spending the entire exam talking about one claim, to doing a subpar job talking about all claims
Median range: Generally hit every major claim, gave brief precise black letter applications to a few of the more subtle claims, and gave roughly the level of depth that most of the class gave overall.
Above median: Discussed ever major claim, hit some of the more subtle claims, but focused on doing a knock-out job on laying out the rules and exceptions for the major claims
"A": Thoroughly discussed the major claims, hitting most of the nuances, while having time to present a more sophisticated discussion of some of the minor issues.

Keep in mind, even the "As" were at about 60-70% of the total points possible on the exam, so keep that in mind. They were not literally cleaning house on the scoreboard.

bbmic45

Re: Tort midterm, issue spotting

Postby bbmic45 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Sounds about right - I've talked to a few professors after class and they seem to say that what distinguishes the A papers from the rest of papers is not the issue-spotting or recitation of BLL, but the proficiency with which they weave the facts in the fact pattern to the law. Then, of course it seems like other professors do the whole throw the papers down the stairs to see which goes furthest method of grading.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”