Now to end of semester: game plan?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Now to end of semester: game plan?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 pm

I've done readings for Monday and Tuesday of next week. I have outlines for all classes, and two are up to date two are a week behind. I'm trying to figure out how to budget time now until exams. Any thoughts? Flash cards? Practice qs in supplements? Careful briefing of classes? I am staying in town thanksgiving to work and will only have four days between end of semester and first final.

handsonthewheel

Re: Now to end of semester: game plan?

Postby handsonthewheel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Do your reading generally on time. Procrastinate doing anything more. Find an old outline and cram 3 days before the exam.

It's tried and true. Deviate at your own peril.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:Do your reading generally on time. Procrastinate doing anything more. Find an old outline and cram 3 days before the exam.

This can not be serious. I am a 1L, but I have only heard contrary suggestions.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:17 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
handsonthewheel wrote:Do your reading generally on time. Procrastinate doing anything more. Find an old outline and cram 3 days before the exam.

This can not be serious. I am a 1L, but I have only heard contrary suggestions.

3L here and it's worked for me. Admittedly, doesn't work for all or maybe even most.

My best advice is to get a hold of old exams with answers. Make sure to get as many of your professor's exams/answers as possible. Other professors are ok, but use those more roughly to figure out basic analysis. Save the most recent exams from your professor for the day(s) before your final.

Once you see how an exam answer generally analyzes issues, you should have an idea of what you'll need to cover in your own studying to be able to sit down and spot and analyze the issues. That is how you figure out your study plan.

Also, unless you know your learning style requires it, don't feel compelled to start an outline from scratch. So long as it's within the ethical guidelines, you can utilize past outlines (again, ideally from your professor) as a basis for your outline.

For anything you get that is not from your professor or his prior classes, i.e. outlines, make sure to compare that with the syllabus and list of cases you actually went over.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”