OCI, getting SA jobs, etc.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tushbush

OCI, getting SA jobs, etc.

Postby Tushbush » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:02 pm

I was wondering if law schools do a good job explaining what all we need to do to help ourselves secure work during summers and after law school. I have browsed many threads on oci and the like, but am still very confused. I am just concerned because if law school advisors or staff are anything like undergrad, they won't be helpful or informative at all.

lawhopeful10

Re: OCI, getting SA jobs, etc.

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 pm

also interested in responses to this question. Additionally do all Top 50 schools participate in OCI with firms or is it restricted to top 20 or so.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Tushbush wrote:I was wondering if law schools do a good job explaining what all we need to do to help ourselves secure work during summers and after law school. I have browsed many threads on oci and the like, but am still very confused. I am just concerned because if law school advisors or staff are anything like undergrad, they won't be helpful or informative at all.

They're not really helpful. You can get all the information you really need on TLS.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 pm

They are pretty good at explaining how to do OCI. If that fails, your pretty much on your own. (TLS helps)

dukeblue

Postby dukeblue » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Tushbush wrote:I was wondering if law schools do a good job explaining what all we need to do to help ourselves secure work during summers and after law school. I have browsed many threads on oci and the like, but am still very confused. I am just concerned because if law school advisors or staff are anything like undergrad, they won't be helpful or informative at all.

This mostly depends on the school and searching out who in career services actually knows what they're talking about. My career services has about a 60/40 mix of knowledgeable and helpful people to clueless ones, and I'm pretty sure following the helpful counselor's(s') advice helped. (Caveat--if you're the average t14 law student without any special circumstances, TLS is surely good enough.)

rouser

Postby rouser » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 pm

you gain a lot by asking yourself whether a job working in the career services office is attractive.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 am

dukeblue wrote:

This mostly depends on the school and searching out who in career services actually knows what they're talking about. My career services has about a 60/40 mix of knowledgeable and helpful people to clueless ones, and I'm pretty sure following the helpful counselor's(s') advice helped. (Caveat--if you're the average t14 law student without any special circumstances, TLS is surely good enough.)

TITCR. If you want help from OCS, be proactive in choosing your counselor (your school may assign you one, but you should be able to switch), ask questions, and use TLS to learn what questions to ask.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 am

You have 121 LSAT, 2.0 GPA and you minored in Pottery. Cute.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”