Educational background and transactional law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AllDangle

Educational background and transactional law

Postby AllDangle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

I majored in CJ during college. However, my interests in law fall into transactional practice. I have been reading as much as I can about securities, financial markets, etc., which is genuinely interesting to me. However, would the CJ degree make this a hard sell since I won't have the option to take transactional related classes prior to 2L OCI? Or will grades/school trump that? I imagine a firm would train and teach someone the ropes for whatever practice group they are in, but will someone interviewing me look down on the fact I don't have a finance/business background?

de5igual

Re: Educational background and transactional law

Postby de5igual » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:01 am

the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 am

f0bolous wrote:the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.

Thanks for the input. Displaying a legitimate interest during interviews should be enough then (obviously grades also)?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm

AllDangle wrote:
f0bolous wrote:the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.

Thanks for the input. Displaying a legitimate interest during interviews should be enough then (obviously grades also)?

Yes, but grades matter far more than interest.

dukeblue

Postby dukeblue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 am

f0bolous wrote:
AllDangle wrote:

Yes, but grades matter far more than interest.

TITCR.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”