What determines a firm's prestige?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RickyDnwhyc

What determines a firm's prestige?

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am

Is it just Vault rankings? NLJ250? Chambers? These are just surveys of associates aren't they?

I know certain firms would be considered more prestigious in certain markets and areas of the law such as litigation. But is there a credited way to determine a firms "overall" prestige?

How do you determine which names are the most prestigious, and does this necessarily mean they provide the most vast/diverse range of exit options?
Last edited by RickyDnwhyc on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Re: What determines a firm's prestige?

Postby sparty99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 am

Are you a 0L? Who cares.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:20 am

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

Sigh.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am

Bonuses and PPP

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 am

PMan99 wrote:Bonuses and PPP

So... Wachtell then >.<

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:45 am

RickyDnwhyc wrote:Is it just Vault rankings? NLJ250? Chambers? These are just surveys of associates aren't they?

I know certain firms would be considered more prestigious in certain markets and areas of the law such as litigation. But is there a credited way to determine a firms "overall" prestige?

Gosh, if only USNWR would develop a set of metrics and definitive list for you, so you could know exactly who you're better than and who is better than you.

How do you determine which names are the most prestigious, and does this necessarily mean they provide the most vast/diverse range of exit options?

Exit options are not as mechanical as that.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am

Seamless limits.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

IAFG wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:Is it just Vault rankings? NLJ250? Chambers? These are just surveys of associates aren't they?

Gosh, if only USNWR would develop a set of metrics and definitive list for you, so you could know exactly who you're better than and who is better than you.

Haha I guess I set myself up for that one.

I just have this hypothetical situation in my head, where you're deciding between two firms, all other things being equal (such as salary, fit, location, etc), how would you go about deciding which firm name will take you farther? PPP seems to make sense as a criterion.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:

I just have this hypothetical situation in my head, where you're deciding between two firms, all other things being equal (such as salary, fit, location, etc), how would you go about deciding which firm name will take you farther? PPP seems to make sense as a criterion.

Well sure, it makes sense... if you're a partner. What do you want as an associate? Good reputation, sure, but for some reason law students seem to think there should be a rigid ordinal list of reputation, and have such a hard time accepting that lots of firms are one another's peers. Good training and for the firm to invest in you. Not sweat-shoppy. A personality fit. Bonuses.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Practice group strength

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm

PMan99 wrote:
RickyDnwhyc wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Practice group strength

I agree. Every firms has a list of the 40 practice groups they "specialize" in, but if you're a government contracts lawyer, being at a firm everyone thinks of for its government contracts practice matters a lot more than its Vault ranking.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Practice group strength

I agree. Every firms has a list of the 40 practice groups they "specialize" in, but if you're a government contracts lawyer, being at a firm everyone thinks of for its government contracts practice matters a lot more than its Vault ranking

I was going to say that I meant to include that in "all things being equal", but this hypothetical is slowing becoming too unlikely to even merit consideration.
Last edited by RickyDnwhyc on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 pm

OP: Read the forum rules before posting. The Legal Employment forum is not for 0Ls. This thread has been moved.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Sorry 'bout that, thanks for the move

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 am

Vault
LS hall chatter
ATL
(Not srs)
(Semi srs)
(100% srs for >1/2 T14ers i bet)

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:55 am

^ Makes sense, but what is ATL?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 am

RickyDnwhyc wrote:^ Makes sense, but what is ATL?

Do you even law?

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:59 am

:roll: I didn't think it held so much influence.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”