What to do with year off? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
senhorquick

New

What to do with year off?

Post by senhorquick » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am

So, I am taking a year off before I go to law school, but I don't really know what to do with just one year and wanted to see if anyone else on TLS has suggestions for what to do with a law school "gap year"?

I know many will say take two years off--for WE--but I really don't need to because I am fulltime employed and only a part time student right now. So, what can one do with just a year?

Swimp

Bronze

Re: What to do with year off?

Post by Swimp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am

senhorquick wrote:So, I am taking a year off before I go to law school, but I don't really know what to do with just one year and wanted to see if anyone else on TLS has suggestions for what to do with a law school "gap year"?

I know many will say take two years off--for WE--but I really don't need to because I am fulltime employed and only a part time student right now. So, what can one do with just a year?
Keep working. Learn a new language.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 am

Pick up a 2nd job like bartending. SAVE $$$

conc ashout

New

Post by conc ashout » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 am

Go travel. Its easy and cheap and there is nothing better to do before you are tied down with job, car and house payments, spouse, and kids.

senhorquick

New

Post by senhorquick » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

Point of clarification: I work for my school so when I graduate, I'm out of here. Any programs out there that people recommend? I looked into Americorps' City Year but it seems like a cult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 am

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:50 pm

hey! i also worked for my school so needed a new job for one year. i chose AmeriCorps because their positions last for one year and so it's understood from the beginning that they don't expect a big commitment and you won't hurt the organization by leaving. if you sign up through their website, there are a pretty broad range of positions to apply to and it's pretty easy to find something you're really interested in (they have positions teaching, doing environmental work, doing finance for nonprofits, etc).
even though i had only just joined AmeriCorps at the beginning of the application cycle and didn't mention it past my resume, several of my acceptance letters had notes about AmeriCorps on them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”