Planning for a Part-Time (Evening Program) ,pls suggest Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eng_law

New

Planning for a Part-Time (Evening Program) ,pls suggest

Post by eng_law » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi All,
I need your valuable suggestions and help me in decision making.
My back ground: I graduated in Mechanical engineering in a tier 1 (top 10) university in 2001 from my home country. But I have been working in software industry since 2001 till date.I worked with companies like siemens and microsoft. After staying in US for last 6 years ,am a permanent resident now. I have a fascination for law and wanted to go for it. I currently work in healthcare IT (pays decent 110k and with stock options).Wife is a physician.I do not intend to leave my full-time job.I want to pursue part-time(4years).Interested in Healthcare law(can cover wife profession),criminal law,financial mergers and IP law.
1.Is it worth now to pursue law (am in early 30's ,targeting for July 2013)?
Manager(s) and colleagues consider me having excellent analytical , diagnostics skills ,programming skills and leadership qualities. I am confident with effort ,I use better these skills in my law school and profession. But professional success is law depends on many other factors.Anyone having such expeience, pls guide me.
2.With software background for over a decade, is IP best suited, or having hardware electrical/electronics knowledge needed?
3.How dangerous being in criminal law? Someone like me whose profession is 'Soft' ware :), can handle a different world like criminal law?
4.I am planning for UConn as it has part-time program and reasonable fee (for instate) is worth proper prospects latter.
Please share your career transition experience.Betterand best suggestions are always welcome.

aca0260

Bronze

Re: Planning for a Part-Time (Evening Program) ,pls suggest

Post by aca0260 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 pm

About 5% of the class at UConn will make the salary that you currently make upon graduation. In fact, less than half of the students found full-time, long-term legal work (--LinkRemoved--).

eng_law

New

Post by eng_law » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks aca0260. Being instate UConn is the nearest option for me. But I will keep my choice of law school open.The latest 2012 part-time rankings placed UConn at 13.
Please guide me through my other queries and share your experiences.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

I don't know how strong UConn is with health law but I have a friend there and can find out. I am in Fordham's PT program and cannot stress how glad I am that I decided to continue working while in school/did the PT route. Working while in school keeps your debt low and your contacts active (and going in-state to UConn is a great idea - again, I think that keeping the debt down is paramount.) Feel free to PM me with questions - I'm a huge fan of PT programs for those of us adding to or changing our careers. Best of luck!

eng_law

New

Post by eng_law » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:16 am

thanks nygrrrl for your thoughts on PT Law time. It only makes sense to go to FT Law program when you are fresh out of college or within 1-5 years of employement. If beyond 10 years and having family and decent job, never abandon your livelihood :) At this moment I haven't really decided if I am targetting for a big law firm after graduating.Only time answers that.Based on my job experience in software technology, I noticed the best from best schools always never made to top with few exceptions.Best schools give stepping stone but not to climb the ladder. Those who know the rules of the game and can manipulate well climbed ladder much faster.This applies to most professions in the world.So for now I am not really looking into the starting salary or working for big law firm.I have passed all those stages in life after working with IT giants.For now I am looking at law only as my parttime profession or go solo after gaining some experience from solo practioners or as weapon to protect you in future business endeavours.Its also the love for subject that drives me to study.But I also dont want to compromise quality.These are my personal thoughts and does not reflect everyone views.

So I am very clear on my choices. 1. Go only for PT Law program. 2. If you want to save money on tution, try for in-state program .If you are particular about ranking look for in-state first else out of state.In my case CT is in-state.If are particular about tution and ranking,if your in-state meets it then bingo, else look for next closest to in-state.For me NY /NJ.NY has tons in top 10 for PT as per 2012 .So Nygrrrl,I will pm you for Jul 2013 NY programs intake.

Also Nygrrl does any of your PT batchmates have similar profile as mine i.e those transitioning from s/w to law. If so , which areas of law are they planning to major. Also if you know outside your school , pls share with all of us.Others pls contribute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”