Intermittent Fasting During 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PinkCow

Re: Intermittent Fasting During 1L?

Postby PinkCow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

MrBertStare wrote:
poloshark wrote:Anyone here do IF? Basically it's an eating pattern where you fast for 16 hours and then having a feeding window of 8 hours during which you hit all your macros. All my aesthetic friends who are thick/solid/tight swear by IF but none of them are in law school.

If anyone does IF, I'm curious how not eating until the evening affects your thinking throughout the daily grind of cases, lectures, etc.

Hey Poloshark, I think you are focusing on the things in law school that don't matter. You are going to get an education which will hopefully lead to future employment. I dont want you to be focusing on becoming aesthetic like your friend Zyzz, do poorly in law school, and then say "this is suk." However, if you think you can maintain a non-poverty GPA at whichever school you attend, I would probably not use IF and just use supplements like celltech. Lots of my friends use celltech and they are in pretty good shape. One of my friends put on 60 pounds in two months. Another one of my buddies, who is "thick, solid, tight" as you say, has arms that are probably 17 inches and cut like diamonds (for lack of a better visual). Anyways, if nothing else please focus on your academics because I don't want you to end up spending all this money on an education and then stuck being a cameljockey.

-Bert

Your friend is either on serious roids or got fat.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Bert,

Strong first post and advice. Sounds like your friend is on dat dere dreamer bulk tho. Or the tech. Please stay safe.
Last edited by poloshark on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm

People actually talk like this?

Edit: And yeah, cell-tech is good for 20-30lbs TOPS. That dude is on roids.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

poloshark wrote:Bert,

Strong first post and advice. Sounds like your friend is on dat dere dreamer bulk tho.

Lol was gonna say the same thing. 60 lbs in 2 months isn't possible. You don't grow a pound of a muscle in a day. It takes a combination of awesome genetics, iron discipline, and perfect nutrition just to gain at a rate of 1 lb of muscle per week. 60 lbs in 2 months is probably the result of some serious roids, but more likely, a whole lot of exaggeration.

MrBertStare

Postby MrBertStare » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Strong first post and advice. Sounds like your friend is on dat dere dreamer bulk tho.

To those who believe my friend is on roids he promised that he wasn't. He actually said that he was on a "dreamer" bulk, which I guess is actually something since PoloShark said the same thing. I just did some google research and found some studies on celltech. Strong results. His muscle gain seems to be kinda normal but then again I don't even lift. Im probably 130 lbs. (last time I used scale was three years ago. On a total sidenote, people in high school called me kiwiburg). Also, I did some research on steroids and I found that it generally has negative consequences for the heart. One aesthetic fellow died of heart related in issues in Thailand because of his usage of sterons. My buddy, the guy you think is on steroids, who we call ChestBro, only trains chest. Once he started doing a full body routine five times a week he put on all that muscle. Maybe his training has something to do with it? Anyways, if you dont want to blow up like the hulk you should probably avoid celltech. The results seem very hardcore. I guess the best alternative would be to lift heavy and take a multi? Once again I cant really speak from experience but all of the research I am doing seems to back up my results. Anyways, good luck with your lifting and academic goals in the year of 2012!
- Bert

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Please...stay safe

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm

MrBertStare wrote:

To those who believe my friend is on roids he promised that he wasn't. He actually said that he was on a "dreamer" bulk, which I guess is actually something since PoloShark said the same thing. I just did some google research and found some studies on celltech. Strong results. His muscle gain seems to be kinda normal but then again I don't even lift. Im probably 130 lbs. (last time I used scale was three years ago. On a total sidenote, people in high school called me kiwiburg). Also, I did some research on steroids and I found that it generally has negative consequences for the heart. One aesthetic fellow died of heart related in issues in Thailand because of his usage of sterons. My buddy, the guy you think is on steroids, who we call ChestBro, only trains chest. Once he started doing a full body routine five times a week he put on all that muscle. Maybe his training has something to do with it? Anyways, if you dont want to blow up like the hulk you should probably avoid celltech. The results seem very hardcore. I guess the best alternative would be to lift heavy and take a multi? Once again I cant really speak from experience but all of the research I am doing seems to back up my results. Anyways, good luck with your lifting and academic goals in the year of 2012!
- Bert

Perhaps he G.O.M.A.D.? Or 2GOMAD? Or 3?

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Perhaps your friend was on dat dere jos a bank non tailored fit OCI bulk?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Your schtick is TTT as fuck

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:20 pm

just to be clear, people that cut look terrible. They look bad and should feel bad. You are going to look like a goon in a suit too.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm

PinkCow wrote:
MrBertStare wrote:

- Bert

Perhaps he G.O.M.A.D.? Or 2GOMAD? Or 3?

Or...and I don't even like saying this word or accusing people of being on it...but maybe he's on the creatine monster?

...not even once

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Last edited by Betharl on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Betharl wrote:I thought IF from a bodybuilding standpoint had been debunked by now. Just like fasted cardio, which was also huge a few years ago, hasn't it been determined there is no real benefit in terms of body composition and is really just a matter of preference?

On a related note, Poloshark is trolling pretty hard, but I find it amusing.

Scientifically, there is basically no benefit if you hold other variables constant. But in practice many people find that they have an easier time sticking to a calorie goal via intermittent fasting than by other common methods (lots of small meals, etc.). And it's proven that there's no detrimental effects associated with what for most people amounts to skipping breakfast.

So it's not a silver bullet and I hate a lot of the hype that has built up around it for that reason, but if you know what you're getting into it can be a very helpful tool.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Betharl wrote:I thought IF from a bodybuilding standpoint had been debunked by now. Just like fasted cardio, which was also huge a few years ago, hasn't it been determined there is no real benefit in terms of body composition and is really just a matter of preference?

On a related note, Poloshark is trolling pretty hard, but I find it amusing.

I don't think most people do IF because of any science. For me:

1) It makes controlling diet easier.
2) I like lifting on an empty stomach. I personally "feel" the effects of caffeine and creatine more when my stomach isn't full.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
poloshark wrote:I mean I don't roll with guys who look like Zyzz or anything lol, but all my bros who lift and are just generally swole-and-juicy/10 ALL follow IF, though they emphasize it's just preference. .

I believe this was on the Reading Comprehension part of the LSAT last year and only one person got it right.

:lol:

I know i straight ZiYz'd dat juicy 10 when I saw on LSAT and it like threw me 26 bro.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm

In other news: WTF. I doubt any health routine you are doing is going to help or hurt too much as long as it isn't too extreme. And perhaps it could help if it does keep you in better health. But I think the biggest thing to avoid is any major changes right around exam time.

chickenalfredo

Postby chickenalfredo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

When I was a 1L I had hopes and dreams, we all did. But sometimes the daily grind gets in the way and you lose focus of dat der fasting

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:32 am

Update: Day 2 of IF. Eating all my calories between 2pm and 10pm. Lifting 3x/wk + one day of cardio (IM ball). Cup of black coffee in the AM before class gets me through until 11 or so but then it's kind of a struggle. Hopefully body adapts soon. Don't feel like it has affected thinking too much. Actually kind of nice to not think about food/snacks etc until feeding window. MOAR brain room for dat Asahi. Nomsayin?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”