Intermittent Fasting During 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
poloshark

Intermittent Fasting During 1L?

Postby poloshark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone here do IF? Basically it's an eating pattern where you fast for 16 hours and then having a feeding window of 8 hours during which you hit all your macros. All my aesthetic friends who are thick/solid/tight swear by IF but none of them are in law school.

If anyone does IF, I'm curious how not eating until the evening affects your thinking throughout the daily grind of cases, lectures, etc.

AlanShore

Re: Intermittent Fasting During 1L?

Postby AlanShore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 pm

poloshark wrote:Anyone here do IF? Basically it's an eating pattern where you fast for 16 hours and then having a feeding window of 8 hours during which you hit all your macros. All my aesthetic friends who are thick/solid/tight swear by IF but none of them are in law school.

If anyone does IF, I'm curious how not eating until the evening affects your thinking throughout the daily grind of cases, lectures, etc.

I do IF, but I'm 0L. I would think it's fine but I finish eating at 7, 730 and eat at 1130 so I think its very manageable. whats your pattern?

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Hey man, I tried this out for a cycle and I stayed strong and dropped quite a bit of body fat. I don't think it affected my mental ability too much as I was able to keep my good grades.

That was in UG, but I can only imagine that not having to do as much meal prep could only be a benefit in LS.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

You get used to it. After the first couple weeks I had more energy and felt just as sharp, without really being hungry during the day. It's also nice to have something to look forward to at the end of your day.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

what is this.

aesthetic friends? wtf

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:You get used to it. After the first couple weeks I had more energy and felt just as sharp, without really being hungry during the day. It's also nice to have something to look forward to at the end of your day.

best name ever

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:11 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:You get used to it. After the first couple weeks I had more energy and felt just as sharp, without really being hungry during the day. It's also nice to have something to look forward to at the end of your day.

is this because dwight doesnt let you eat or do anything unless he gives his consent and blessing, MOES???

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

I mean I don't roll with guys who look like Zyzz or anything lol, but all my bros who lift and are just generally swole-and-juicy/10 ALL follow IF, though they emphasize it's just preference. What I'm wondering is how IF affects relatively intense thinking on a day in and day out basis. Given all talk of "eat a good breakfast before test" etc etc.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 pm

poloshark wrote:I mean I don't roll with guys who look like Zyzz or anything lol, but all my bros who lift and are just generally swole-and-juicy/10 ALL follow IF, though they emphasize it's just preference. What I'm wondering is how IF affects relatively intense thinking on a day in and day out basis. Given all talk of "eat a good breakfast before test" etc etc.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-i ... t-fasting/

I'm a girl but I've been doing it for awhile now-- while eating paleo/primal. I honestly think IF makes my thinking clearer. maybe not, but once you get used to it, it definitely doesn't make me fuzzy or anything. and i know some other fitness freaks who do it and they feel super energetic and clear-headed too.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm thick, solid, tight, AND did IF for basically all of 1L year with nice success. I didn't notice any decrease in my mental stuff, and BCAAs got me through. I would drink a bunch of BCAAs in the morning, go to morning classes, work out around 12:00, then eat from around 1:00-8:00 or 9:00. Mid-afternoon poops are the worst though, especially when you still have like 45 minutes of property left.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Tagged. I'm going to be following this thread carefully. Everyone post all your most crucial IF tips and tricks. TYIA.

danget bobby

Postby danget bobby » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Started IF summer after 1L (currently 2L). Hardest part for me is working late nights and not being able to eat after 9 or 10. Drinking lots of water definitely helps.

I love mornings and early afternoons - nothing better than being as productive as possible not having to think about food.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 pm

poloshark wrote:I mean I don't roll with guys who look like Zyzz or anything lol, but all my bros who lift and are just generally swole-and-juicy/10 ALL follow IF, though they emphasize it's just preference. .

I believe this was on the Reading Comprehension part of the LSAT last year and only one person got it right.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 pm

poloshark wrote:Anyone here do IF? Basically it's an eating pattern where you fast for 16 hours and then having a feeding window of 8 hours during which you hit all your macros. All my aesthetic friends who are thick/solid/tight swear by IF but none of them are in law school.

IF is not going to interfere with law school for you; for you the problem will be a severe shortage of aesthetic people. If you must go, consider special glasses that shield your retina from the ghastly imprint of the un-aesthetic. The good news is that while the aesthetics, as we call them, are a minority, they do tend to stick together and most schools even have an affinity group for them, ALSS (aesthetic law students society). Aesthetics are not a protected class so discriminating against them is legal.

Okay, LOL, maybe I took that too far, but do people within the bodybuilding world really call fit attractive people "aesthetic"? ETA: Before someone accuses me of being fat and out-of-shape, I'm not....I'm 5'8" and 120 pounds (female); I hope that is sufficiently aesthetic.

With regard to your question, I think it will be completely compatible with law school. Even if it does leave you out-of-commission mentally for part of the day, you can study around that; you don't need to study every minute of every day. The one thing to remember is that your class schedule is assigned to you as a 1L at most schools, so if you are dragging in the morning or whatever, you may not be able to avoid having class then.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:35 pm

I met a dude at a bar review mixer last Th who was aesthetic + V10 SA secure. Was mirin.

Postby 071816 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Sounds stupid as fuck and unhealthy.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:42 pm

chimp wrote:Sounds stupid as fuck and unhealthy.

http://old.post-gazette.com/healthscien ... althp2.asp

*edit*

To be fair, this isn't IF in the bbing sense, but fasting has shown many health benefits.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 pm

And to answer the question, I do carb backloading which includes a fast, but it's not as big of a fast as with IF (I fast 12-14 hr). I have all my classes during my fast and have found no decline in cognitive ability. I'm a 2L.

Postby 071816 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 pm

SilverE2 wrote:fasting has shown many health benefits.

I call bullshit

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I have a bunch of bodybuilder-type and uber-athletic friends, and they would roundly agree that intermittent fasting is one of the stupidest and unhealthiest things one can do. Getting bigger and building muscle requires constant fuel and protein intake. Hell, I can barely find a time when those guys are NOT eating. They don't even consider sleeping a "fast", and eat a decent amount of slow-burning protein before bed.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Different strokes for different folks.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

chimp wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:fasting has shown many health benefits.

I call bullshit

Pretty good at backing up your claims.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

I bet some of your friends will be fasting all day tomorrow

MrBertStare

Postby MrBertStare » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey Poloshark, I think you are focusing on the things in law school that don't matter. You are going to get an education which will hopefully lead to future employment. I dont want you to be focusing on becoming aesthetic like your friend Zyzz, do poorly in law school, and then say "this is suk." However, if you think you can maintain a non-poverty GPA at whichever school you attend, I would probably not use IF and just use supplements like celltech. Lots of my friends use celltech and they are in pretty good shape. One of my friends put on 60 pounds in two months. Another one of my buddies, who is "thick, solid, tight" as you say, has arms that are probably 17 inches and cut like diamonds (for lack of a better visual). Anyways, if nothing else please focus on your academics because I don't want you to end up spending all this money on an education and then stuck being a cameljockey.

-Bert

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Everyone's body responds differently, but you'll find that most of the science + anecdotes suggest IF is either cognitively neutral or even beneficial.

Personally I take a good amount of caffeine when I wake up, and once I'm used to the schedule that usually kills any appetite I wake up with and gets me alert/focused. IF might feel like a big change at first, but once you've done it for a while my guess is you'll feel perfectly normal and not even desire breakfast.

Definitely not a concern with respect to law school, even if you find that you don't like IF.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”