Interested in Law and PR

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LWadeNagel

Interested in Law and PR

Postby LWadeNagel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Here is my basic situation...

I am an undergrad student at a top 15 public school in Communication. I plan to double major in Psychology. I am extremely interested in both PR and Law.

I love PR because of the creativity, persuasion, networking, and influence of the work...I am extremely interested in law because of the research, logic, general intellectual rigor, and future choices inherent.

I want money, too; I won't lie. I know all about the misleading law school employment stats, but where I am now I would be competitive for at least Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, and Columbia law schools.

I am also extremely interested in politics/government, but could see myself going into private sector.

Any ideas for my situation; ways to combine these fields? I suppose the obvious answer is lobbying; is that correct?

Swimp

Re: Interested in Law and PR

Postby Swimp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Sounds like you want to be a lobbyist.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read the last sentence haha. Yes, you are correct.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 am

where are these threads as of late coming from

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:53 am

The only reason to go to law school is if you want to practice law. If you want to be a lobbyist, you don't need to waste 3 years and a couple of hundred thousand dollars on law school.

Going to law school to get rich is also a fallacy. Most lawyers aren't getting rich. If you want money do something else that has a better chance of success.

If you think you might want to actually practice law, get a job in a firm or something and see how if you would enjoy being a lawyer.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:13 am

LWadeNagel wrote: but where I am now I would be competitive for at least Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, and Columbia law schools

What are you basing this on? Unless you have an LSAT score, you have no idea what you are talking about.

LWadeNagel

Postby LWadeNagel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:where are these threads as of late coming from

Undergraduate students who want to use this wonderful resource?

sunynp wrote:The only reason to go to law school is if you want to practice law. If you want to be a lobbyist, you don't need to waste 3 years and a couple of hundred thousand dollars on law school.

Going to law school to get rich is also a fallacy. Most lawyers aren't getting rich. If you want money do something else that has a better chance of success.

As I explained, there is a lot about law that I am interested in. From the research that I have done, it seems that lobbyists who go to the Hill (through law or whatever) make considerably more than plain old garden variety lobbyists...is this true?

Hehe well I mentioned that I know the stats are inflated...I am quite aware of the fact that you are likely to not get rich in law. That being said, finance doesn't really appeal to me and consulting is "eh". Given these things, and the notion that I am only going to go to a T6 if I go to law school at all, it seems like a relatively smart money move. Your opinion?

EvilClinton wrote:
LWadeNagel wrote: but where I am now I would be competitive for at least Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, and Columbia law schools

What are you basing this on? Unless you have an LSAT score, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Let me rephrase it. I have (educated) faith in my LSAT score being high, and my grades will meet the mark. If I do not get into a T6, there is zero chance that I would even go to law school.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:52 am

I wouldn't go for what you wanted to do unless it was HYS or you were comfortable with the idea of being a lawyer. If you are then fine. If not your wasting money.

LWadeNagel

Postby LWadeNagel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Not even, say, Chicago?

I feel like I would enjoy the law. I need to learn more about it but from what I have read...it sounds like my thing.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm

LWadeNagel wrote:Not even, say, Chicago?

I feel like I would enjoy the law. I need to learn more about it but from what I have read...it sounds like my thing.

I wouldn't i don't go to a t6 or whatever, but a jd isn't as versatile as people might lead you to believe. If you want to be a lawyer go to law school. If you want to be a professor, consultant, lobbyist, etc. the only semi safe bet is HYS ITE. Otherwise if you want to be a lobbyist I'm sure there is a lot more less expensive ways to get you to your goal than law school.

Also just my two cents the people who came to law school in my class not really having any experience with the law reading cases, or taking an introductory law class mostly dislike law school. The people who really knew what being a law student entailed (reading countless opinons, cases, and other studying tactics) and who actually like doing these things are enjoying law school immensely. So IMO figure out if thats something that interests you, evaluate whether you want to spend three years doing it, and whether the cost justifies the goal.

good luck

ryanmot

Postby ryanmot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:41 pm

LWadeNagel wrote:Here is my basic situation...

I am an undergrad student at a top 15 public school in Communication. I plan to double major in Psychology. I am extremely interested in both PR and Law.

I love PR because of the creativity, persuasion, networking, and influence of the work...I am extremely interested in law because of the research, logic, general intellectual rigor, and future choices inherent.

I want money, too; I won't lie. I know all about the misleading law school employment stats, but where I am now I would be competitive for at least Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, and Columbia law schools.

I am also extremely interested in politics/government, but could see myself going into private sector.

Any ideas for my situation; ways to combine these fields? I suppose the obvious answer is lobbying; is that correct?

Maybe legal recruiting?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”