How does one become a law professor?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
roranoa

How does one become a law professor?

Postby roranoa » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:34 am

I've recently learned that the famous YLS professor Amy Chua became a law professor at Duke after she practiced law at Cleary for some time.

How does this work? I'm assuming that you only need a JD to become a professor in law. Then what else do you do to become a professor? Do you just privately write papers about certain subjects and wait till they get published and then apply for a job after that?

Ruxin1

Re: How does one become a law professor?

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

roranoa wrote:I've recently learned that the famous YLS professor Amy Chua became a law professor at Duke after she practiced law at Cleary for some time.

How does this work? I'm assuming that you only need a JD to become a professor in law. Then what else do you do to become a professor? Do you just privately write papers about certain subjects and wait till they get published and then apply for a job after that?

This is like making a thread how do you become president, I heard Obama went to HLS and summered at Sidley. Now what?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:45 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
roranoa wrote:I've recently learned that the famous YLS professor Amy Chua became a law professor at Duke after she practiced law at Cleary for some time.

This is like making a thread how do you become president, I heard Obama went to HLS and summered at Sidley. Now what?

I admit that this is a weird question to ask and weird in its form. But I really don't know how else to start it off.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:55 am

one does not become a law professor anymore. one is lucky if one can become a lawyer these days.

law professor is not exactly a growth field, especially when people are predicting closures of low-ranking law schools that will flood the legal hiring market with experienced professors. find a new career path, friend.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:37 am

People are not giving you solid answers because it is incredibly hard to become a law professor in today's world, and you need to be aware of that.

The first thing you need to accomplish is go to a Law school that will allow you to teach. I would say probably half of the market (there are actually numbers out there/TLS'ers who know them so I will allow for correction on that percentage) is dominated by Harvard and Yale. Then Stanford, then probably Chicago. Virginia is about the last school in the T-14 that you stand more than a lucks chance at to entering academia.

The next step is generally to get a clerkship. Then you can start throwing you name into the ring, but you will probably have to find another job first because it will probably take a few hiring cycles at least for you to get hired.

Throughout all of this you also need to be writing and attempting to get your work published. Also a PhD (though probably not cost effective considering the chances of you actually landing the law professor job) makes you much more attractive to schools looking to hire. Economics tops the list as to which PhD helps the most.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:41 am

1. Go to harvard or yale.
2. Be on law review.
3. Get something published.
4. WOrk at a presitegious law firm for a couple years.
5. Get some school to hire you so they can brag about your pedigree while you pull down 6 figures teaching kids shit you hardly know about because you practice for 2 years.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 am

Br3v wrote:People are not giving you solid answers because it is incredibly hard to become a law professor in today's world, and you need to be aware of that.

The first thing you need to accomplish is go to a Law school that will allow you to teach. I would say probably half of the market (there are actually numbers out there/TLS'ers who know them so I will allow for correction on that percentage) is dominated by Harvard and Yale. Then Stanford, then probably Chicago. Virginia is about the last school in the T-14 that you stand more than a lucks chance at to entering academia.

The next step is generally to get a clerkship. Then you can start throwing you name into the ring, but you will probably have to find another job first because it will probably take a few hiring cycles at least for you to get hired.

Throughout all of this you also need to be writing and attempting to get your work published. Also a PhD (though probably not cost effective considering the chances of you actually landing the law professor job) makes you much more attractive to schools looking to hire. Economics tops the list as to which PhD helps the most.

Thanks for the useful reply.

But are you saying that one has to write and try to get work published WHILE working at a law firm?

Btw, to those who keep telling me to consider another life path, I'm not looking into become a law professor anytime soon so don't worry.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:00 am

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:1. Go to harvard or yale.
2. Be on law review.
3. Get something published.
4. WOrk at a presitegious law firm for a couple years.
5. Get some school to hire you so they can brag about your pedigree while you pull down 6 figures teaching kids shit you hardly know about because you practice for 2 years.

This, but if you could throw in a Supreme Court clerkship that'd be great as it'd help your odds greatly. (At my school it seems like nearly every professor did at least a CoA clerkship.)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm

bk1 wrote:http://www.law.uchicago.edu/careerservices/pathstolawteaching

OP read this

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Br3v wrote:

OP read this

This is super helpful!!! Thanks very much!

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks!! This is all I need!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”