Northwestern Law Grads Get NYC Offers?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User

Northwestern Law Grads Get NYC Offers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:16 am

I'm looking seriously at Northwestern and am wondering if Northwestern law school grads get a lot of jobs in NYC? I'm hoping to work in law in NYC. But, I don't know how going to Northwestern would hurt my chances of that?

breakinghigh

New

Re: Northwestern Law Grads Get NYC Offers?

Postby breakinghigh » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 am

I got to take a look at OCI bidding prior to transferring. NYC appears easier to obtain than Chicago at Northwestern. The career services office also does a great job providing relevant GPA cutoffs for all the firms and breaks it down by year. I think it's a great choice if you want NYC.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 am

Moved to appropriate forum.

NU does well in NYC (I'd even hazard that it's easier to get than Chicago). I don't think Northwestern would hurt your chances relative to its peer schools. If you really want NYC I'd lean towards CLS/NYU/UChi/Penn if you get any of those at equal cost.

rayiner

Platinum

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 am

From what I've seen, NYC firms go as deep into NU's class as they do at any of the other T14 below HYSCCNP. That said, people at NU strongly self-select away from NYC. I remember when I did OCI (post-recession), I thought one particular V5 was really hard to get from NU because there were just a few NU people there. Then I found out that the firm made ~10 offers in the class after mine, but only 2 people accepted. There was a blip in NU people going to NYC right after the recession, because the Chicago market was bad, but that seems to have abated as the Chicago market recovers.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?