Notre Dame 3L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
clyde13

New

Re: Notre Dame 3L taking questions

Post by clyde13 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:48 am

Any idea how easy it is to get an AR job? It seems like a great way to save a TON of money 2L and 3L years, with the tuition reduction, stipend, housing and meal plan.

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 am

clyde13 wrote:Any idea how easy it is to get an AR job? It seems like a great way to save a TON of money 2L and 3L years, with the tuition reduction, stipend, housing and meal plan.
THIS!

Also, on a side note, can anyone speak about research assistant positions with law professors? I honestly didn't know this was an option in law school, always thought of it as more for grad students in liberal arts or sciences.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:22 pm

clyde13 wrote:Any idea how easy it is to get an AR job? It seems like a great way to save a TON of money 2L and 3L years, with the tuition reduction, stipend, housing and meal plan.
For the male dorms to be honest it's a total black box. I have 4 years of directly on point work experience and got turned down twice. Some dorms only want double domers, others only want people older than 28: you have no way to tell. There are roughly twice as many male applicants as male spots, and the people that got lots of interviews seemed completely random to me.

For the female dorms it's completely different. They have roughly as many applicants as spots so you're in awesome shape.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:27 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
THIS!

Also, on a side note, can anyone speak about research assistant positions with law professors? I honestly didn't know this was an option in law school, always thought of it as more for grad students in liberal arts or sciences.
I think andythefir's response regarding AR positions is pretty much accurate.

Regarding RA positions, depending on the professor they can be very helpful especially if you want a clerkship. Several people near the top of the class were RAs 1L summer for more well known professors and it served them very well so far. It can also be a good way to make some extra money during the school year (I'm doing this now for that reason).

clyde13

New

Post by clyde13 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:21 am

andythefir wrote:
For the male dorms to be honest it's a total black box. I have 4 years of directly on point work experience and got turned down twice. Some dorms only want double domers, others only want people older than 28: you have no way to tell. There are roughly twice as many male applicants as male spots, and the people that got lots of interviews seemed completely random to me.

For the female dorms it's completely different. They have roughly as many applicants as spots so you're in awesome shape.
Weird! But good for me, I guess, as a girl haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jad0re

New

Post by jad0re » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Being 0L, I know little about the legal job market, but I was wondering if factors like ND's national rep and alumni network don't really matter these days like some people on TLS say when getting a job. I thought, if ND used to be prestigious among older generations, who are likely doing the hiring now, wouldn't it be possible to get some kind of an advantage over other school students when getting interview opportunities? or maybe wouldn't you give a better first impression because people associate the school's work ethics character with you?
I would love to hear about your experiences with potential employers.

Also, have you found ND's alumni network to be useful when finding private sector jobs? I have strong ties in Chicago and I would love to build my career there. Are there a lot of ND grads in Chicago who are willing to reach out and help you find internships/etc.?

I personally would love to attend ND but my scholarship offer is not good enough that my total COA would be higher than that at slightly higher-ranked schools. Do you think the advantages of attending ND (if any) offset these extra costs?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 pm

jad0re wrote:Being 0L, I know little about the legal job market, but I was wondering if factors like ND's national rep and alumni network don't really matter these days like some people on TLS say when getting a job. I thought, if ND used to be prestigious among older generations, who are likely doing the hiring now, wouldn't it be possible to get some kind of an advantage over other school students when getting interview opportunities? or maybe wouldn't you give a better first impression because people associate the school's work ethics character with you?
I would love to hear about your experiences with potential employers.

Also, have you found ND's alumni network to be useful when finding private sector jobs? I have strong ties in Chicago and I would love to build my career there. Are there a lot of ND grads in Chicago who are willing to reach out and help you find internships/etc.?

I personally would love to attend ND but my scholarship offer is not good enough that my total COA would be higher than that at slightly higher-ranked schools. Do you think the advantages of attending ND (if any) offset these extra costs?
I can't speak to ND no longer being prestigious/popular, among the people I knew before and during my time at ND people think it's waaaay more prestigious than it is. Alums have been extremely aggressive in helping me and my summer associate position came directly from an alumnus' support. Not to say you should go $250k into debt to be here without a realistic plan, but the alumni network got me my job.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 pm

ND Law isn't super prestigious but the undergrad is. I think you could benefit from that. I'm from Chicago and people love Notre Dame there.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Bump for finals procrastination.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Bump for finals procrastination.
whats your plan post graduation?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:
Sorry, didn't end up doing so much procrastinating with 3 finals back to back to back....but I'M DONE!!! No more law school, ever. Now time to study for the bar. I'm clerking for a district judge starting on August 15.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Fri May 10, 2013 7:21 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:
Sorry, didn't end up doing so much procrastinating with 3 finals back to back to back....but I'M DONE!!! No more law school, ever. Now time to study for the bar. I'm clerking for a district judge starting on August 15.
awesome congrats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”