Who is at the bottom of the class?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iMisto

Re: Who is at the bottom of the class?

Postby iMisto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Thaaaaaank you!! This is what I'm looking for. I didn't even know academic advisors had this sort of info.

Are the professors actually willing to go over your practice exams? I'd imagine they're fairly long...

You guys are life-savers.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:32 pm

iMisto wrote:Thaaaaaank you!! This is what I'm looking for. I didn't even know academic advisors had this sort of info.

Are the professors actually willing to go over your practice exams? I'd imagine they're fairly long...

God you ask a lot of questions.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 pm

iMisto wrote:Thaaaaaank you!! This is what I'm looking for. I didn't even know academic advisors had this sort of info.

some do, some don't. some will request that you make an outline of your analysis, others ask that you email them- and give them a week or 2 notice. the closer to the exam you are, the more difficult it may be to get that meeting ( and why you should try to get a meeting like this in early november when exams are 5 weeks of classes out).

as for the academic advisor, that will take some work on your part. you need to set up an appointment and meet with them in person, and again it all depends on each school- so there is a chance it may not be as useful as you want it to be. all in all, the more effort and work you put in, the more likely a professor will be to help you, and the more helpful and beneficial they will be.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 pm

sparty99 wrote:

God you ask a lot of questions.

I'm going to be forced to create another account. :?

Postby 071816 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:29 pm

iMisto, CALM YOUR BALLS.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 pm

chimp wrote:iMisto, CALM YOUR BALLS.

:D

Postby 071816 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:47 pm

iMisto wrote:

Go out right now and drink seven beers.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 pm

chimp wrote:
iMisto wrote:

Hahaha!! It would probably do me some good.

Postby 071816 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:59 pm

iMisto wrote:
chimp wrote:
iMisto wrote:

Hahaha!! It would probably do me some good.

Yes. Now, step. away. from. the. computer.

DubP5

Postby DubP5 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Question for those who have taken LEEWS...the format that the program utilizes says to look at the exam question at the beginning, and then skim for the conflict pairs. How are you supposed to just skim a 3-4 page long hypo and get all of the conflict pairs? Isn't it more effecient to get the conflict pairs by thoroughly reading the whole exam? I've worked through the program, and have no problem skimming a hypo, but can't imagine the method being successful on a 3-4 page long exam.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Yes. Now, step. away. from. the. computer.

It's my iPhone's fault...

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 am

The Platypus wrote:
iMisto wrote:
Do Prof. like/dislike gunners? I wouldn't want to annoy a professor before I take the only exam that matters.

Grading is anonymous. Doesn't matter.

Some profs (I know of three of mine during 1L) bump grades for class participation. I've personally been bumped 2 letter grade levels for participation. An A is way nicer than a B+.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:27 am

I also know profs who would reserve hints on the exam for people who showed up to office hours. (at least it felt like I had extra insight, mebbe not)

I liked to read papers my professors wrote. It gave me insight into what they found interesting about a given field.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 am

Mmmm... that is helpful. Thank you.

I don't plan on being a gunner, but I do take school seriously and love to participate.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:07 pm

that is the makings of a gunner.....

relax and dont be obnixious

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:13 pm

northwood wrote:that is the makings of a gunner.....

relax and dont be obnixious

Oiyyy. I hope I'm not already obnoxious... just very scared and aware of the importance of 1L grades. I don't want to finish my first year and think, Oh jeeze... I could've asked somebody about this/that.

katjust

Postby katjust » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:18 pm

My guess is that at T-14 schools, being at the bottom of the class (or at least bottom 50%) has something to do with just not knowing how to take the exam.

However, at my T2, the people in the bottom of the class were generally just less intelligent people (not stupid, just less intelligent than those at the top). Of course, there are exceptions, but this seemed the trend. The people at the very top seemed to be the most intelligent.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:19 pm

DubP5 wrote:Question for those who have taken LEEWS...the format that the program utilizes says to look at the exam question at the beginning, and then skim for the conflict pairs. How are you supposed to just skim a 3-4 page long hypo and get all of the conflict pairs? Isn't it more effecient to get the conflict pairs by thoroughly reading the whole exam? I've worked through the program, and have no problem skimming a hypo, but can't imagine the method being successful on a 3-4 page long exam.

EXACTLY. See what I posted earlier in this thread.

LEEWS doesn't work once you get into fact patterns that are 3-4 pages long (which seem to be quite popular amongst professors here at UVA :( ). Honestly LEEWS isn't going to do much for you on that type of exam. Ask Rayiner--this is one thing that I have never been able to figure during my law school career and it's really irritating. Frankly, I won't even take a professor if I know that they like to make those kinds of exams. I know that I just won't do well on the exam regardless of how well I know the material. I simply cannot remember all of the exact details of paragraph 3 of 12 paragraphs that span 4 pages--and how those facts interact with paragraph 7 on page 3.

katjust wrote:My guess is that at T-14 schools, being at the bottom of the class (or at least bottom 50%) has something to do with just not knowing how to take the exam.

However, at my T2, the people in the bottom of the class were generally just less intelligent people (not stupid, just less intelligent than those at the top). Of course, there are exceptions, but this seemed the trend. The people at the very top seemed to be the most intelligent.

TITCR.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:21 pm

katjust wrote:My guess is that at T-14 schools, being at the bottom of the class (or at least bottom 50%) has something to do with just not knowing how to take the exam.

Precisely why I've been begging for help.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:00 pm

iMisto wrote:

It's just week 3.... Give ur self a break... I'm sure a lot of ppl in ur section are feeling the same way... Take notes do ur readings and do the hypos at the end of the book( you know the notes section) and go over them with the prof during office hours... Then in november go over practice exams with the professor

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 pm

northwood wrote:
iMisto wrote:

It's just week 3.... Give ur self a break... I'm sure a lot of ppl in ur section are feeling the same way... Take notes do ur readings and do the hypos at the end of the book( you know the notes section) and go over them with the prof during office hours... Then in november go over practice exams with the professor

Ohhh, Northwood, how I love you. I'm actually waiting on application responses. :mrgreen:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 pm

iMisto wrote:
northwood wrote:
iMisto wrote:

Ohhh, Northwood, how I love you. I'm actually waiting on application responses. :mrgreen:

WAIT. You're not in school? LOL. You're insufferable.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:WAIT. You're not in school? LOL. You're insufferable.

I am going to go ahead and second this.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

ilovesf wrote: WAIT. You're not in school? LOL. You're insufferable.

... just a nervous 0L :lol:

Postby 071816 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:You're insufferable.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”