Efficient Study Techniques for 2L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
autotelic

New

Efficient Study Techniques for 2L

Post by autotelic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi. I know there are a bunch of "How to succeed" topics here, but I don't really see a lot of tips for continued success. I've seen people advocate for different studying after 1L -- stop briefing cases, study more efficiently, don't worry about looking like an idiot when you're on call, etc.

Unlike 1L year, I'm working 20 hours per week right now in addition to 15 credit hours and consequently have less time to spend focusing on reading/studying than I did during 1L year. So I'd like to hear from some 3Ls (or graduates): How did you study efficiently and effectively your second (and third) year(s) and actually SUCCEED/keep your grades and rank competitive? Should I still be briefing cases, or should I only bother with knowing the holding/rule? Is my energy best spent elsewhere? Should I be skimming cases and focusing on reading hornbooks/supplements, or is it imperative that I repeat everything I did during 1L (read/brief all cases neurotically which took hours, thorough outlines, practice questions/e&es, cali lessons, study groups)?

My school has old exams available to review and I intend to go through those for practice. How soon is too soon? I don't want to exhaust all of my practice exam options because I'm only 3 weeks in and the big pictures haven't formed yet.

Thanks.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Efficient Study Techniques for 2L

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Do what worked for you 1L year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”