How much time is too much time at the gym during 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lizardclick

How much time is too much time at the gym during 1L?

Postby lizardclick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:03 pm

I usually lift six days a week and play pickup basketball on 4 of those days (no cardio on leg days). Problem is that this takes ~2.5-3 hours including commute to/from the gym and shower. This is easy to do on weekends and I'm fortunate to have a 3 hour block of time on three of my five weekdays. But I see a lot of my colleagues going straight to the library in between class. I usually study for 4-5 hours after my last class gets out and then 7-8 hours each weekend day. Is this OK or do I need to scale back to minimize chances of getting bottom third pwnd?

barbaraeliz

Re: How much time is too much time at the gym during 1L?

Postby barbaraeliz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 am

Keep the exercise, especially if it keeps you sane. There is no point in spending every waking moment in the library especially 2-3 weeks into the year, you'll being doing that in November & December. If you're comfortable with the material, and feel atop of things, then disregard others study habits, you'll just freak yourself out worrying what everyone else is doing.

lizardclick

Postby lizardclick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks bro. It's kind of tough because literally probably only like 5 guys in my section lift, and everyone seems stressed out all the time.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:54 am

lizardclick wrote:Thanks bro. It's kind of tough because literally probably only like 5 guys in my section lift, and everyone seems stressed out all the time.

They are stressed out because they don't exercise, probably. Also exercising is great for brain function. Keep doing it!

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Speaking from experience (I was a college athlete and I got injured in my senior year)-- if your body is used to a lot of exercise and you suddenly cut way back, it can have really bad effects on your mood/concentration/motivation in general. Unless you feel like you're falling behind, I wouldn't worry about it.

crabcash

Postby crabcash » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Definitely agree with the above, lifting kept me balanced and sane through law school, best part of the day and something to look forward to. Keep it up

lizardclick

Postby lizardclick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Also easier to stand out to law females at bar reviews when 95% of the guys don't lift. amirite? Only been to one bar review so I may not have the most representative sample though.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 pm

I dedicated about 1-2 hours 6 days a week to working out and did very well at a lower T-14. Obviously, you have to be more efficient with your time when you start dividing it among various things, but better to spend it working out than watching daytime soaps.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:07 pm

ITT we break curves and break PRs. Strong body; strong mind.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm

The human body wasn't meant to sit in the library 24/7 thinking. Sure, exercising the brain is nice, but gotta exercise the body too. You may have to make some compromises regarding how many days you go to the gym, how much time you spend there, etc. but absolutely keep it as an important part of your schedule.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”