Reading ahead in 1L classes?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lizardclick

Reading ahead in 1L classes?

Postby lizardclick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Doing personal jurisdiction. My prof jumps around all the time such that I feel like I don't have the most clear big picture view of the doctrine. I mean I read, take some notes, and get the BLL from each case, but some of his hypos in class almost presuppose knowledge that we shouldn't have at this point (i.e., where the court interpreted different nuances of Intl. Shoe, for example). Also he jumps around a lot and it's not like Torts for example, where a lot of different torts seem to be able to be learned in isolation of one another. I feel like in this instance I would really benefit from having a 30k foot view. So, I'm planning on powering through all the rest of the personal jurisdiction case reading (probably will be covered for 2 more weeks) and then just spend my time going over Friendthal hornbook, Glannon, and comparing my notes with outlines I got from upperclassmen from 2006-present.

Is this OK? If so, I think I'll adopt that for each subsequent section too. Just blow a weekend reading and LEEWS quasi brieifing all cases for subject matter jurisdiction, and then for the rest of the time we cover it, just take diligent notes in class, while working off of commercial aids and old outlines. I feel l like everyone in my section is just briefing cases the day or two before class, but I'm not sure that's the best approach here. What to do? tyia.

Wahoos

Re: Reading ahead in 1L classes?

Postby Wahoos » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 pm

GUNNNNNEERRRRR

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

It's September. Drink.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Worthless

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 pm

lizardclick wrote:Is this OK? If so, I think I'll adopt that for each subsequent section too. Just blow a weekend reading and LEEWS quasi brieifing all cases for subject matter jurisdiction, and then for the rest of the time we cover it, just take diligent notes in class, while working off of commercial aids and old outlines. I feel l like everyone in my section is just briefing cases the day or two before class, but I'm not sure that's the best approach here. What to do? tyia.

Setting aside the trolls who replied previously, I'd say that this is totally fine. It's probably more than you need to do, but you'll have a pretty good idea of what's going on if you do it. I'd consider reading Glannon first and then the cases, but I'd also consider reading the cases first and then Glannon; I'm not sure what would benefit you more in a situation like this.

I found personal jurisdiction baffling until I set out what the categories and subcategories of cases we were looking at actually were (I had this "Oh, it's the stream of commerce doctrine that's the problem we've been following for the past two weeks, duh!" moment), and I probably would've benefited sooner if I had done something like what you're proposing.

It's also worth noting that personal jurisdiction is considerably harder to follow than subject matter jurisdiction, so you may not need to do this with future topics in Civ Pro. But it won't hurt you. It might just be unnecessary work sometimes.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:52 pm

tomwatts wrote:
lizardclick wrote:Is this OK? If so, I think I'll adopt that for each subsequent section too. Just blow a weekend reading and LEEWS quasi brieifing all cases for subject matter jurisdiction, and then for the rest of the time we cover it, just take diligent notes in class, while working off of commercial aids and old outlines. I feel l like everyone in my section is just briefing cases the day or two before class, but I'm not sure that's the best approach here. What to do? tyia.

Setting aside the trolls who replied previously, I'd say that this is totally fine. It's probably more than you need to do, but you'll have a pretty good idea of what's going on if you do it. I'd consider reading Glannon first and then the cases, but I'd also consider reading the cases first and then Glannon; I'm not sure what would benefit you more in a situation like this.

I found personal jurisdiction baffling until I set out what the categories and subcategories of cases we were looking at actually were (I had this "Oh, it's the stream of commerce doctrine that's the problem we've been following for the past two weeks, duh!" moment), and I probably would've benefited sooner if I had done something like what you're proposing.

It's also worth noting that personal jurisdiction is considerably harder to follow than subject matter jurisdiction, so you may not need to do this with future topics in Civ Pro. But it won't hurt you. It might just be unnecessary work sometimes.

There is a middle ground between merely briefing day to day and going nuts. Just make sure to keep a big picture perspective. That doesn't require burning out this weekend.

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:33 pm

I think reading an E&E, hornbook, or other supplement would be a better and easier way to gain perspective than reading two weeks ahead in class.

Bruin57

Postby Bruin57 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:36 am

I take a different approach than most law students. I read a few hours before class so i know enough that if i get called on i don't sound like a complete idiot and i know enough to follow the class discussion. I would take great notes then I would read EE and Emanuels outline to see what the cases were standing for and what the professor said in class that was similar or dissimilar. I would then outline the material and study until I knew it like the back of my hand. When i was confused I would go to office hours and ask for the prof to explain to me what the case stood for. I spent 9/10 of my time outlining and reading supplements that explain to me what the law is and 1/10 reading an opinion from a casebook with majorities, concurrences, and dissents that were confusing. It paid off for me and I got the third highest grade in the class.

I recommend trying different things and see what works best for you. It is only week 5/6 so you still have over 10 weeks left. See what works best for you and do that. If you try reading ahead and it makes sense then stick with it. If you are still confused and try something else. One thing i learned from 1L year is that if you do what the rest of the pack is doing you will end up in the middle of the pack.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”