Anyone ever take Graduate Engineering Classes in law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SaintsTheMetal

Anyone ever take Graduate Engineering Classes in law school?

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Since many schools allow you to take a few credits outside of the Law School for credit towards your JD, I was wondering if anyone has taken graduate engineering classes to help with getting an IP job. I realize you would probably have to take them after OCI, but would there be any advantage to someone who has only undergraduate engineering/whatever (and has passed the patent bar already) but telling employers that you'll be taking some graduate Electrical Engineering classes?

I'm planning on coming into law school with BSs in Physics and Math and having taken the patent bar.. so curious if that could possibly help with getting hired by a patent firm

Just wondering if that would even be beneficial, since a grad engineering class will obviously take a ton of work

Danteshek

Re: Anyone ever take Graduate Engineering Classes in law school?

Postby Danteshek » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:48 pm

No. But it sounds like you should become an engineer, not a lawyer.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Danteshek wrote:No. But it sounds like you should become an engineer, not a lawyer.

This is horrible advice, clearly by someone who doesn't know what patent law is.

However - I know physics types who do okay even without EE. But it may be helpful to have some exposure to the technology. That said, having you reg # will be far more beneficial than taking 2 EE courses.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:13 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Since many schools allow you to take a few credits outside of the Law School for credit towards your JD, I was wondering if anyone has taken graduate engineering classes to help with getting an IP job. I realize you would probably have to take them after OCI, but would there be any advantage to someone who has only undergraduate engineering/whatever (and has passed the patent bar already) but telling employers that you'll be taking some graduate Electrical Engineering classes?

I'm planning on coming into law school with BSs in Physics and Math and having taken the patent bar.. so curious if that could possibly help with getting hired by a patent firm

Just wondering if that would even be beneficial, since a grad engineering class will obviously take a ton of work

Maybe having taken a couple circuits courses may convince some employers you could write EE patents, but I don't think it'll help just saying "I WILL TAKE 'EM!"

Also, a few credits is what, 2-3 classes? You aren't going to get much in.

But I am thinking of doing a couple classes I missed out on in my BSEE.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 pm

DF is right.

But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Just get your reg #.

Have you taken no EE? I'm kind of a EE/CS generalist, and I haven't had real issues drafting.

AC Vegas

Postby AC Vegas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Agree with the above. Im not EE and had 2 or 3 interviewers ask me for any examples of EE experience so it would at least give you a good answer to that question.

Edit: although it may look weird on your transcript to other employers.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 pm

sky7 wrote:DF is right.

Have you taken no EE? I'm kind of a EE/CS generalist, and I haven't had real issues drafting.

I have tried to focus on tech and EE side of things in physics.. Taken Electronic Circuits, a year of E&M, solid state physics, etc.. I've just never been really sure how Physics is perceived by patent firms since physics majors obviously learn a bunch of irrelevant theoretical stuff as well

sky7

Postby sky7 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:51 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
sky7 wrote:DF is right.

I have tried to focus on tech and EE side of things in physics.. Taken Electronic Circuits, a year of E&M, solid state physics, etc.. I've just never been really sure how Physics is perceived by patent firms since physics majors obviously learn a bunch of irrelevant theoretical stuff as well

This. Just highlight the above if asked. In my opinion (others may have a different one) you've done enough EE to say you are familiar enough to draft/prosecute.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks a ton for the advice guys. Definitely relieved a little bit of concern and provided some solid food for thought :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”