Is Becoming a Law Professor an Option (Difficult?) ?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ksllaw

Is Becoming a Law Professor an Option (Difficult?) ?

Postby ksllaw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 am

I was curious if anyone had considered becoming a law professor and if so what the path and qualifications might be for it?

Can a law graduate literally apply for these positions out of law school or would they need to work for X number of years doing Y type of work?

Appreciate the feedback guys!!

Icculus

Re: Is Becoming a Law Professor an Option (Difficult?) ?

Postby Icculus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 am

ksllaw wrote:I was curious if anyone had considered becoming a law professor and if so what the path and qualifications might be for it?

Can a law graduate literally apply for these positions out of law school or would they need to work for X number of years doing Y type of work?

Do you even bother using the search function or an Internet search engine?

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 am

Icculus wrote:
ksllaw wrote:I was curious if anyone had considered becoming a law professor and if so what the path and qualifications might be for it?

Do you even bother using the search function or an Internet search engine?

Point taken! I do apologize. I actually did think this was a legitimately more complex question, but confess that probably in a few previous posts that I should have done a Google search first. Will be sure to keep that in mind in future conversation! Appreciate the heads up!! 8)

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 am

My impression is that it's not a good idea to count on "law professor" as a career unless you go to HYS and get on LR.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 am

To have the greatest chances for becoming a law professor, these things tend to help a lot:

1. Go to at least a t-14, and especially HYS.
2. Get on LR.
3. Do Federal Circuit Clerkship.
4. Publish a note on LR.
Other than that, it is pretty competitive. Even at non-prestigious law schools, professors who went to HYS can make up a sizable plurality, and professors who went to a t-14 can be a majority. If going to a non t-14, you pretty much need to be top of your class, and do everything else listed above. These are simply my layman observations on this board and creeping on professor bios on university websites.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:To have the greatest chances for becoming a law professor, these things tend to help a lot:

1. Go to at least a t-14, and especially HYS.
2. Get on LR.
3. Do Federal Circuit Clerkship.
4. Publish a note on LR.
Other than that, it is pretty competitive. Even at non-prestigious law schools, professors who went to HYS can make up a sizable plurality, and professors who went to a t-14 can be a majority. If going to a non t-14, you pretty much need to be top of your class, and do everything else listed above. These are simply my layman observations on this board and creeping on professor bios on university websites.

This, but add Phd and/or multiple post-graduate publications. And honestly, if you want an a more than outside shot, drop the other T-13 and go to Y.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”