1L barbri rep

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
futurejdgirl

1L barbri rep

Postby futurejdgirl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:51 pm

I just got an interview offer but I'm not sure, is it worth it? I've heard people taking the bar without classes but is that rare? I'm not even sure if I want to take the bar but figured things might change in a few years. also is this the only chance I have to become a bar bri rep or can I do it later? Is it too much work? The last thing I want is to overwhelm myself my first semester.

presidentk1

Re: 1L barbri rep

Postby presidentk1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm

why would u go to law school and not take the bar?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:13 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:I just got an interview offer but I'm not sure, is it worth it? I've heard people taking the bar without classes but is that rare? I'm not even sure if I want to take the bar but figured things might change in a few years. also is this the only chance I have to become a bar bri rep or can I do it later? Is it too much work? The last thing I want is to overwhelm myself my first semester.

Do you mean take bar review classes??? You do realize if you do not take the bar at all, you will gain nothing from your JD?

On topic: No, I knew one from my school. All she did was sit at the table doing homework and taking people's CC info to sign them up. Its probably one of the easier paid gigs you can manage during 1L.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:13 pm

You sit/stand behind a table and pass out candy once a week. It's really easy and takes up like zero time.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:20 pm

How did you sign up for said position?

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:23 pm

At my school, literally one hour every other week. Ends a few weeks before exams start. Free bar exam course, or if a firm pays, they cut a check for around 3k.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:25 pm

I am a Barbri rep and did it 1L year. I basically sat at a table doing homework most of the time and signed people up when they came by. Easy gig for a free bar prep course.

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:27 pm

I know an alum who never took the bar because her job didn't require it (international work) as well as some other legal practitioners who didn't need to take it. But that's not something I know I'll have upon graduating, which is why I signed up. There was an email sent out about it and I just submitted this form with my resume. I guess I'll see how I feel during the interview and ask questions then. My thing would be that if I don't end up needing a course if there are any alternative options

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:10 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:I know an alum who never took the bar because her job didn't require it (international work) as well as some other legal practitioners who didn't need to take it. But that's not something I know I'll have upon graduating, which is why I signed up. There was an email sent out about it and I just submitted this form with my resume. I guess I'll see how I feel during the interview and ask questions then. My thing would be that if I don't end up needing a course if there are any alternative options

You should plan to take the bar. If you can get a free class out of it, take the job.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”