Why isn't this easier?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OhHelpMeLawd

Why isn't this easier?

Postby OhHelpMeLawd » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 pm

So, let's say I am kind of an OCD guy, with a 99+ LSAT (who did terrible on logic games)...who is trying to figure out why, after two weeks of law school, I am still somewhat perplexed what I should be doing. Can anyone just tell me what to do?

dietcoke0

Re: Why isn't this easier?

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:25 pm

So you got higher than 99 on your LSAT? Congrats.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:30 pm

You shouldn't be doing anything right now. Your problem is that you're overthinking it. What is it, like your first or second week? You should be making friends and being normal. Do all the reading and understand what's going on, that's it. In a few weeks the bigger picture will start to come together

OhHelpMeLawd

Postby OhHelpMeLawd » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:So you got higher than 99 on your LSAT? Congrats.

Yes and you're probably doing better than I am in law school, so it's not a boast. I am just wondering if anyone out there is like me who did super-well in law school and can help me out. (The discrepancy between the logic games and the other sections points to how left-brained I am. This can lead to tunnel vision and disorganized thoughts...I don't integrate well between my spatial and logical systems.)

I have a lot of thoughts on the matter. They change every day. The only thing I can think of is that scene in the paper chase in which Hart is arguing with his girlfriend saying "but I want to know what we are doing together! I want things to be determined! To make sense! To have an end!"

I think that's the key. I can't think that way.

I mean, that's all well and good. But I am still scared as hell I am going to write something dumb on an exam. Top fears include: a) I'll spend too much time on something that interests me. b) I'll weasel some way to make a claim that the professor never intended to suggest, and get points deducted. c) my "analysis" will be too pedestrian, for fear of putting too much of me, and my arguments into the test. d) I'll focus in on some top-level issue, like intent, consent, or anything negligence related, or causation, or whatever, and miss some collateral way to approach the issue...like, "well there was negligence, but was there an intentional tort on a transferred intent basis.." or something like that. I don't even know what I'm talking about, but you get the idea...maybe in crim law, talked about the underlying crime, but never about conspiracy...

Just thoughts to broadcast to the interwebs...that's all...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 pm

OhHelpMeLawd wrote:

Yes and you're probably doing better than I am in law school, so it's not a boast. I am just wondering if anyone out there is like me who did super-well in law school and can help me out. (The discrepancy between the logic games and the other sections points to how left-brained I am. This can lead to tunnel vision and disorganized thoughts...I don't integrate well between my spatial and logical systems.)

I have a lot of thoughts on the matter. They change every day. The only thing I can think of is that scene in the paper chase in which Hart is arguing with his girlfriend saying "but I want to know what we are doing together! I want things to be determined! To make sense! To have an end!"

I mean, that's all well and good. But I am still scared as hell I am going to write something dumb on an exam. Top fears include: a) I'll spend too much time on something that interests me. b) I'll weasel some way to make a claim that the professor never intended to suggest, and get points deducted. c) my "analysis" will be too pedestrian, for fear of putting too much of me, and my arguments into the test. d) I'll focus in on some top-level issue, like intent, consent, or anything negligence related, or causation, or whatever, and miss some collateral way to approach the issue...like, "well there was negligence, but was there an intentional tort on a transferred intent basis.." or something like that. I don't even know what I'm talking about, but you get the idea...maybe in crim law, talked about the underlying crime, but never about conspiracy...

You need better awareness.

The 99 comment was intended to poke fun at you for claiming to get a score higher than 99 (points) on a test that starts at 120. (Yes, people realize you were referring to 99th percentile, but it can be helpful to actually fully write out what you mean.) Also, you are not terrible at games if you got a score in the 99th percentile. (What is that currently, like a 172/173?) Maybe you started out awful at games (I did too), but you obviously had to get much better at them (unless you just had a truly bizarre split of misses, something like RC: 0, LR1&2: 0, LG: 8 ).

Stop worrying that have disorganized thoughts means you aren't meant for law school--I think people who thrive without a set structure are those that do naturally well at law school. People who need things to be black and white are the ones who usually initially struggle.

As for your concerns:
a) Take tons of practice tests so you train yourself not to do this.
b) Most professors don't take off for stupid stuff. Feel free to barf out some crazy analysis and move on. (Just don't spend too much time on it. See heading a) above.)
c) Just practice analyzing situations in different ways. This is what everyone is trying to learn right now.

All in all, stop stressing out so much.

OhHelpMeLawd

Postby OhHelpMeLawd » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
OhHelpMeLawd wrote:

You need better awareness.

The 99 comment was intended to poke fun at you for claiming to get a score higher than 99 (points) on a test that starts at 120. (Yes, people realize you were referring to 99th percentile, but it can be helpful to actually fully write out what you mean.) Also, you are not terrible at games if you got a score in the 99th percentile. (What is that currently, like a 172/173?) Maybe you started out awful at games (I did too), but you obviously had to get much better at them (unless you just had a truly bizarre split of misses, something like RC: 0, LR1&2: 0, LG: 8 ).

Stop worrying that have disorganized thoughts means you aren't meant for law school--I think people who thrive without a set structure are those that do naturally well at law school. People who need things to be black and white are the ones who usually initially struggle.

As for your concerns:
a) Take tons of practice tests so you train yourself not to do this.
b) Most professors don't take off for stupid stuff. Feel free to barf out some crazy analysis and move on. (Just don't spend too much time on it. See heading a) above.)
c) Just practice analyzing situations in different ways. This is what everyone is trying to learn right now.

All in all, stop stressing out so much.

Thank you. Makes sense. I will stop stressing so much. I have a friend visiting for the long weekend...that'll prolly decompress me. Imma just gonna go with it...

btw, my logic games never got below, I think, -12 on practice tests...so yea, haha, I went -0 on everything else the day of..I think -12 on LG... weird, amirite...

OhHelpMeLawd

Postby OhHelpMeLawd » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 pm

It's good to know that I am not the only one too...I like talking to people and seeing other "i'm freakin out" threads. Actually it's kinda cool...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”