Patent Bar Qualifying Requirements Clarification

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cahwc12

Patent Bar Qualifying Requirements Clarification

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:03 pm

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/GRB_March_2012.pdf

B. CATEGORY B: Bachelor's Degree in another Subject.
An applicant with a Bachelor's degree in a subject other than one of those listed in Category A,
must establish to the satisfaction of the OED Director that he or she possesses scientific and
technical training equivalent to that received at an accredited U.S. college or university for a
Bachelor's degree in one of the subjects listed in Category A. To establish such equivalence to
the satisfaction of the OED Director, an applicant can satisfy one of the following four options,
other training, or other education listed below. The applicant must submit the necessary
documentation and objective evidence showing satisfaction of one of the options or other means
of qualifying.

i. Option 1: 24 semester hours in physics. Only physics courses for physics majors will be
accepted.

ii. Option 2: 32 semester hours in a combination consisting of the following:
8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics, and
24 semester hours in biology, botany, microbiology, or molecular biology
The 8 semester hours in chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics must be obtained in two
sequential courses, each course including a lab. Only courses for science or engineering majors
will be accepted.

iii. Option 3: 30 semester hours in chemistry. Only chemistry courses for chemistry majors will
be accepted.

iv. Option 4: 40 semester hours in a combination consisting of the following:
8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics, and
32 semester hours of chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular biology, or
engineering. (For Computer Science, see other acceptable course work.)

Can someone clarify B.iv for me? It seems like "combination" implies one of two things:
8 hours of chem/phys sequence w/labs PLUS
32 hours in ONE of chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular biology, or
engineering.

OR
8 hours of chem/phys sequence w/labs PLUS
32 hours in SOME COMBINATION OF chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular biology, or
engineering.

Originally I assumed it meant thelatter, but upon rereading I'm now unsure. B.i and B.iii state requirements of 24 physics hours and 30 chemistry hours, so it seems that the first interpretation of B.iv would be redundant (at least for the 32 physics hours and 32 chemistry hours interpretation).

Does anyone have any idea?

I do not have one of the acceptable hard science degrees, but can qualify for the patent bar via either B.i or B.iv by taking a few classes in the spring as a transient/non-degree-seeking student. I would much rather go with B.iv because it gives me more flexibility in course options.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by cahwc12 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Patent Bar Qualifying Requirements Clarification

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:07 pm

I think the 'SOME combination' interpretation is correct. At least that's how I've read it.

markdighton

Postby markdighton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 pm

That IS correct. 32 semester hours in ANY combination of the technical fields listed.
Sincerely,
Mark Dighton, Esq.
Admin. Director, Patent Bar Review
PLI

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:05 pm

thank you very much! :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”