1l question.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
minnie7

1l question.

Postby minnie7 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:26 pm

What can one do to distinguish themselves from the pack this early on(classes just started) Should I read ahead? Should I look at supplements? Should I reread material to really comprehend it? I feel like stuff is too easy so far, but I'm only reading/briefing for tomorrow's readings. I feel like I need to do more with my available time(btw i'm getting plenty of social/gym time too).

badaboom61

Re: 1l question.

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Reading ahead is probably fruitless. Reading supplements along with what you're doing / one day ahead might be a good idea. If you really want to be on your game, plan your studying so that you finish studying and completely comprehend all the material on the last day of class, and then spend all of your exam cramming time doing practice exams rather than cramming material.

Postby 071816 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:35 pm

OP, you may want to consider calming your balls.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 pm

minnie7 wrote:What can one do to distinguish themselves from the pack this early on(classes just started) Should I read ahead? Should I look at supplements? Should I reread material to really comprehend it? I feel like stuff is too easy so far, but I'm only reading/briefing for tomorrow's readings. I feel like I need to do more with my available time(btw i'm getting plenty of social/gym time too).

You can certainly distinguish yourself by doing these things. Unfortunately, it's not that useful unless the professor knows about it. Be sure to mention your early preparation as much as possible in class, using helpful phrases like "As I was reading ahead to the next chapter..." or "In my outside research I've found..."

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:45 pm

And while doing the above, prepare to be scorned by your classmates while not doing anything to actually improve your grade (in most cases), as that will depend almost entirely on the exam score. Asking good question = good. Asking good question based on future reading and specifically remarking on that = path to hated gunner-dom.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Get a good outline from an upperclassman early and follow alone with it in class and use it start developing your outline.

Also, write a few sample cover letters (firm, government/public interest, etc.) and rework your resume. Spend some time on nalp and martindale to figure out where you want to apply in advance to be totally prepared for Dec. 1st.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:09 pm

I have a question. I am at MVP and the reading loads are really large (especially torts). I am briefing cases, which I am now hearing si a waste and also trying to read the "Notes" after cases and take notes on that as I go. I am finding this to be to much of a time sink. Each day I fall behind a little more. This included 8 hours of solid reading on Saturday. It is just the first week, so I was wondering, do people basically ignore the "Notes" if they are not usually included in class discussion?

Basically what is important to take away from the readings for the actual Finals?

Any help is appreciated.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:52 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I have a question. I am at MVP and the reading loads are really large (especially torts). I am briefing cases, which I am now hearing si a waste and also trying to read the "Notes" after cases and take notes on that as I go. I am finding this to be to much of a time sink. Each day I fall behind a little more. This included 8 hours of solid reading on Saturday. It is just the first week, so I was wondering, do people basically ignore the "Notes" if they are not usually included in class discussion?

Basically what is important to take away from the readings for the actual Finals?

Any help is appreciated.

If I've said this once, I've said it a hundred times: It depends on your professor! Some professors choose their casebooks because they really like the notes and the note cases and they test on them. Others only care about the main cases. Others don't care about any of the cases themselves and only care about the BLL that you can find in supplements. Solution? Ask your professor, and ask 2Ls/3Ls who have taken the class before you. After you've had a few weeks of the class, check out a past exam or two and see if you are studying material that would have been on the test, that will be a good clue (but not amazing, since exams can only test a limited set of information from the class).

Postby 20130312 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:54 pm

It's way too early to be this concerned, you guys.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”