Technology/Patent law from a non T-14?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ampm

Technology/Patent law from a non T-14?

Postby ampm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 pm

I'm a recent grad, currently working full time in a large technology/business firm i.e. client work, engineering, etc.

I have a 3.367 GPA, double major (engineering + business) from a top school.

I'm planning on taking the lsat in dec and expect to score around 167-171 hopefully (based upon my current prep).

That being said, looking at my situation pessimistically, if I don't get into a T-14 how difficult would it be to obtain a technology law position given my background?

deadpoetnsp

Re: Technology/Patent law from a non T-14?

Postby deadpoetnsp » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm going through OCI right now at a T-25.

The outcome will largely depend on your law school grades. If you don't have good law school grades, but have IP/patents related work experience, you should still be ok. An engineering degree by itself will be somewhat of a boost in that you can apply to firms that require a technical degree. But if you have poor law school grades and no prior IP experience, then you will probably be SOL.

Also: a good LSAT will not guarantee good law school grades. Especially for engineers.

ampm

Re: Technology/Patent law from a non T-14?

Postby ampm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:13 pm

What constitutes past ip patent work?

So simply doing engineering and business related work is not enough.

How is the job security situation doing such work in house or at a firm?, assuming most people don't make partner?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”