Patent law-prosecution

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tbird

Patent law-prosecution

Postby tbird » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:22 am

This question is for law school graduates who have passed the patent bar and are practicing patent prosecution. Is it mind numbingly boring? I have gone to lunch with a few attorneys who genuinely seemed to love prosecution, but they were all also managing partners doing really well. Other people I have talked to have said it is really boring and technical drafting patent applications and dealing with uspto.

I have a deep passion for technology and science, and meeting with clients with new ideas and technology is what got me excited about ip. I am afraid it is nothing like I imagine.

I am a rising senior in Chemical Engineering. I have a solid gpa(3.96), as well as connections that may help me get on with intel or Boeing. Am I better off skipping the three years and debt and just getting a job now as an engineer? I worry that I won't enjoy that either, working for the man for life with little possibility of running my own gig where as an attorney I might someday.

Decisions, decisions....any constructive advice is appreciated.

snyphil2

Re: Patent law-prosecution

Postby snyphil2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Why don't you try working as an engineer if you can and reassess from there? Job experience, particularly as an engineer, will make you more desirable to law firms if you choose to go that route, plus you get some interesting life experiences, and if you don't like it, you have an escape hatch.

flops89

Postby flops89 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 pm

snyphil2 wrote:Why don't you try working as an engineer if you can and reassess from there? Job experience, particularly as an engineer, will make you more desirable to law firms if you choose to go that route, plus you get some interesting life experiences, and if you don't like it, you have an escape hatch.

This.

tbird

Postby tbird » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:46 am

This is great advice. I am going to apply to law schools now since I am already done with everything. Then in the Spring I will pursue engineering jobs and see what presents the best opportunity.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”