JD & MBA joint program

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mastahodang

JD & MBA joint program

Postby mastahodang » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 am

I recently graduated from college and decided to pursue a higher education in either law or business. I know there is a 4 year program for JD+MBA and I want all your expertise and advice on whether or not if the JD+MBA is more advantageous than simply getting JD. Simply, what is the benefit of getting this dual degree?

Also, I was wondering, if I want to specialize in patent, tax, medical, real estate, or corporate law, would I be better off pursuing MBA and building my professional experience? Or can you do without the basic knowledge? For example, if I want to specialize in tax law, do law schools teach me the actual tax as well or just the laws related to tax? I can't help but to wonder if I can do without actually knowing what I'm dealing with.

1) What was your undergrad degree? And what are/did you study at law school?
2) Did you have prior professional experience before law school? Any licence (i.e. CPA)? Why did you attend law school?
3) If pursued separately, what do you think is the right order of pursuing? MBA then JD, or JD then MBA?
4) In your experience, what is a good "match/combo" for JD and MBA when pursued together?
5) Other than getting stellar LSAT scores, what are some extracurricular activities that might boost my chances at succeeding at law school? FYI, I'm on my gap year so anything is a possibility!
6) What are some creative ways you familiarized yourself with law-related practices/terms?

I would appreciate any advice as I am totally new to this. Thanks a bunch!

tbird

Re: JD & MBA joint program

Postby tbird » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 am

I am not an attorney, but have worked at a boutique firm that specializes in estate planning and tax for over 3 years. I have seen a lot of attorneys come and go. Here is what my experience has taught me:

Managing Partner's credentials: J.D. LLM(tax at NYU) CPA ChFC CLU

1. The managing partner prefers people with either accounting, or some other type of business undergraduate degree. He always asks them if they took all of the tax courses available that they could take in law school, he calls them(and himself) tax nerds.
2. He especially likes to hire people having their CPA. He likes his attorneys to have solid credentials to showcase on the website and to clients, regardless of them ever using CPA-type skills. An LLM, preferably from NYU in tax is also recommended, and can now be completed online. I have heard that the LLM is better to pursue after a few years of practice so you actually know what practicing law is like, and can then apply what you learn more effectively.
3. I think J.D. first. If you want a job requiring J.D., then the MBA won't do you much good. Looks good next to your name on a business card. Coming out of school, no matter how many degrees you have, you won't know a thing about practicing law. I say get the JD, try to find a job, and start becoming trained and skilled at being an attorney, and then work on the MBA as a part time gig for extra credit. Or do the joint JD/MBA program as you noted. The MBA isn't usually nearly as much of a boost as the CPA for our tax nerds to get hired.

That is about all I can comment on from your post. I am also wanting to pursue the JD/MBA route somewhere. I am studying engineering, and would really like a more solid business foundation; both because it interests me, and also to better advise future business clients.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 am

Instead of graduating and then "pursuing a career in law or business" by getting two super expensive degrees at the same time, get a job and figure out which thing you really want. Any decent MBA program will demand that you do.

mastahodang

Postby mastahodang » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 am

IAFG wrote:Instead of graduating and then "pursuing a career in law or business" by getting two super expensive degrees at the same time, get a job and figure out which thing you really want. Any decent MBA program will demand that you do.

I would, if I actually could get one *sigh* Been trying to get a job in Marketing and it didn't really work out.

mastahodang

Postby mastahodang » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 am

tbird wrote:I am not an attorney, but have worked at a boutique firm that specializes in estate planning and tax for over 3 years. I have seen a lot of attorneys come and go. Here is what my experience has taught me:

Managing Partner's credentials: J.D. LLM(tax at NYU) CPA ChFC CLU

1. The managing partner prefers people with either accounting, or some other type of business undergraduate degree. He always asks them if they took all of the tax courses available that they could take in law school, he calls them(and himself) tax nerds.
2. He especially likes to hire people having their CPA. He likes his attorneys to have solid credentials to showcase on the website and to clients, regardless of them ever using CPA-type skills. An LLM, preferably from NYU in tax is also recommended, and can now be completed online. I have heard that the LLM is better to pursue after a few years of practice so you actually know what practicing law is like, and can then apply what you learn more effectively.
3. I think J.D. first. If you want a job requiring J.D., then the MBA won't do you much good. Looks good next to your name on a business card. Coming out of school, no matter how many degrees you have, you won't know a thing about practicing law. I say get the JD, try to find a job, and start becoming trained and skilled at being an attorney, and then work on the MBA as a part time gig for extra credit. Or do the joint JD/MBA program as you noted. The MBA isn't usually nearly as much of a boost as the CPA for our tax nerds to get hired.

That is about all I can comment on from your post. I am also wanting to pursue the JD/MBA route somewhere. I am studying engineering, and would really like a more solid business foundation; both because it interests me, and also to better advise future business clients.

Thank you so much :) I didn't really think about the "part-time" option. Will think about it!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”