day to day schedule

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OhioU26

day to day schedule

Postby OhioU26 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:06 pm

I am setting up a day to day schedule and i was curious what you guys do. Do you read two days in advance (read for wed on monday, read for thurs on tues etc) or one day in advance (read for tues on monday, you get the point) Does it make a difference?

Gorki

Re: day to day schedule

Postby Gorki » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

OhioU26 wrote:I am setting up a day to day schedule and i was curious what you guys do. Do you read two days in advance (read for wed on monday, read for thurs on tues etc) or one day in advance (read for tues on monday, you get the point) Does it make a difference?

I only did the reading for that day. In practically every class some Gunner or on the off-chance even a meaningful class discussion would cause us to fall behind... So keep in mind you might not get that last case or two in, and that gets pushed back.

However, I would not wait until the day before to do all of your reading (Ex. Class is Monday and Thursday, you can read anytime after Monday's class but waiting until Thursday morning might stress you out a lot).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 pm

I would do my reading the morning of the day for which it was assigned, but I also got up at 5am on weekdays. I'm a morning person and I really liked being as fresh as possible for potential class participation, but this schedule was not at all the norm. Just shows there are a lot of ways to do 1L, and you'll figure out in your first couple weeks what works for you.

OhioU26

Postby OhioU26 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:39 pm

so it is basically whatever i feel the most comfortable with? (besides waiting to the morning before the class)

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I would do my reading the morning of the day for which it was assigned, but I also got up at 5am on weekdays. I'm a morning person and I really liked being as fresh as possible for potential class participation, but this schedule was not at all the norm. Just shows there are a lot of ways to do 1L, and you'll figure out in your first couple weeks what works for you.

I did the same thing. We had a break before our afternoon class and I did the reading for that class during lunch. It really depends on what you're comfortable with. Do your reading for your first classes earlier to give yourself time to understand. If you find that you take a while or need to reread to understand, do the reading a few days before. If you don't have trouble with it and don't really take notes as you read, you can get away with doing it the day of.

lustre_mud

Postby lustre_mud » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I would do my reading the morning of the day for which it was assigned, but I also got up at 5am on weekdays. I'm a morning person and I really liked being as fresh as possible for potential class participation, but this schedule was not at all the norm. Just shows there are a lot of ways to do 1L, and you'll figure out in your first couple weeks what works for you.

this is a good approach. mine was different: stay at school after classes were over and do the next day (or days') reading. Basically treated it like an 8-6/7 job, that way I could relax when I got home without the "i should be studying, but i'm watching tv" anxiety.

OhioU26

Postby OhioU26 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:02 pm

thanks guys, i really appreciate it

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Did you guys have a hard time getting ahead? It seems incredibly difficult to find time to do anything but read and take notes for the next class

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm

mr.hands wrote:Did you guys have a hard time getting ahead? It seems incredibly difficult to find time to do anything but read and take notes for the next class

I didn't try to get ahead, but I'm a slacker. I outlined after we finished chunks of the syllabus and refined it over the semester, and I looked at supplements and practice problems for the topics we had covered. We also had a pretty good reading period before our exams started and in between each test for me to make last minute additions.

You'll get faster at reading and taking notes as the semester goes on. Eventually you'll know which parts of the reading you can skim and which you should focus on, depending on what your prof emphasizes.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:35 am

I never got ahead unless a professor got behind. But again, I built a lot of my schedule around having the material fresh in my mind for class, so I didn't like to get ahead because then the little details would go soft in my head.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”