Loyola Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cciesquare

New

Re: Loyola Law School

Post by cciesquare » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I am looking into the Loyola Law School's night program, can anyone tell me what the class schedule is like?

For example is it class 6PM to 10PM Monday through Friday or is it just two to three days a week?

SK714

New

Post by SK714 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:40 pm

cciesquare wrote:I am looking into the Loyola Law School's night program, can anyone tell me what the class schedule is like?

For example is it class 6PM to 10PM Monday through Friday or is it just two to three days a week?
Monday through Thursday 6-9 actually. Around 9 hours of class weekly.

vvoc

New

Post by vvoc » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:31 pm

cciesquare wrote:I am looking into the Loyola Law School's night program, can anyone tell me what the class schedule is like?

which would you recommend to a current applicant: Part-time student at Loyola or Full-time student at Southwestern?

which do you think would have better job prospects eventually? do the part-time programs even affect your future job prospects? thanks!

SK714

New

Post by SK714 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:49 pm

vvoc wrote:

which would you recommend to a current applicant: Part-time student at Loyola or Full-time student at Southwestern?

which do you think would have better job prospects eventually? do the part-time programs even affect your future job prospects? thanks!
I am just a 1L, so you may want to get the advice of a 2L, 3L, or a graduate. Better yet, call random firms that you know higher from both schools and ask them. A great deal of it depends on your performance and initiatives. (A top 10% student at Southwestern may do better, learn more, and get a better job than an average Loyola Day student, or conversely a top 10% student in Loyola's evening program can do better than the Day student or SW student... you get the picture.) Also depends on personal taste. Go check out the campuses, the libraries, the classes, the people. If you'll be commuting, TRY THE COMMUTE during rush hour. SW and LLS are only a few miles apart, the distance between the two can take 5 minutes on a sunday, or 30 minutes on a weekday morning. This makes a huge difference if you're commuting from the valley like I am. The SW library is much bigger, fancier, quieter. The LLS library is more lively, intimate, with more natural lighting. I can go on and on about various factors that should play into your decision. My best advice is to check them both out. In the end, it is what you make of it.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 pm

I just applied to Loyola this past weekend. it's a very solid school and i hope to be accepted and have it as a viable option next fall :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:13 am

Can anyone offer any comments on the LLS JD/MBA program?

SK714

New

Post by SK714 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Duralex wrote:Can anyone offer any comments on the LLS JD/MBA program?
As far as personal experience? Or how it works?
From what I know, it is just an extra year, but requires some summer coursework. The good things seems to be that some law classes count towards the MBA, and some business classes count towards the JD. The bad thing is that the business classes are at the Marina Del Ray campus so you wouldn't be able to take law classes concurrently with MBA classes. I personally know an alumni that did the program. He had nothing but good things to say about it, but it didn't seem like the MBA helped him much in getting his current job or in the course of his work at the job.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks for the info.

Nice suit.

SK714

New

Post by SK714 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Duralex wrote:Thanks for the info.

Nice suit.
Nice robe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Just wanted to toss my two cents into the "is Loyola in a bad area?" debate.

It's not too bad: I've never felt unsafe and I'll park my expensive car on the street without a second thought, day or night.

People who claim that it's isolated from anywhere interesting, are totally wrong: it's a 10 minute walk to lots of great Downtown bars, lounges, restaurants, museums, galleries, etc. Besides, the DASH bus can take you most nearby locales quickly, and for like, 50 cents or something. Furthermore, the Metro Red line is also a 10 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride.

AkronHammer

New

Post by AkronHammer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:03 am

SK714 wrote:

Nice suit.
Nice robe.

This is the best exchange I've seen on TLS.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Decision Mailed 1/22!!

Zannie1986

New

Post by Zannie1986 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm starting to get nervous..I feel like I should have heard by now...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 am

anyone hear anything yet?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Still waiting, but the LSAC took forever to process my LoRs.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I've been complete since early January.

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I also posted this in the Class of 2013 section, but if any current students are on here...

Anyone following the Sports and Entertainment Law route? How is the program/professors?

Do you know of any apartment complexes near school that law students tend to live? (can't stand commuting in LA traffic)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bconly

New

Post by bconly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Will a current 1L please post their schedule?? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm jumping into. Thanks.

goletasb

New

Post by goletasb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm

bconly wrote:Will a current 1L please post their schedule?? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm jumping into. Thanks.
+1 ... also curious what the average schedule of classes is like. I'll be commuting from west LA, so I'm trying to get an idea of what times I'll be sitting in traffic.

Avill

New

Post by Avill » Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 pm

goletasb wrote:
bconly wrote:Will a current 1L please post their schedule?? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm jumping into. Thanks.
+1 ... also curious what the average schedule of classes is like. I'll be commuting from west LA, so I'm trying to get an idea of what times I'll be sitting in traffic.

Schedules differ in terms of what section you're in. There are four day sections (and I think 2 evening sections, although I wouldn't quote me on that.) As incoming 1Ls, you have no control over what section you're placed in.

I lucked out and was in Section 3 this year. While other students in the other sections were waking up early to catch their 8 am classes, none of my classes started earlier than 10 am (except for one-- LRW.) My fall schedule is as follows:

Monday
10:00 - 11:20 Criminal Law
1:10 - 2: 50 Torts
3:30 - 5:00 Property

Tuesday
10: - 11:20 Criminal Law

Wednesday
1:15 - 2:15 Civil Procedure
3:30 - 5:00 Property

Thursday
10:00 - 11:20 Criminal Law

Friday:
9:45 - 11:45 Legal Research and Writing
1:15 - 2:15 Civil Procedure

This semester, I had 9 am classes three days out of the week, but didn't have to get to class til 1:15 pm on Mondays, so I definitely still preferred my schedule over other sections. Hope this helped!

... Now back to studying for my Civ Pro final! 8)

goletasb

New

Post by goletasb » Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Dude, so helpful. Thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Admitted today. Woot!

MavEryck

New

Post by MavEryck » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:19 am

Hello,

I was accepted two days ago and I'm very excited!!!

I received other letters.However, this was the one I have been waiting for!!!

There is nothing to be worried about (re:area), as long as you use common sense. This holds true in most places. If you don't bother people, then people generally do not bother you.

A female classmate of mine at undergrad (in Orange County) felt uncomfortable walking to her car at night, even though there never any reported problems. I parked near her and walked her to her car at night. Problem solved. She felt comfortable and we had good conversations while we walked.

So, my suggestion is to walk in pairs (the Army taught us that). Make a friend and walk together when possible. In today's world of cell phones and texting, I'm sure that you can coordinate meeting and arriving at or leaving class around the same time.

When I went to the mock law class at Loyola, I parked in the parking garage and had to stop at the security booth. The booth is staffed with a guard and it is not reasonably foreseeable that anyone will experience any danger.

I sincerely hope no one passes up on an acceptance to Loyola because of anything they have heard about the surrounding area.

Good luck to everyone! :D

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:47 pm

AkronHammer wrote:
SK714 wrote:

Nice suit.
Nice robe.

This is the best exchange I've seen on TLS.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”